+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 140 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879119 ... LastLast
Like Tree876Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    It was a heartbreaking story, but did you notice how lovely the ending was? I have read the real story didn't turn out that way. The version in the book was quite different. She doesn't die, but things were different. I'll put in spoilers if anyone wants to know what really happened.

(It's my understanding that this show is based on the stories from the true life of Jenny, who was a midwife during that time. Poetic license is used to change some of the details, though the main characters and stories are real.)
    I would love to know
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Does Call the Midwife take place in the 50s or the 60s?? I thought I read it was the early 60s but the music played is from the 50s, I think. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I would love to know
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Okay. I need to be clear that I have not read the actual books, but I read this version from someone who claims they did.
    They said that the real lady was found near death after the botched abortion and taken for medical care. She survived, however, the baby also survived, though the medical staff for some reason did not know. Which is odd. She and her husband kept it a secret and they delivered the baby when it was born in secret. Later, they called the medical staff who found the baby dead in a pan. The couple was not prosecuted because they could not prove the baby was born alive. No one but the couple knows what really happened.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Okay. I need to be clear that I have not read the actual books, but I read this version from someone who claims they did.
    They said that the real lady was found near death after the botched abortion and taken for medical care. She survived, however, the baby also survived, though the medical staff for some reason did not know. Which is odd. She and her husband kept it a secret and they delivered the baby when it was born in secret. Later, they called the medical staff who found the baby dead in a pan. The couple was not prosecuted because they could not prove the baby was born alive. No one but the couple knows what really happened.
    Really- that's very interesting. Thanks Debb
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Really- that's very interesting. Thanks Debb
    Wow, I have a hold on the book at the library, will have to read that one. I read the first two books, and yes the show does vary from them, but I find both fascinating.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Wow, I have a hold on the book at the library, will have to read that one. I read the first two books, and yes the show does vary from them, but I find both fascinating.
    It really is very well done. I love it. .
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Please give us your opinion when you read it. I haven't decided if I want to or not.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Are the books called "Call The Midwife"?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Are the books called "Call The Midwife"?
    It's a trilogy of books. Here's a link about them. It is her memoirs from the 1950's.

Call the Midwife (book) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please give us your opinion when you read it. I haven't decided if I want to or not.
    Will do. The first one was very good, the second was okay, I think this one should be pretty good.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread