+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 134 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172112 ... LastLast
Like Tree704Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

I watched Call the Midwife and recorded the Mr. Selfridge to watch later this week.

LOVED CTM! They are able to show such a dark side of history, but yet bring you up showing the humanity that also existed.

I watched and enjoyed Mr. Selfridge very much, and I'm looking forward to more. I'm not sure how many episodes there are, but I did a little search and I think the number is 10.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar

There are 10. I watched them all. It was OK, but I just couldn't get past my dislike for Piven.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I watched and enjoyed Mr. Selfridge very much, and I'm looking forward to more. I'm not sure how many episodes there are, but I did a little search and I think the number is 10.
    I watched the first hour but it didn't really engage me enough to take my mind off of all I had to do today (Monday). So I switched over to Celebrity Apprentice and Omarosa and The Donald did the trick. I hear that the rest of the Selfride episodes are better than the first one so I'll give it another chance next week.

FORT Fan

Was anyone else bothered by some of the fashions? Those huge and very ugly hats drove me nuts. And the fact that all the women had the same hairstyle. It reminded me of CGI where all the thousands of soldiers etc all look alike.
    Miss_Griss likes this.

I watched the premiere of Selfridge, and it was okay, but certainly no Downton. Downton is a classy soap opera that fits into the Masterpiece mold, but Selfridge seems like a more gimmicky drama, like Pan Am, (or dare I say The Love Boat), where the "wow" factor of the store (or plane or boat) is a big part of the show, and serves as the springboard for all the stories.

Maybe it was just because the first 2 hours were about getting the store opened, and hopefully things get more in-depth/personal in upcoming episodes -- I have them all saved so I may not wait till each Sunday to find out. But overall, it was okay but it didn't hook me like Downton has.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Nebula View Post
    Was anyone else bothered by some of the fashions? Those huge and very ugly hats drove me nuts. And the fact that all the women had the same hairstyle. It reminded me of CGI where all the thousands of soldiers etc all look alike.
    While I did really like this show last night I will agree that hat on ROSE (Mrs. Selfridge) was HUGE!!!

I even remarked to my DH that it looked wayyyyy to big on her.
    KAREN

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    While I did really like this show last night I will agree that hat on ROSE (Mrs. Selfridge) was HUGE!!!

I even remarked to my DH that it looked wayyyyy to big on her.
    And at least one on the music hall lady looked like it was ready to fall off. When I find the costumes more attention grabbing and distracting than the story I know that there is something wrong with the show. I will watch next week if possible but I ended up finding the first hour mostly annoying so they will have to do a really good job to "convert" me.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm going to check it out this week, just in case I am missing something I don't want to live without!! I didn't think I'd give two hoots about CTM after seeing only the Christmas episode right before the Downton season 3 began, but I was wrong, wrong, wrong! I'm getting sick of all of this "must-not-miss" TV.....but I REQUIRE it!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I watched the premiere of Selfridge, and it was okay, but certainly no Downton. Downton is a classy soap opera that fits into the Masterpiece mold, but Selfridge seems like a more gimmicky drama, like Pan Am, (or dare I say The Love Boat), where the "wow" factor of the store (or plane or boat) is a big part of the show, and serves as the springboard for all the stories.

Maybe it was just because the first 2 hours were about getting the store opened, and hopefully things get more in-depth/personal in upcoming episodes -- I have them all saved so I may not wait till each Sunday to find out. But overall, it was okay but it didn't hook me like Downton has.
    It's funny you mentioned The Love Boat because while watching the promos I thought of The Love Boat, and even moreso the long-ago Hotel, with Connie Selleca. I could see a department store setting being used the same way as a hotel or a plane or a boat. I'll give Selfridge a chance, although I'm not much of a Jeremy Piven fan (and judging from this thread, there may not be many).

Not much out there compares to Downton Abbey. I marathoned it last week during Comcast's free Watchathon. So many hours sitting in front of the tube, but so worth it!
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

+ Reply to Thread