+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 145 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101 ... LastLast
Like Tree908Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Now, Coco . . . if you're going to be a TRUE Downton Abbey junkie, you have to get the names right. The job description of "Lady's Maid" means you are addressed by your last name only. In this case, "O'Brien." "Mrs." is only used by the upstairs people for the head housekeeper (Mrs. Hughes) and the head cook (Mrs. Patmore) - neither of whom have been married.

Pay attention now . . . there will be a test. (And I obviously need to get a life.)

On the bolded......... Of course, you are right and I need to do better!
    Last edited by Critical; 02-12-2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: fixed broken quote tags
    AZChristian likes this.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Whenever the plot doesn't make sense I just remind myself that, despite the quality production values, despite the excellent period sets, despite the lovely accents, Downton Abbey is nothing more than a British soap opera.
    Yep, and it only works in the states because it airs on PBS! If something like this aired on NBC or Fox, forget it.

I did get tired of the story shuffling pretty quickly. Just when Edith found a true love, some thing happens, and she has to move on. The kitchen girl floats from guy to guy, a revolving door of extraneous cast members, does Sybil have a crush on Mathew, does she love Branson? and so on.

It got to be so much that I couldn't help but think that the producers really don't know how to deal with this huge "thing" that the show has become. Add in the departure of two primary characters and I think we can expect an entirely different flavor for S4.
    Last edited by Jexter; 02-13-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I was hoping with Bates' return, they would make Thomas valet for Tom Branson. Considering his prior smug refusal to help Branson, that would have been just.
    I was saying this exact same thing echo! Maybe they should hire us to help write the show.
    Coco46 likes this.

Downton is getting a bit silly; but like others have said it's a soap opera. Thomas' storyline .... okay maybe I could buy that in the end he was treated kindly by the people he has worked with for 10 years, and I really loved the scene between him and Mrs. Hughes. BUT, what I found obnoxious was Lord G's obsession with cricket in this episode. There's a huge flaming homosexual scandal brewing in his house, but Thomas is a good cricket player so let's just keep him on??????? I hate my son in law, Branson, but if he'll help us play cricket and beat the Townies then he's my new best friend????? Cricket solves everything!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Mina, I think that's ALL Lord G has thought about for years, which led to the financial decline of Downton Abbey. He was so focused on cricket that he COULDN'T think of anything else. The man has never been known for keeping his priorities straight.

True. Whether or not Julian Fellowes intended it, he has ultimately portrayed Robert as an aristocratic Homer Simpson. He's kind of a hapless boob most of the time, but by the end of most episodes he comes around like Homer does.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

I adore the entire cast.

If I had to pick, my favorite characters would be Edith and Thomas - underdogs who can never get ahead - and now Branson for getting over himself and taking care of business (I hope). And they can give me Maggie Smith as much as they want. She has the best lines of the show.

Edith's romantic relationships have been wonderful to watch (and far too short), and I was disappointed when she and the older man didn't wed. Thomas is a damaged soul and can't help himself. At least not now. I hope he gets it together.

As to the treatment of gays during that time period - and in that lifestyle, I have no clue. I'm sure there is research on the subject somewhere ... I'd be curious to learn more. The thing is, I can see that kind of household accepting a gay servant. Not openly, but quietly...an unspoken arrangement..

I liked Mary's and Mathew's story early on and the two characters - but I don't like seeing Mary turn vile on Mathew. That relationship should be one of true love - not money and pettiness and "operations".

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    Yep, and it only works in the states because it airs on PBS! If something like this aired on NBC or Fox, forget it.

I did get tired of the story shuffling pretty quickly. Just when Edith found a true love, some thing happens, and she has to move on. The kitchen girl floats from guy to guy, a revolving door of extraneous cast members, does Sybil have a crush on Mathew, does she love Branson? and so on.

It got to be so much that I couldn't help but think that the producers really don't know how to deal with this huge "thing" that the show has become. Add in the departure of two primary characters and I think we can expect an entirely different flavor for S4.
    I was actually thinking it was getting rather repetitive this last week with repeated scenes of O'Brien telling Jimmy to get in good with Thomas and then turning around and telling Thomas that Jimmy was into him. And Matthew banging on about the need for change at Downton while Robert stuck his head in the sand. It's like they were beating us over the head with it and I wanted to tell them I got it already. But then it finally had some movement and action, which was good. And of course there was the great scene of Robert saying maybe they should look into the great scheme Ponzi had come up with in the US to cure their financial woes.
    I don't recall Sibyl ever having a crush on Matthew?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I was actually thinking it was getting rather repetitive this last week with repeated scenes of O'Brien telling Jimmy to get in good with Thomas and then turning around and telling Thomas that Jimmy was into him. And Matthew banging on about the need for change at Downton while Robert stuck his head in the sand. It's like they were beating us over the head with it and I wanted to tell them I got it already. But then it finally had some movement and action, which was good. And of course there was the great scene of Robert saying maybe they should look into the great scheme Ponzi had come up with in the US to cure their financial woes.
    I don't recall Sibyl ever having a crush on Matthew?
    Hopefully S4 will have a little more coherence longevity of story lines.

I can't recall the episode or season for that matter, but it was around the time Branson came on the scene. Mary told Mathew, in fact, that Sybil had a crush on him. It didn't last long, and Branson became a bigger piece of the story line quickly.

It was toward the end of season 1. Matthew helped rescue Sybil when she was injured at the election riot, and when Mary was sitting with him afterward, she mentioned (teased?) that he shouldn't lead Sybil on because she might be crushing on him. That was when we got Matthew & Mary's first kiss.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread