Page 6 of 145 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast
Like Tree908Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater

Yay! My library has a copy on order!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I watched Upstairs/Downstairs about a zillion years ago, and really got hooked on it. I am glad to see it revived.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Totally forgot this was airing! I'm going to have to catch up this weekend so I'm ready for the next episode.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I forgot it as well and will be playing catchup. I am set to record now - thanks for the reminder! I loved the original and am excited about this new one.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The good thing is that it is repeated about 10x/week!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Wow, I really had to go digging for this thread!

Is anyone else thrilled that Downton Abbey is back on Masterpiece Classic? I actually missed the premiere because my cable/internet was down, but I caught up yesterday. I've been waiting so patiently and NOT watching online, but now I think I may break down and watch the rest of the season online. I just have to know what happens....... NOW!

I have to say, Edith has gotten even more irritating. Now she's off flirting with a married man!? Where does she think that's going to go? He's just going to leave his wife and she's going to work the farm with him? I pretty much want to slap her all the time. Mary, on the other hand, has become one of my favorite characters. My heart broke all over again for her last night as she had to watch Matthew with someone else. It's obvious that they're still in love with each other.

Also, how awful is Bates's wife!? ARGH! Poor Anna. I'm glad Carson told Robert why Bates really left. That clears the way for him to come back. Now, will anyone ever tell Robert what happened with Mary and Mr. Pamuk?

Speaking of Masterpiece....the new season of Sherlock is airing on BBC right now and I've watched the first two installments online. I can't believe it, but it's even better than the first season! I think it will air on PBS starting in May, but I couldn't wait.
    Moontat and Imperfect1 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Critical, you would have my undying gratitude if you would PM me a link of where I can catch Sherlock, I don't want to wait until May either !! I just saw too where they are re-running the original epi's - I saw " A Study in Pink" listed, just in case anyone missed the first time round. Really good stuff!
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Wow, I really had to go digging for this thread!

Is anyone else thrilled that Downton Abbey is back on Masterpiece Classic? I actually missed the premiere because my cable/internet was down, but I caught up yesterday. I've been waiting so patiently and NOT watching online, but now I think I may break down and watch the rest of the season online. I just have to know what happens....... NOW!

I have to say, Edith has gotten even more irritating. Now she's off flirting with a married man!? Where does she think that's going to go? He's just going to leave his wife and she's going to work the farm with him? I pretty much want to slap her all the time. Mary, on the other hand, has become one of my favorite characters. My heart broke all over again for her last night as she had to watch Matthew with someone else. It's obvious that they're still in love with each other.

Also, how awful is Bates's wife!? ARGH! Poor Anna. I'm glad Carson told Robert why Bates really left. That clears the way for him to come back. Now, will anyone ever tell Robert what happened with Mary and Mr. Pamuk?

Speaking of Masterpiece....the new season of Sherlock is airing on BBC right now and I've watched the first two installments online. I can't believe it, but it's even better than the first season! I think it will air on PBS starting in May, but I couldn't wait.
    I was really disappointed with the premiere of the second season. It just felt so weird having to a 180 and feel sympathy for villains like O 'Brien and Thomas. I can understand wanting to give characters depth, but to just suddenly jump from dislike to like left me feeling meh.

And I can understand not wanting to sit around the estate, especially after Sybil left to become a nurse. At first I thought it was cute, Edith wanting to drive the tractor. But you're right, falling in love with him? It just so happens that my BIL is a farmer in England, and you wouldn't believe how hard they work. During harvest season, my SIL barely see her husband. And this is the life Edith dreams of joining?

And what happened to the Mary who dominated the first season? Now she's a ghost. Weird, just weird. I'm not really liking all this, but I'll hang in there.
    Last edited by Babbred; 01-11-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I really loved the premiere! One of the things I love about this show is that the characters aren't one-dimensional archetypes. O'Brien and Thomas aren't baddies - they're human. Overall, I still don't like Thomas, but I think that the more we learn about him, the more sympathetic he'll probably become. I think what we've seen is that he's pretty much all talk and is really just a scared kid. O'Brien isn't all bad either - she did change her mind about the soap on the bathroom floor last season and now she has to live with the guilt.

I think it's natural that Mary would soften after all she's been through. Plus, it's been 2 years since the events at the end of season 1. People change. The old Mary would have told Matthew how she felt with no regard for Lavinia's feelings at all. I still think she should tell Matthew how she feels, but I actually liked that she seems to be thinking of other people now.

Edith on the other hand is still an insensitive twit who doesn't care who she hurts. I'm really hoping that she gets smacked in the face with a dose of reality....or really, even just gets smacked in the face! Maybe by that farmer's wife!

I'm really curious to see what the deal is between Lavinia and Sir Richard. Are they scheming together? I love Iain Glen - he really plays smarmy very well.

This tumblr site is pretty funny:
    Downton Pawnee

Because I have absolutely NO impulse control, I watched the entire rest of the season online this week, including the Christmas special. Now I can watch the season on PBS and not worry about what's going to happen! Can't wait for new episodes in September on TV1!

+ Reply to Thread