+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 140 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast
Like Tree877Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater

"She's never more righteous than when she's in the wrong." Maggie Smith gets all the best lines!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    "She's never more righteous than when she's in the wrong." Maggie Smith gets all the best lines!
    I love her character! She's one of my favorites on the show.

I loved last night so much better than the premiere. Great to see Thomas back at his slimy best. That was so noble of Mary not to reveal Lavinia's secret when she was under so much pressure to do so, and it could have led to her own happiness. Wow, that took real strength of character. It's nice to see her and Edith growing up and maturing.

Speaking of pressure, poor Daisy. It looks like William might want a quick wedding. Poor girl, what a terrible position to be in. I also kind of sympathize with the family's irritation. It's one thing to want to help the troops, but to be guilted into giving up most of your house for who knows how long would get on my nerves, too.

Looks like the fireworks explode next week for Matthew's mother. Duck!
    Moontat likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

And she deserves them!
    Moontat likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    And she deserves them!
    Totally! I was bummed that she didn't win the Golden Globe last night. She deserved it.

I watched a video of a panel discussion with Hugh Bonneville, Joanne Froggatt, Elizabeth McGovern. Michelle Dockery and Dan Stevens (along with a co-creator and producer) the other night on (I think) the PBS site and one of them said that some of Maggie Smith's lines are ad libbed. They also said that she's hilarious. I adore her, so I'm happy to see her in anything. I LOVE her as Violet. She delivers a line to Sir Richard in the season finale that is dead-pan and totally hilarious....pretty much like most of her lines!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Maggie Smith gets all the best lines!
    And here's further proof! 'Downton Abbey': Lady Violet, the Dowager Countess' notable quotables - Zap2it

Downton Abbey - PBS

Is anyone watching the PBS series, Downton Abbey? Or is this covered somewhere
    else in another thread?

Wow, this IS a hard thread to find. My prior comment was moved over from the
    non-reality show thread.
    With all of the crap on tv, it is so great to find something with such rich characters
    and great writing!
    Moontat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ladygreco View Post
    Wow, this IS a hard thread to find. My prior comment was moved over from the
    non-reality show thread.
    With all of the crap on tv, it is so great to find something with such rich characters
    and great writing!
    This thread is in the Non-Reality forum too

Gotta love the Mouse! JORY'sMom's Avatar

It's strange though that Downton Abbey doesn't have it's own thread. Masterpiece Theater includes many shows and miniseries. It IS confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by JORY'sMom View Post
    It's strange though that Downton Abbey doesn't have it's own thread. Masterpiece Theater includes many shows and miniseries. It IS confusing.
    It is indeed, and I agree that Downton Abbey merits its own thread. Perhaps it's because, like most British series, its seasons are generally shorter than most US series.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread