+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 145 FirstFirst ... 18585960616263646566676869707172737475767778118 ... LastLast
Like Tree908Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Comment about Mr. Selfridge this past week.

Really? He's in a coma, wakes up, WALKS to work alone (not even wearing a necktie), passes out in front of the building and all of the suffragettes gather round him, so grateful that his store has a window in their honor.

Corny. No other word to describe it. Very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Comment about Mr. Selfridge this past week.

Really? He's in a coma, wakes up, WALKS to work alone (not even wearing a necktie), passes out in front of the building and all of the suffragettes gather round him, so grateful that his store has a window in their honor.

Corny. No other word to describe it. Very disappointing.
    Yeah. Especially considering that, in real life, Selfridge was in a coma for six long months! There's no way he would wake up and immediately take a little stroll to work. This part of the episode was way too sappy.
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Did anyone watch Part 1 of The Bletchley Circle this past weekend? It's a miniseries about 4 women who worked for the Bletchley Circle during WWII as codebreakers. Four of them, frustrated with being relegated to their pre-war female status take on the hunt for a serial killer.

I found it very entertaining and am looking forward to watching the rest of it. Here's a link that tells more about it.

http://tv.nytimes.com/2013/04/20/arts/television/the-bletchley-

circle-on-pbs.html?_r=0

I watched episode one ... have episode two recorded and the season has only 3 episodes.

I think it is an excellent show. The Four women are very smart and each have special talents which is why they were code=breakers to begin with.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I'm enjoying Bletchley as well. Well acted, love the locations. Hope they pick it up for another season!

I watched the finale for Bletchey Circle last night. I thought it was excellent.

Perhaps I missed something, but what was the WHOLE truth about Bletchley? Recall at the end when the one woman is warning Susan that if she tells her husband one thing, then the WHOLE thing will come out. It sounded like she was referring to something more than the fact they worked at Bletchey as decoders. What really happened? Was there something that was not revealved in the show?

Call the midwife -Chummy returns next week
    libgirl2 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I watched the finale for Bletchey Circle last night. I thought it was excellent.

Perhaps I missed something, but what was the WHOLE truth about Bletchley? Recall at the end when the one woman is warning Susan that if she tells her husband one thing, then the WHOLE thing will come out. It sounded like she was referring to something more than the fact they worked at Bletchey as decoders. What really happened? Was there something that was not revealved in the show?
    I'm not certain, but I don't really think so. The Bletchley girls were required to sign Britain's Official Secrets Act, which meant they were forbidden from telling anyone what they did in the war and that included husbands. So, at that time, I think they'd be in big trouble if it came out. I have no idea when it was declassified.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Call The Midwife.......a couple of episodes back, my heart broke for the woman who was so desperate to not be pregnant, and went to an abortionist and almost died. She was pregnant with #8, and she and her husband could not afford another child. It was just a sin and a shame that nothing could be done to prevent pregnancy back then, unless you had the money and the connection. She and her husband were ridiculously fertile. She asked to have her tubes tied, and was refused by the doctor; had she had the money, I'm sure it would have been a different circumstance. The abortion left her with a perforated uterus and septicemia and, gratefully, unable to have children after that. We are so blessed to live in this day and age!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Call The Midwife.......a couple of episodes back, my heart broke for the woman who was so desperate to not be pregnant, and went to an abortionist and almost died. She was pregnant with #8, and she and her husband could not afford another child. It was just a sin and a shame that nothing could be done to prevent pregnancy back then, unless you had the money and the connection. She and her husband were ridiculously fertile. She asked to have her tubes tied, and was refused by the doctor; had she had the money, I'm sure it would have been a different circumstance. The abortion left her with a perforated uterus and septicemia and, gratefully, unable to have children after that. We are so blessed to live in this day and age!
    I found that episode very difficult to watch! The choices women had to make back then were horrific!
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    It was a heartbreaking story, but did you notice how lovely the ending was? I have read the real story didn't turn out that way. The version in the book was quite different. She doesn't die, but things were different. I'll put in spoilers if anyone wants to know what really happened.

(It's my understanding that this show is based on the stories from the true life of Jenny, who was a midwife during that time. Poetic license is used to change some of the details, though the main characters and stories are real.)

+ Reply to Thread