+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 135 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081121 ... LastLast
Like Tree704Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

It looks like there will be another season of Mr. Selfridge ... which in my opinion ended up being a pretty good show.
    Florimel and Imperfect1 like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I agree, echo226. I'm quite enjoying Mr. Selfridge. One of the things they said at the end of the show is that season 2
    Click to see Spoiler:
    will pick up 5 years after the end of season 1

I don't really think that needed to be in spoiler tags because it was stated by Jeremy Piven in the interviews that are part of the show at the end of each episode, but I'm never sure what's allowed here and what isn't.

A side note that isn't part of Masterpiece, but is part of PBS's Great Performances series, and I don't think there's a thread for that. I watch a version of Verdi's opera, Rigoletto, last week and it was magnificent.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I finally got around to watching the finale episodes of Midwife and Selfridge. BOTH are so deliciously good! Hate to wait over six months to see the next seasons.

I loved Midwife from episode one of the first season BUT was on the fence with Selfridge in the beginning. Boy, was I wrong. It turned out to be a fabulous show with wonderful stories, characters, and acting.
    Marlena_M and Imperfect1 like this.

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

My smart little self set the PVR to get two episodes of Selfridge that we would miss while traveling. Sat down last night to watch them. For some reason, all I got was the first minute of BOTH episodes!?!

Grrrrrrrr.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    I was on the fence with Selfridge in the beginning. Boy, was I wrong. It turned out to be a fabulous show with wonderful stories, characters, and acting.
    I felt exactly the same way, tinderbox. In fact, I almost didn't get past the 1st episode. I stopped watching after the 1st 15 minutes --- and then, caught a re-run of that episode and essentially forced myself to sit all the way through it. By the end of episode two, I was hooked, but I almost missed a great series, because I was so turned off by the beginning. And now I can't wait for the sequel, especially since I've read a bit about the real Mr. Selfridge's life --- and he really was a piece of work!!!

I am so upset, I thought I recorded the last episode of 'Call the midwife' something went wrong, and I don't have it
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I am so upset, I thought I recorded the last episode of 'Call the midwife' something went wrong, and I don't have it
    It looks like you can watch the full episode on line at PBS.org. I am not sure about On Demand, but you can check that out too.

Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    It looks like you can watch the full episode on line at PBS.org. I am not sure about On Demand, but you can check that out too.
    I tried that echo- because I am in Canada I am unable to watch it
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I've watched Mr. Selfridge from the beginning..sure, the pilot wasn't flat out amazing but most pilots are generally a bit slow because they have the task of introducing ALL the characters and beginning plot arcs in ONE show...it's just kind of the norm. Once we headed into the following episodes the show became another hit for me just like Downton and Call the Midwife (come to think of it, I probably liked the pilot of Call the Midwife less than many shows I have seen in a long time) and I hope it benefits from rabid publicity like these other two hits have (where folks don't judge the series by the first episode and rather jump on the bandwagon for the name).

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I tried that echo- because I am in Canada I am unable to watch it
    Well you can try coming to the U.S, ... just avoid any bridges that connect to Washington State.

Seriously ... that is too bad. I am not familiar with how things work in Canada ... but there seems to be many ( in Canada) here at FORT ... so maybe someone will come up with something ... or perhaps it will be aired again.? Hope so.

Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread