+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 157 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103153 ... LastLast
Like Tree851Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Hooray! No more spoiler tags for at least 7 months!
    What spoiler tags?

I would watch this show for no other reason than the exquisite Dame Maggie Smith!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't know, I knew Sybil was going to die before I watched it and I still bawled my eyes out!
    As did I! It wasn't the spoiling of the death that made me indifferent to Mathew's death. It was his 'David Caruso' like attitude that had me not caring.
    Last edited by Uncle David; 02-18-2013 at 01:34 AM.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Hooray! No more spoiler tags for at least 7 months!
    I was thinking the same thing! You and I seem to be the only ones here watching it online in advance, so we sort of had or own little discussion within the discussion thanks to spoiler tags!

I will miss Matthew. He was a core character, and it will make the household seem even emptier and more strange, with the addition of Rose. And now they will have to come up with forced storylines to keep Mrs. Crawley involved in things. I did like the odd attempt by the Doc to sheepishly start up a romance -- I think in the challenges Isobel will face figuring out what to do with her life with Matthew gone, she may come around to reconsidering a hookup with the Doc.
    I'll miss him too. I agree with Julian Fellowes that this was the only solution if Dan Stevens wanted out. Matthew would never leave Mary otherwise. I think DS made the wrong decision, but it was his to make. I hope he doesn't live to regret it.

And Tom had a lot of good scenes -- I'm glad they understand the value of taking his shirt off at least once a season.
    I know, right? It IS Masterpiece, but a little beefcake is still appreciated! I love that Tom is really coming into his own, although I wish it was with Sybil rather than without her. I loved the scene with him and Mrs. Hughes.

I didn't mind the Thomas-Jimmy story, even though it was quite forced and deliberate. It will be interesting to see them working together. But Alfred really got the shaft in all of this; I wonder if he will be the new Thomas next year, conspiring with his aunt O'Brien against those who caused Jimmy and Thomas to be promoted above him. For that matter, I wonder if O'Brien will even be at Downton next season -- was she working Lady Susan for a possible position at the end of the party scene? Or was she merely rubbing the other lady's maid's nose in it?

That breakfast table is getting smaller and smaller...
    Honestly, I don't think Alfred is bright enough to be a schemer. He's a nice pawn for his aunt, but that's about it. I don't know how things worked, but was it uncommon for a man to run a kitchen (i.e. be a Mrs. Pattmore) in a home like Downton? It seems like that is what Alfred would like to do....either that or work in a restaurant, although he'd likely have to move from Yorkshire to really make a go of that.

I think they have to bring some new characters in. This show is starting to feel like an Agatha Christie novel what with people dropping left and right!

I'm not a prude, but I thought Rose's dress for the ball was too revealing. If someone had worn that dress today, they'd end up in an "article" on HuffPo about side boob (seemingly their favorite topic over there). People keep talking about her being the new Sybil, but I don't see it. Sybil was intelligent and thoughtful and she cared about social issues. Aside from her age and being a beautiful girl, Rose doesn't resemble Sybil in the slightest. All she seems to care about is partying and acting like (what she thinks is) an adult.
    MFWalkoff, Moontat and Babbred like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    People keep talking about her being the new Sybil, but I don't see it. Sybil was intelligent and thoughtful and she cared about social issues. Aside from her age and being a beautiful girl, Rose doesn't resemble Sybil in the slightest. All she seems to care about is partying and acting like (what she thinks is) an adult.
    That's the problem -- she's an incredibly one-note character at the moment. "Oh, what trouble has that naughty Rose gotten herself into this week? How will the family rescue her?" I think Fellowes is going to have to give Rose some other interests if she's going to work at all as a regular next year. And I doubt that the estate and Downton's traditions will interest her any more than they interested Sybil.

I imagine Mary will sort of repeat season 1 as well, in that she is single again, and mother to the heir of Downton, which means that suitors looking for a cushy life will come calling again. But at least that has some comic possibilities while she's mourning and raising the baby.

Tom's going to need some help running the estate since Matthew was the visionary -- more new male characters?
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

That's the problem -- she's an incredibly one-note character at the moment. "Oh, what trouble has that naughty Rose gotten herself into this week? How will the family rescue her?" I think Fellowes is going to have to give Rose some other interests if she's going to work at all as a regular next year. And I doubt that the estate and Downton's traditions will interest her any more than they interested Sybil.

I imagine Mary will sort of repeat season 1 as well, in that she is single again, and mother to the heir of Downton, which means that suitors looking for a cushy life will come calling again. But at least that has some comic possibilities while she's mourning and raising the baby.

Tom's going to need some help running the estate since Matthew was the visionary -- more new male characters?
    I think Rose's only interest in Downton is that it allows her to continue living the way she wants. She doesn't seem to care about tradition at all. I look forward to someone bringing down the hammer and making her straighten up.

I hope they don't put Mary on a season 1 repeat. I think she's grown so much in the past few seasons. Plus, she's a mother now. She doesn't have the luxury.

Maybe Robert will get with the program and work with Tom to run Downton without running it into the ground.

Nice interview with exec. producer Gareth Neame:
    Downton Abbey producer talks season finale | Inside TV | EW.com
    A bit spoilerish info about season 4 and a nice explanation about why British actors don't stay on TV shows for the length of time that actors in the US often do.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I knew Matthew's death was coming, but still it was a sad turn. I didn't know when it would happen, but suspected it would be towards the end.

How pleasant DA was without O'Brien. What a dream come true if only she could go off with Shrimpy's wife abroad. Pretty please.

It was my understanding that when Mary was so rude with her comments about Edith's friend, she did not know he was married. Matthew only found out when the man told him while they were fishing together. There Mary was with the love of her life, pregnant, and basking in the joy of DA being saved from financial ruin, but she still manages to focus on making cruel remarks to Edith for sport. IT really shows her true character. My sympathy for her character is tempered by her conduct. Of course, Matthew's death will make her meaner and she will figure a way to take our her anger on Edith.

Why would Mrs. Crawley avoid the Doctor's proposal? I agree with the poster above that she may have to marry him to stay relevant on the show. Her being grandmother to Mary's son may not be enough to keep her around much.

I just can't get on board with Rose. I wish the actress had more depth or something. I can't imagine me caring that much about what she does.

CCL

I think the character of Rose was markedly different in this last episode compared to her first showing. In the first episode she was just shown as flighty and self-interested. In the second episode she was given more depth, shown the difficult relationship she has with her unhappy mother etc. She also seemed more caring; she didn't teach Anna to dance as a lark - though she did have fun doing it - but to repay Anna's kindness. If she had truly been selfish she wouldn't have even bothered going to thank Anna. And while I think her first iteration might have been reluctant to spend a lot of time at
    Downton, I think her current iteration welcomes it. Not that I don't think she will get up to mischief. But she's young and I think she will learn and grow at Downton. And I do think that she will end up with Tom for a number of reasons including the aforementioned comparisons to Sibyl, and that she has no fortune so her picks among the nobility will be limited and also because her lack of interest in conventions means she will be open to marrying someone outside the noble class.

Or maybe I just like unpopular characters.
    Last edited by CCL; 02-18-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    Coco46 and Debb70 like this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Good points. I had not figured out what Anna asked Rose about. The dance of course. Makes sense. I hope you're right. When does Season 4 start on PBS?

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I love that Mary cares so much for Carson.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I am not certain how this all works ... but with Mathew's death, is baby boy Crawley now the heir to Mathew's half of Downton ... or is Mary his legal heir as it would work in the US? Mathew's half of the estate wouldn't be subject to the same restrictions (the entail) as was the original situation. I am sure some arrangements were made when Grantham and Crawley became co-owners? I guess we'll learn about that in Season 4.

BUT ... and this is total speculation ... but maybe Mary is going to educate herself and take over the business and vision side of things ... and I would almost bet that Violet will help Mary along there ... and that some provisions will have been made for Isabelle ... so she may be involved as well.

Suggestion(s) regarding a boyfriend for Mary ... either Matthew Macfadyen ( Mr. Darcy)... or Nathan Fillion (Castle)
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fan

Meanwhile, note to Edith: never, ever have a baby.
    Jexter and Debb70 like this.

+ Reply to Thread