+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 155 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104154 ... LastLast
Like Tree839Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    It was my understanding that when Mary was so rude with her comments about Edith's friend, she did not know he was married. Matthew only found out when the man told him while they were fishing together. There Mary was with the love of her life, pregnant, and basking in the joy of DA being saved from financial ruin, but she still manages to focus on making cruel remarks to Edith for sport. IT really shows her true character. My sympathy for her character is tempered by her conduct. Of course, Matthew's death will make her meaner and she will figure a way to take our her anger on Edith.
    But she was suspicious about him being in Scotland to fish and sketch and she was right. He admitted he was there to get to know Edith's family. I don't think she was cruel to be wary of someone who might hurt her sister and hey, she was right! The guy wants Edith to be his mistress and can never marry her. If I were Edith, I'd be incredibly offended if a man even intimated that arrangement. Instead, she's so desperate that she's considering it. Even Matthew, who is probably the most understanding person in the family, told Gregson that it wouldn't matter if the family liked him him or not - they still wouldn't accept him courting Edith.

Sorry, I don't want O'Brien to leave. It's the conflict that makes the show interesting. I don't want only "nice" characters on the show. I liked how she took down Susan's maid, but she did it only after she had a good reason. I loved seeing Phoebe Nicholls, if only for one episode. Her character was a nice echo is Elizabeth Elliot in Persuasion, although it seemed a bit like typecasting. She's SO good as a shrew!

CCL - I hope you're right about Rose. I thought her teaching Anna to dance was very sweet. If she starts showing an interest in Jimmy (or Tom), I'll be really annoyed!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I don't think Mary is awful at all. I think she's a product of her time and her class and is content with that. I think she's a younger version of Violet and without Violet's experience and maturity. I'm not sorry to see the last of Matthew. I liked him in the beginning, but he came to annoy me more and more as time went on.

Good British actors are much more likely than American actors to want to move on even from a successful show. They have range and they want new challenges. It's part of the reason why British shows have so many fewer episodes per season than we do as it gives the actors time to do other things. The only exception I can think of offhand is Midsomer Murders, which has had 13 seasons so far. I'm pretty sure they are continuing it, but I know John Nettles has decided to leave. It won't be the same without him.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I don't think Mary is awful at all. I think she's a product of her time and her class and is content with that. I think she's a younger version of Violet and without Violet's experience and maturity. I'm not sorry to see the last of Matthew. I liked him in the beginning, but he came to annoy me more and more as time went on.

Good British actors are much more likely than American actors to want to move on even from a successful show. They have range and they want new challenges. It's part of the reason why British shows have so many fewer episodes per season than we do as it gives the actors time to do other things. The only exception I can think of offhand is Midsomer Murders, which has had 13 seasons so far. I'm pretty sure they are continuing it, but I know John Nettles has decided to leave. It won't be the same without him.
    According to the article I linked to above, the other reason Brits don't stick with a show long-term is because salaries don't increase like they do on American shows, so there's no benefit financially to staying on a show for 7+ years.

Further discussion about Matthew's death and a little spoiler dropped about season 4:
    'Downton Abbey' Creator Julian Fellowes On When He Wanted Matthew's Death To Happen

Looks like
    Click to see Spoiler:
    we might not be seeing Mary's reaction to hearing of Matthew's death, since the action is picking up six months later
    Not sure how I feel about that. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I am not certain how this all works ... but with Mathew's death, is baby boy Crawley now the heir to Mathew's half of Downton ... or is Mary his legal heir as it would work in the US? Mathew's half of the estate wouldn't be subject to the same restrictions (the entail) as was the original situation. I am sure some arrangements were made when Grantham and Crawley became co-owners? I guess we'll learn about that in Season 4.

BUT ... and this is total speculation ... but maybe Mary is going to educate herself and take over the business and vision side of things ... and I would almost bet that Violet will help Mary along there ... and that some provisions will have been made for Isabelle ... so she may be involved as well.

Suggestion(s) regarding a boyfriend for Mary ... either Matthew Macfadyen ( Mr. Darcy)... or Nathan Fillion (Castle)
    Matthew was already the sole heir to Downton after Robert, which is how he got mixed up in their lives in the first place at the beginning of season 1. He's only a distant cousin, but Robert's direct cousin and his son (James and Patrick Crawley) were lost on the Titanic, leaving Matthew next in line.

So, Matthew & Mary's son is now the next in line to inherit the title and estate. I'm not sure what would happen if Robert died while the child was still very young -- maybe Mary would become executor of the estate in his name. But they made a big deal in season 1 about how women can't inherit estates/titles back then, so maybe it would be placed in trust with lawyers running it until he's an adult... if we start reading that the actor playing Robert is thinking of leaving, we may just find out.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

I have been watching past episodes on Comcast - pretty much back-to-back which probably colors my experience somehow.

A few episodes in, I was confused as to why anyone would want to leave such a wonderful and wildly popular show. Having gone through all 3 seasons by now, I get it. Mathew's character would probably be pretty boring to play for a much longer period of time - esp. if there is a chance to do other things. Sybil's character had more depth and interest, but if more money and fame is available elsewhere, then I can't blame her.

Meanwhile, I'm greatful for all those who remain need and want the acting jobs thay have. It is a terrifc cast.

Edith and Tom are my hands-down favorites. I'm a heterosexual female, but man. Tom is hot.

As to O'brien, I like her. I'd like to see her story line expand somehow.

I'd like to see O'Brian's back story. What made her into the miserable person and plotter she is today at Downton abbey?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Bates watching Anna at the ball Just when I thought my crush on him couldn't get any bigger.
    Oh my gosh I have such a crush on him too.
    Moontat, Imperfect1 and Coco46 like this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mina View Post
    I'd like to see O'Brian's back story. What made her into the miserable person and plotter she is today at Downton abbey?
    Me too. I'd also like to know a little bit about Tom's and Edith's upbringings. Why does Edith get treated so miserably? When did Tom realize he was gay and and how did it affect him growing up?

I would also very much like to see Edith and Tom evolve into confident adults at some point - without shame, fear, stigma's etc. Not yet, but maybe next season.

I'd say the stories of these 3 run the deepest. Without them, we'd have a bunch of common petty (by comparison) stuff going on. With Maggie Smith and Robert on the other end, they anchor the story.
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    Me too. I'd also like to know a little bit about Tom's and Edith's upbringings. Why does Edith get treated so miserably? When did Tom realize he was gay and and how did it affect him growing up?

I would also very much like to see Edith and Tom evolve into confident adults at some point - without shame, fear, stigma's etc. Not yet, but maybe next season.

I'd say the stories of these 3 run the deepest. Without them, we'd have a bunch of common petty (by comparison) stuff going on. With Maggie Smith and Robert on the other end, they anchor the story.
    You should probably call him Thomas, since we also have a Tom on this show and I'm pretty sure he's not gay
    ladygreco likes this.

Did you catch the part where Grandmother referred to Sybil's husband by his last name, as they do the servants, and Robert corrected her? She didn't recoil, but politely made the correction. Grandmother may be a piece of work, but she has class and is fair IMO.

+ Reply to Thread