+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102 ... LastLast
Like Tree876Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

CCL

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Thanks to both. I seem to have excised that bit from my memory.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Interesting, but I disagree. I rather enjoyed season 3. However, I must admit I viewed it differently than most. By mistake I watched the Christmas Special that aired after Season 3 so I already knew how all the story lines concluded.

I got a kick out of a link I found at the bottom of the previously posted article...

Jimmy Fallon's Downton Sixbey
    Loved that spoof. Especially the puppy walking down the hallway!
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

CCL

Two Downton daughters give birth and two deaths happen shortly after. I think Edith is better remaining unmarried.

I'm glad Edna left. It's not that I object to Tom having a new romance but I didn't really like her. Plus I'm thinking he's going to end up with Rose. There were a number of times she was compared to Sibyl tonight and now she's going to stay at Downton...

I cried at Sibyl's death but not at Matthew's. I don't really mind him being gone. I hope they're not going to jump ahead because it will be interesting to see Mary's reaction and what happens next.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I think I'll cry about Matthew NEXT season. It was just so matter-of-fact that there wasn't any time to react. Plus, he died alone, so there wasn't the reaction from his family and loved ones like we had with Sybil.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Matthew's death was shocking; even though I had heard rumours of his death I had sort of hoped that he had just lost his memory, forgotten who he was and Mary , seen her for the truly awful awful person she is, and that Mary would have to humble herself and win back his love. But, it's not to be , even though I think that would be more interesting- there's not much you can do with a character that wants to leave the show. I don't think Rose is much of an addition after Matthew.

I feel bad for Edith. She just can't win. I don't really like her character, but I found myself hoping for good things for her.

I'm not sure how I would have reacted to Matthew's death if I hadn't cheated and read the spoilers, but I am sad that this character will be gone. His annoying piousness aside, he did bring heart to the family, and I'll miss him.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Because I made the mistake of coming here before hand, Mathew's death was spoiled for me. From the reports it seemed he had a bit of an attitude about continuing on the show. But for that, I would have really been taken aback by his death.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

I'm angry. I liked Matthew. I know at the end of the day this is a soap opera, but can't this family be happy for more than five minutes without tragedy striking!? And that is aside from the fact that it seems far-fetched that one family would have two births in a row followed immediately by the death of a parent.

I am guessing next season will not jump ahead. There is too much drama to be had dealing with Matthew's death. Interesting thought about Branson and Rose. However, I can't see her jumping into motherhood by marrying him. She seems like she's got too many oats left to sow!

I don't know, I knew Sybil was going to die before I watched it and I still bawled my eyes out! Heck, I did when I watched it again on PBS months later as well.

Carson with little Sybil

Thomas and Jimmy both revealed their true character. As nasty as Thomas has been, I think they've done a lot this season to show his humanity.

As much as people want to bash Mary and call her awful (which I completely disagree with), she was absolutely right about Gregson. Edith may like him, but she's far too desperate to be thinking clearly. He may be a nice man, but he's completely unsuitable for Edith in light of his situation. The fact that he thinks so little of her that he's willing to allow Edith to even consider becoming his mistress says it all. Plus, his resemblance to Sir Anthony - who I found incredibly creepy - is distracting.

Glad Mrs. Hughes gave Edna the old heave-ho. Talk about clueless. That was even worse than Jane and Robert. At least Robert encouraged that dalliance. To go after a widower who's a part of the upstairs family is just out of bounds.

Bates watching Anna at the ball Just when I thought my crush on him couldn't get any bigger.

Poor Molesley. Brought down my alcohol once again.
    Moontat likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Hooray! No more spoiler tags for at least 7 months!

I will miss Matthew. He was a core character, and it will make the household seem even emptier and more strange, with the addition of Rose. And now they will have to come up with forced storylines to keep Mrs. Crawley involved in things. I did like the odd attempt by the Doc to sheepishly start up a romance -- I think in the challenges Isobel will face figuring out what to do with her life with Matthew gone, she may come around to reconsidering a hookup with the Doc.

At least it would be making use of familiar characters, instead of this Cousin Oliver stunt they are pulling by bringing Rose to Downton. They'll be rehashing all of Sybil's season 1 stories with a name change.

But I haven't given up, I hope they can keep things interesting for at least another season. I enjoyed this last episode, especially with all that they gave Mrs. Patmore to do. And Tom had a lot of good scenes -- I'm glad they understand the value of taking his shirt off at least once a season.

I didn't mind the Thomas-Jimmy story, even though it was quite forced and deliberate. It will be interesting to see them working together. But Alfred really got the shaft in all of this; I wonder if he will be the new Thomas next year, conspiring with his aunt O'Brien against those who caused Jimmy and Thomas to be promoted above him. For that matter, I wonder if O'Brien will even be at Downton next season -- was she working Lady Susan for a possible position at the end of the party scene? Or was she merely rubbing the other lady's maid's nose in it?

That breakfast table is getting smaller and smaller...
    Critical, Debb70 and Babbred like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread