+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 145 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768108 ... LastLast
Like Tree908Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Seriously?!? Now the ABC Evening News is Spoiling Downton Abbey?

Click to see Spoiler:
    O'Brien will not return next season.

ETA: Oops! I see this has already been spoiled.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Sorry, Imperfect. I see your point. I tend to think of a spoiler as a major plot point that usually involves the demise of a character. This to me was just something I read on nbcnews.com that I thought was interesting . . . I'll put any future info I see in tags. No harm meant.

And I've reported my original post and your quote of it to ask the mods to delete it. But I've asked them to leave this apology.
    Last edited by AZChristian; 03-03-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Casting news and/or news of actors leaving a show are not spoilers. They are reported all over the news, if someone expects to be shielded from that here, well, we don't have any superior powers over the rest of the internet.

Spoilers are storylines and plot details that are leaked before the show airs. Which means that it's information that the show's creators didn't want to be shared. Downton's producers are quoted in the O'Brien and Maclaine stories, which means they want us to know about it. If one still doesn't want to know about such things, why would one tempt fate by looking in here?
    Florimel, AZChristian and Debb70 like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Thanks, MFW. I'm always careful to NOT post things I read on IMDB or other specific spoiler boards, and concur with your point that something released for public consumption (like on nbcnews.com) isn't really a spoiler. One could have found out about O'Brien and MacLaine just by glimpsing the headlines on many newspapers and websites.

I was just trying to be respectful of the views of others.

Why doesn't everyone leave Downton Abbey and we can have an hour long show of different angles of the drawing rooms??? Seriously though, I wish that since major characters left; that Shirley MacLaine would become a regular or semi regular. Some of my favorites have left this past season and now I don't feel that excited for the new season.

Before Season 3 started ... I couldn't remember the name of the actress who played Sybil ... so I searched for that information. Guess what came up. A great article/story about the 2 actors who were not returning and how JF wrote them out! I didn't even have to read the article. The title of the article was something like "Why Sybil and Mathew had to Die"

I did, however mention/caution way up thread about some careless posting that spoiled a few details.

It is very easy to spoil or be spoiled accidentally.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    If one still doesn't want to know about such things, why would one tempt fate by looking in here?
    Yesterday morning I unsubscribed to this thread for just that reason. Then, for the first time ever, I encountered a spoiler some place other than here. The Gods can be a cruel lot!
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

This site's policy is that ANYTHING that hasn't aired on the show (and in this case, we mean in the US), is a spoiler. If we had posted that Dan Stevens was leaving, everyone would have known that Matthew was leaving as well. Same with Jessica Brown Findlay and Sybil. That spoils the plot, especially since Downton is not a show that recasts main characters.

The point is, please be considerate of other posters when posting here, even if you don't personally think it's a spoiler. AND, if you're someone who doesn't want spoilers, please realize that because Downton is wildly popular, you're likely to get this information on other sites (not to mention on TV), even if you don't want it. This morning alone I've already seen two headlines on two different sites that would be considered spoilers on this site.....and I wasn't even looking for them.
    Last edited by Critical; 03-03-2013 at 05:05 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

As I said

It is very easy to spoil or be spoiled accidentally.
    No harm no foul, just happy for the occasional reminder.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

In fact, Dan Stevens leaving was posted here. And, it was posted a couple of weeks before the episode aired in the UK.

+ Reply to Thread