+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 158 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374114 ... LastLast
Like Tree866Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

FORT Fan

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Wanted to say that while the Midwives series did not premiere on Sunday in our area it is going to be on Thursday night. So maybe other areas where it wasn't shown on Sunday will also have it on different nights.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Also, for those of you who have additional "local" PBS affiliates (PBS related stations), they sometimes run the same shows as PBS but at different times --- so you can often catch PBS shows on those other networks as well.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Click to see Spoiler:
    Big news! Jeremy Piven was on Tavis Smiley's interview show last night on PBS and he reported that "Mr. Selfridge" has been picked up for a 2nd season! In fact, he went on to say that the original premise of the show was to be a 4 season series. That is so interesting to me because after jumping the gun and watching the whole first season of "Mr. Selfridge" (on line), I went and looked up Harry Selfridge, and found out that what happened in his life AFTER the events shown in the first 10 episodes, are equally, if not more, interesting than those we're being shown in Season 1. So now, with Season 2 coming, I understand why Season 1 was ended the way it was. Stay tuned. . .

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Took me forever to get through the first episode of the Selfridge show, but I think I will be returning. I don't exactly know what it is about Jeremy Piven, but there is something about him.......? Maybe I'll be able to name it later.

The hats on the women did not bother me, but I am also a big fan of period pieces. Everything seemed to look as it should have. I hope they are not all 2 hours long. 1 would be sufficient.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I've just finished watching Selfridge and did enjoy it. However, I do understand how some of you feel about Jeremy Piven. Hmmm.... I would loved to have seen another actor in the role.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It finally occurred to me what about Jeremy Piven's performance bugged me. It's like he's doing a non-stop impersonation of comedian Tim Allen. For what Jeremy delivered, so far, Tim may as well be doing the role.
    AZChristian and Debb70 like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Well, I can't help make comparisons with Downton Abbey with regard to the actors, acting, costuming, etc.

The time frame is so close ... so were things that different in the city versus rural areas?

I understand that Selfridge was a brash American, but the rest of the cast is mostly Londoners.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fan

About "Midwife." Well now the station in our area is starting the new season, running episodes first on Thursday night and then repeating them on Sunday. Don't know why the delay or why Thursday.
    *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    It finally occurred to me what about Jeremy Piven's performance bugged me. It's like he's doing a non-stop impersonation of comedian Tim Allen. For what Jeremy delivered, so far, Tim may as well be doing the role.
    I'm not sure what it is about him that I don't care for, but I only made through a little of this series, when I gave up. It's just not for me.

CCL

Call the Midwife: Chummy, no, don't go. But I did enjoy the scenes of her husband training with Fred. It would be interesting if they showed her in Sierra Leone, though I don't think they will. When all the boys of her troop came out singing to her... I hope she's not missing from too many episodes.
    The story with the other nurse (Cynthia) was very wrought. I'm glad they're focusing more on the other nurses this season, and not just on Jenny, with Trixie last week and Cynthia this week.

Haven't seen this week's episode of Mr. Selfridge yet but I did see last week. Mr. Selfridge was probably my least favourite part. They don't seem to show his inner motivation much, he just always seems "on." I hope they show more of the interaction on the shop floor. I like the one shop assistant (Miss Towler).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread