+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 156 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273113 ... LastLast
Like Tree846Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

FORT Fan

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

I'm neither here nor there re Jeremy Piven so I am puzzled why so many do not like him. Is there a specific role or some type of behavior that has turned so many off to him?

Just curious.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I must confess that I looked up Jeremy Piven on IMDB, and I don't think I've ever seen him in anything before. He didn't bother me, but hubby said, "Couldn't they get anybody else to play Selfridge? That guy is overdoing every scene." I personally think that was part of the character, but it's okay for hubby to be wrong. ;-)

Having said that, I liked the show. I just wonder in any of these shows . . . doesn't ANYONE ever remain faithful to their spouse?

I agree, AZ. He was over the top, but I think the character was supposed to be over the top.

I loved the big hats. But I like fashion of that time frame much more than today's freaky high fashion as seen on Project Runway. What they call edgy, I call ugly. Even high fashion designers of earlier times, and I'm not going so far back as this shows time period, made clothes people could wear if they could afford them. I'm thinking of names like Chanel, Cassini, Don Loper, Givenchy, and the like. Just my opinion and probably not a popular one around here.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I agree, AZ. He was over the top, but I think the character was supposed to be over the top.

I loved the big hats. But I like fashion of that time frame much more than today's freaky high fashion as seen on Project Runway. What they call edgy, I call ugly. Even high fashion designers of earlier times, and I'm not going so far back as this shows time period, made clothes people could wear if they could afford them. I'm thinking of names like Chanel, Cassini, Don Loper, Givenchy, and the like. Just my opinion and probably not a popular one around here.
    I love costume dramas. IMO Downtown does theirs very well. The clothes etc are appropriate to the era but do not distract from the story and the characters the way that the clothes, especially the huge hats did for me last night with Selfridge.

I kept thinking how hard it would be to wear on of those and how carefully one would have to stand and walk in order not to have the hat fall off when I should have been concentrating on the story and the characters instead.

I've been known to watch the same movie or series numerous times just to make sure I haven't missed any of the period costumes.

CCL

I know when I think of a diva song I think of "If I Were a Boy" by Beyonce. /sarcasm
    There would be so many more appropriate songs, including ones by Beyonce.
    I think the show was just trying to throw a bone to the actress friend as she had her role taken away from her by Karen (who seemed to feel no compunction that her return would mean that her friend's chances at the role were gone) and they didn't have any drama about it.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I think Jeremy Piven is really really really good at playing Over The Top (OTT) characters. Obviously not knowing much about Selfridge himself, it's hard to know if Piven's doing him justice. I read up a bit last night but was tired so didn't get into as much personality detail as I was looking for.

I like JP when he's playing larger-than-life characters (ex. Ari on Entourage) but he comes across as completely unlikeable when it's a "normal guy" character.
    Florimel likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I know when I think of a diva song I think of "If I Were a Boy" by Beyonce. /sarcasm
    There would be so many more appropriate songs, including ones by Beyonce.
    I think the show was just trying to throw a bone to the actress friend as she had her role taken away from her by Karen (who seemed to feel no compunction that her return would mean that her friend's chances at the role were gone) and they didn't have any drama about it.
    This is weird. The above was for Smash and I don't know how it ended up here! I purposefully avoided this thread till I had watched Midwife. Maybe this new post will somehow end up in the Smash thread.
    Midwife was good. It was rather the hooker episode - Molly, Kristen even Noakes studying up on prostitution laws for his promotion. I did enjoy the Trixie -Sister Evangeline scenes. Not enough Chummy. Anyone get the feeling that Chummy is going to have wanderlust this season? I know she said the East End was now her home but she was looking at missionary postings to Africa in one scene and then at the end she sent a letter off that was addressed to some missionary person (I didn't catch the full name).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Nebula View Post
    I love costume dramas. IMO Downtown does theirs very well. The clothes etc are appropriate to the era but do not distract from the story and the characters the way that the clothes, especially the huge hats did for me last night with Selfridge. I kept thinking how hard it would be to wear on of those and how carefully one would have to stand and walk in order not to have the hat fall off
    I love period dramas too, and I guess I'm kind of used to seeing those huge (usually ugly) hats. The thing that REALLY gets me though, is what horrible UNDERGARMENTS women had to wear. Those rigid corsets with metal or bone stays, and ties in the back that pulled their waist in so tightly that they nearly couldn't breathe --- and then in later years those horrible girdles that were so painful to wear. Picture Spanx made out of heavy rubber and three times as uncomfortable! Especially in the summer when you're so hot and sweaty under the girdle. Ugh! I couldn't do it.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    I love period dramas too, and I guess I'm kind of used to seeing those huge (usually ugly) hats. The thing that REALLY gets me though, is what horrible UNDERGARMENTS women had to wear. Those rigid corsets with metal or bone stays, and ties in the back that pulled their waist in so tightly that they nearly couldn't breathe --- and then in later years those horrible girdles that were so painful to wear. Picture Spanx made out of heavy rubber and three times as uncomfortable! Especially in the summer when you're so hot and sweaty under the girdle. Ugh! I couldn't do it.
    They didn't call 'em "fainting couches" fer nuthin
    Imperfect1 likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

FORT Fan

I remember reading somewhere that the corsets were so tight that some women had their livers cut in half by their corsets. Eeeuuww!

Also read that some women had their lowest ribs removed so their waists could be smaller.

+ Reply to Thread