+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 149 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106 ... LastLast
Like Tree799Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Gotta love the Mouse! JORY'sMom's Avatar

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    One thing I like about Maggie Smith is her ability to say as much with a facial expression as she does with words. Her face can say it all and most of the time, it's so funny.

There is another actress who does that with her expressions. Her name is Grace Zabriskie. You will recognize her face. She's been in lots of things. She appeared for years as Lois Hendrickson on HBO's Big Love. She stole the show IMO.
    Here's a photo of her.
    Grace Zabriskie - IMDb
    I remember her from Seinfeld!! lol

I missed any spoilers posted here too, although news of Dan Stevens' departure was on every website and TV show out there.

If any poster feels a post reveals spoilers, they should report it so that the mods can take a look at it.

For those who don't mind being spoiled, please keep in mind that ANYTHING that hasn't happened on the shows that have already aired in this country - and that includes casting news, even if it is all over the press - is a spoiler. Please use to spoiler tags out of consideration for all the posters who don't want to be spoiled.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Starting March 31 and going thorouh May 19, there will be a new Masterpiece Classic series. Title is, Mr. Selfridge, starring Jeremy Piven. It appears to be at least somewhat fact based with Piven as an American entrepreneus who comes to London to open the world's biggest and finest department store. I gather that Selfridges still exists. I shall be watching.

Mr. Selfridge | Programs | Masterpiece | PBS
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I'm SO not a Jeremy Piven fan, but I'm going to check it out. Ever since JP and John Cusack had a falling out......I mean, who do you think is the jerk in that scenario? It's not Cusack. Plus, there are all the rumors about JP being a total jackass to women in clubs and bars. I never watched Entourage, but nothing I've seen him in has convinced me that he can actually act. I'll tune into this one - just because it's Masterpiece - to see if he can deliver.

I'm glad they're waiting a week to start a new series so it won't be up against the Academy Awards.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

To be honest, I agree, Critical. I've never been much of a Jeremy Piven fan and I also think he's somewhat of a jerk personally, but it does have the Masterpiece stamp on it, so I'll at least take a look.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Starting March 31 and going thorouh May 19, there will be a new Masterpiece Classic series. Title is, Mr. Selfridge, starring Jeremy Piven. It appears to be at least somewhat fact based with Piven as an American entrepreneus who comes to London to open the world's biggest and finest department store. I gather that Selfridges still exists. I shall be watching.

Mr. Selfridge | Programs | Masterpiece |
    PBS
    Selfridges still exists -it's one of the preeminent department stores in London and is now owned by the Canadian Weston family. It's a nice store and they usually have good windows at Christmas.
    I do not care for Piven either but I'll probably check it out. Though for some reason I think I'm going to have Are You Being Served in the back of my mind.
    Last edited by CCL; 02-24-2013 at 09:46 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I'll check it out. I'm developing a huge appetite for English dramas! lol

I watched the season finale of Call The Midwife last night and couldn't have loved it more! I realize it may be dangerous to say this, but honestly, Call The Midwife was really a better show this past season than DA, IMO. I think it was actually my very favorite, except for Breaking Bad. Do you all watch it?

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Selfridges still exists -it's one of the preeminent department stores in London and is now owned by the Canadian Weston family. It's a nice store and they usually have good windows at Christmas.
    I do not care for Piven either but I'll probably check it out. Though for some reason I think I'm going to have Are You Being Served in the back of my mind.
    Are You Being Served was brilliant! I do own that DVD set along with Fawlty Towers. Andrew Sachs (Manuel) is in the new film Quartet starring Maggie Smith.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'll check it out. I'm developing a huge appetite for English dramas! lol

I watched the season finale of Call The Midwife last night and couldn't have loved it more! I realize it may be dangerous to say this, but honestly, Call The Midwife was really a better show this past season than DA, IMO. I think it was actually my very favorite, except for Breaking Bad. Do you all watch it?
    I love Call the Midwife - it's back for season 2 at the end of March. The actress who plays Chummy (Miranda Hart) has a comedy show (called Miranda) as well and I'm peeved I can't get it here - the clips I've seen look really funny.
    Debb70 likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    People who have watched the show in advance, like Critical and MFW, have been respectful with regards to spoilers. Once the show has aired on the East Coast it is considered "fair game." I didn't see anything posted about Matthew's death that was not in spoilers before the airing. But maybe I missed it. PBS is considering airing the show in the US at the same time as it airs in the UK for the fourth season, which would be excellent.
    Don't ever read the Daily Mail online, because they had DA spoilers in an article without labeling them "spoilers". I agree that Critical and MFW have been very careful not to disclose anything about the series. I unfortunately found out about Sybil and Matthew in the same article, and it did spoil those episodes for me knowing that they would die.

+ Reply to Thread