+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 144 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960100 ... LastLast
Like Tree908Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by Coco46 View Post
    Oh my, I would definitely not have recognized this attractive lady as Mrs. O'Brien!
    Now, Coco . . . if you're going to be a TRUE Downton Abbey junkie, you have to get the names right.

The job description of "Lady's Maid" means you are addressed by your last name only. In this case, "O'Brien." "Mrs." is only used by the upstairs people for the head housekeeper (Mrs. Hughes) and the head cook (Mrs. Patmore) - neither of whom have been married.

There was a scene in which they discussed what Mary calls Anna now, because - technically - she should be called "Bates." But that would create confusion because her husband is referred to as "Bates" because he was Lord Grantham's valet (same level as a lady's maid). And they could NEVER refer to her as "Mrs. Bates" because that would infer she's in a higher level position than O'Brien.

When the servants are all "downstairs," people not normally referred to by their first names ("under" people like James, Daisy, etc.) call each other Mr., Mrs., or Miss). Mr. Carson, Mr. Bates, Mrs. Patmore, Miss O'Brien, etc. I would think that in this case, they need to stop calling Anna "Anna" because of her promotion. But they still do.

Pay attention now . . . there will be a test. (And I obviously need to get a life.)

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface View Post
    Like many have stated I am tired of the same stories over again. I'm tired of Thomas and I don't at all like Thomas being promoted to under butler. So he ends up being rewarded. I agree he shouldn't have been punished for this incident as it really wasn't his fault, but what about all the rotten things he has done...makes it hard for me to be happy to have him promoted to be boss over everyone else.

Also the reaction to his homosexuality was not true to the times. I mean perhaps there might have been one person who reacted by coddling him, but not everyone! I hate when historical fiction does this kind of thing to make the story more acceptable to the watcher/reader.

I was hoping with Bates' return, they would make Thomas valet for Tom Branson. Considering his prior smug refusal to help Branson, that would have been just.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I was hoping with Bates' return, they would make Thomas valet for Tom Branson. Considering his prior smug refusal to help Branson, that would have been just.
    Oh THAT would have been rich!

For once, the best line of the night didn't come from Violet, but from Isobel, speaking about Violet - "Did you change your pills?"
    AZChristian and sunnydayz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface View Post
    Like many have stated I am tired of the same stories over again. I'm tired of Thomas and I don't at all like Thomas being promoted to under butler. So he ends up being rewarded. I agree he shouldn't have been punished for this incident as it really wasn't his fault, but what about all the rotten things he has done...makes it hard for me to be happy to have him promoted to be boss over everyone else.

Also the reaction to his homosexuality was not true to the times. I mean perhaps there might have been one person who reacted by coddling him, but not everyone! I hate when historical fiction does this kind of thing to make the story more acceptable to the watcher/reader.
    I don't know, I think the variety of reactions to it made sense for the most part. To begin with, almost everyone started their sentences with, "Well it's no shock, I mean we all knew about him..." -- that in itself is a reason that they aren't acting as shocked as you might think they should. Most of them have been been living and working side-by-side with Thomas for almost a decade.

The ones who had the strongest reactions were Alfred and James, who haven't been around long enough to know. And Carson's reaction makes sense too, since he assumes he's supposed to set a moral standard for the staff, and his first priority is always the "family honor" (which really means, trying to avoid scandals as much as possible).

As for the upstairs reactions, well, this family have made a career out of covering up each other's secrets. Plus, they've seen more of the world than the staff have. I think Robert's blasé reaction was priceless (and on point): "If I had screamed blue murder every time someone tried to kiss me at Eton, I’d have gone hoarse in a month!" Keep in mind, this is a 'scandal' that hasn't yet gone outside the house, so how they deal with it privately is different from how they might feel they would have to deal with it in public. By the time the police arrive at the cricket match, Robert has already decided that he doesn't want a piece of this particular drama. So, he makes the decision to close ranks and keep it private.

Maybe more people in the background could have registered general disgust, but who? The lower staff are used to keeping their mouths shut and doing their work. And Isobel wasn't involved, and for all we know she would have made Thomas another cause for her to champion...
    prhoshay and Florimel like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Whenever the plot doesn't make sense I just remind myself that, despite the quality production values, despite the excellent period sets, despite the lovely accents, Downton Abbey is nothing more than a British soap opera.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    O'Brien is the one character I'd LOVE to see pay for her "crimes" in some way. Apparently, folks from upstairs and downstairs have her number but she still manages to come through relatively unscathed. (I can't believe the entire soap incident wasn't explained to Carson by Thomas!!) Wish they'd all collaborate against her but it'll never happen. That said, the actress who plays O'Brien is outstanding.
    I'm thinking Anna will figure out what "her ladyship's soap" means, and O'Brien will finally be brought down.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    What's so pathetic about the situation now is that Thomas won't appreciate that Carson went to bat for him and will soon attempt to sabotage the guy. AGAIN. AND O'Brien will certainly do everything in her power to bring Carson down for his threat against her. AGAIN. It's just too much recycling the same thing. Certainly, something else could be interesting in the downstairs area.

And here we go with Edith and a hopeless love situation. I really love this show, but hope the next season takes us to new places.
    Thomas knows that Bates went to bat for him. I don't think he'll forget it. I also doubt that O'Brien will challenge him when she thinks he actually knows what she did. But we'll see. This is a soap opera, after all.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I watched another show about the real castle where DA is filmed. THey said that the show was actually created in order to help finance the repairs and maintenance of the castle. I had thought the show was created and then they got the castle on board. Turns out is was the other way around.

Did you know that the filming is done with the actual same furniture that is sitting in the rooms? They don't bring things in, but use the original that is already there. I was shocked. I really would love to tour that place.

They said they have many rooms on the higher floors that are in disrepair and not used at all. These were mainly the servants quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Did you know that the filming is done with the actual same furniture that is sitting in the rooms? They don't bring things in, but use the original that is already there. I was shocked. I really would love to tour that place.
    Debb, we're going to England in 2015 for our 50th wedding anniversary. HIGH on the list is a tour of Highclere Castle. Every time we watch DA, I look at the furniture in the library or the beautiful staircase, and I get really excited because I plan to see it for real.

I saw an article that you can rent out the castle and grounds for weddings (imagine the bride coming down the staircase!) for about $30,000 (not including food). They set up table in the library for the reception. I need to buy some lottery tickets and schedule our wedding vow renewal there. LOL.

+ Reply to Thread