+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 145 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677117 ... LastLast
Like Tree909Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Do you recall which season and how the young boy comes to live with the postmistress? And the girl that works as her maid, but acts like a daugther? I noticed that neither of them appear on the old episodes. I take it, it's season one.
    The young boy was around season 3 or 4. Can't remember when the maid comes - but it was after the actress who played the old maid passed away, if memory serves. If you check imdb.com, they have a synopsis of each episode.
    Debb70 likes this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Do you recall which season and how the young boy comes to live with the postmistress? And the girl that works as her maid, but acts like a daugther? I noticed that neither of them appear on the old episodes. I take it, it's season one.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The young boy, Sydney, was actually the son of James Dowland, a gentleman who came to Candleford for a short while, and owned (or ran) the big hotel across the street from the post office. Before Sydney came to Candleford (after his mother died), James never knew he had a child, and Sydney just didn't take to his father at all --- but Dorcas took him in and loved him and mothered him, and after a fairly short period of time, James Dowland decided to leave Candleford, and allowed Sydney to stay with Dorcas permanently. I think it was in the 2nd season that James Dowland first came to Candleford --- and Sydney came later, it might even have been in the 3rd season.

The young maid you're talking about must've been Minnie --- the goofy one. Originally, at the beginning of the series, Dorcas had a very old, crotchety housekeeper named Zilla. She eventually died and was replaced by Minnie who came to Candleford, I think in the 2nd season.

The other young girl staying/working in the post office was Laura Timmons, who was the daughter of Robert and Emma Timmons, from Lark Rise. To me, Laura was the one who really seemed like Dorcas' daughter --- actually, the Timmons' were Dorcas' cousins, so they actually were related. Laura came to work at the post office in the very first episode of the series, and was one of the major stars of the series.

Great series! One of my favorites, and it took me a few episodes to really get into it --- but once I did, I really appreciated the quality of the story, the acting, the production -- and everything. Like the 'Midwives' series, Lark Rise to Candleford was based on the autobiographical memoirs of the real life Laura Timmons (whose real name was Flora Thompson).
    AZChristian likes this.

I am thoroughly enjoying Call the Midwife and recommend it to those of you who haven't seen it. Really good stories and acting. I'm sure they'll show repeats of seasons one and two during the summer...right?? (The Christmas special was excellent.)

Each and every episode of Mr. Selfridge is better than the last. I've grown to love this show and I'm even beginning to appreciate Jeremy Piven in the title role.
    Marlena_M and Imperfect1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    I am thoroughly enjoying Call the Midwife and recommend it to those of you who haven't seen it. Really good stories and acting. I'm sure they'll show repeats of seasons one and two during the summer...right?? (The Christmas special was excellent.)

Each and every episode of Mr. Selfridge is better than the last. I've grown to love this show and I'm even beginning to appreciate Jeremy Piven in the title role.
    I agree. I really love Call the Midwife, and I think Piven is a wee bit better each week.His supporting cast is very good
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but in Lark Rise wasn't Minnie running away from an abusive father and had to keep herself alive by whatever means she could until the Postmistress and Laura took her in and taught her?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    I had the EXACT same reaction. I had a hard time getting through the first episode ( I saw it on-line --- so it was only the 1st hour of what was aired on PBS) but I watched the 2nd episode anyway, and I kind of liked it --- in fact by the 3rd episode I had really gotten to know the other characters and totally became hooked! Ended up really enjoying the show, and even Jeremy Pivens. Recently I found out that a 2nd season has been filmed, so I'm really interested in that, because the later years of (the real-life) Mr. Selfridge's life were extremely interesting --- and I wondered why PBS stopped the show where they did --- with no wrap up. But now, because there's a season 2, I understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but in Lark Rise wasn't Minnie running away from an abusive father and had to keep herself alive by whatever means she could until the Postmistress and Laura took her in and taught her?
    You could be right, Florimel. I know that Minnie had had an abusive past --- but I don't remember any details being given. I tried to do a search on-line, but all I found was just that little bit of information, and no details.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

So all of this talk about LRtC got me looking up some stuff online, and reminded me of what a wonderful series it was. I had a generous balance left on my Amazon gift card, so ---- I bought the whole series.

Love me some Brendan Coyle!

This is not about Masterpiece by it is PBS, so I figured this is the place for it.

Did anyone watch Live at Lincoln Center last night? It was a performance of Rodgers & Hammerstein's Carousel and it was marvelous. The show resonates with a full orchestra playing. Operatic baritone, Nathan Gunn, starred; he is arguably the best Billy Bigelow since the original, John Raitt. Kelly O'Hara was a wonderful Julie Jordan and Stephanie Blythe as Cousin Nettie was outstanding. That, to me, is music. It's not the same as being there in person, but it's a good substitute.

I'm sure it will repeat, but I don't know just when.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The young boy, Sydney, was actually the son of James Dowland, a gentleman who came to Candleford for a short while, and owned (or ran) the big hotel across the street from the post office. Before Sydney came to Candleford (after his mother died), James never knew he had a child, and Sydney just didn't take to his father at all --- but Dorcas took him in and loved him and mothered him, and after a fairly short period of time, James Dowland decided to leave Candleford, and allowed Sydney to stay with Dorcas permanently. I think it was in the 2nd season that James Dowland first came to Candleford --- and Sydney came later, it might even have been in the 3rd season.

The young maid you're talking about must've been Minnie --- the goofy one. Originally, at the beginning of the series, Dorcas had a very old, crotchety housekeeper named Zilla. She eventually died and was replaced by Minnie who came to Candleford, I think in the 2nd season.

The other young girl staying/working in the post office was Laura Timmons, who was the daughter of Robert and Emma Timmons, from Lark Rise. To me, Laura was the one who really seemed like Dorcas' daughter --- actually, the Timmons' were Dorcas' cousins, so they actually were related. Laura came to work at the post office in the very first episode of the series, and was one of the major stars of the series.

Great series! One of my favorites, and it took me a few episodes to really get into it --- but once I did, I really appreciated the quality of the story, the acting, the production -- and everything. Like the 'Midwives' series, Lark Rise to Candleford was based on the autobiographical memoirs of the real life Laura Timmons (whose real name was Flora Thompson).
    Thank you and others for all the background. This helps a lot!

Ref. Laura Timmons. I recall an episode when her mother and Dorcas have words. Laura's mother thinks Dorcus is overstepping her role. I CANNOT imagine how Laura's mother and Dorcus come from the same family. They are very different in manner and even have very different accents.

+ Reply to Thread