+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 149 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999 ... LastLast
Like Tree798Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Of course it was just some small operation that took a nanosecond and that's that?
    And this was set back in the day when people having ANY kind of surgery spent a week in the hospital. When I had my tonsils out the first time around 1950, I was in for 4 days. So no mention of Mary being in London for a week or so? Just "You can kiss me, but that's it. I'm very tired from my trip to London"????

Call me silly, but I love poor, lovable loser Molesley. If there's anything wrong to be innocently said or done, he's your man.

I'm afraid I'm grown weary of Edith's bad luck. I really would love to see some interesting storyline with her, but instead they bring in this cousin who's a hellion. Please. They should show more of what is going on with Mary. I'm also speechless that with all the goings on down stairs with Thomas and the bunch, that no one is actually leaving. Please. That was annoying.

Still, I'm looking forward to the finale next week.
    Duckyface and AZChristian like this.

I would actually like to see Jimmy, Thomas, OBrien and her nephew leave DA. I think they could get some more interesting characters to play their shenanigans downstairs. I'm really over that group.

Did I miss the full name of baby Sybil? I have heard that with strict catholics, they would pick a saint's name for the baby.
    Duckyface likes this.

I really enjoyed last night. I didn't realize that the finale was next week!! I thought the little story line with the "wild child" girl was a bit superfluous. I liked that it showed another side of society at the time, but the story didn't really go anywhere. I couldn't decide if it was supposed to be a counter to Edith meeting a married man. I agree with the previous poster that the Edith-married editor-crazy wife story screams Jane Eyre.

I loved when they were talking about giving Branson the job Jarvis resigned from and the Dowager's reaction was relief that they can start calling him Branson again without impropriety!

I also liked the scene where Carson walked Lord Grantham into a confrontation with Jimmy to "solidify" the decision of promoting Thomas. When Lord Grantham realized what had happened and turned the tables on Carson by making Jimmy first footman the look on Carson's face was priceless!!
    AZChristian likes this.

What's so pathetic about the situation now is that Thomas won't appreciate that Carson went to bat for him and will soon attempt to sabotage the guy. AGAIN. AND O'Brien will certainly do everything in her power to bring Carson down for his threat against her. AGAIN. It's just too much recycling the same thing. Certainly, something else could be interesting in the downstairs area.

And here we go with Edith and a hopeless love situation. I really love this show, but hope the next season takes us to new places.
    Duckyface and Coco46 like this.

O'Brien is the one character I'd LOVE to see pay for her "crimes" in some way. Apparently, folks from upstairs and downstairs have her number but she still manages to come through relatively unscathed. (I can't believe the entire soap incident wasn't explained to Carson by Thomas!!) Wish they'd all collaborate against her but it'll never happen. That said, the actress who plays O'Brien is outstanding.

CORRECTION to my post above. I meant to say that Thomas and OBrien would eventually go after BATES again, not Carson.

I was really surprised at how easily Carson and Robert accepted Thomas' situation. Even today, I can't imagine his conduct would have been that easily reconciled. How progressive of them. lol

What mystified me the most was how Thomas seem to go down without any real protest or explanation of how he was set up. EVEN after the whole story was made known, it didn't seem to make much difference. Who in the world wants somebody that evil in their employment. (I'm referring to O'Brien.) Perhaps it's a battle Robert did not want to take up with Cora, however, certainly, she would change her opinion if she knew the entire story.

WHY when he had nothing to lose, would Thomas not tell on O'Brien in a more concrete way. He knows about the soap, but he's not willing to expose her, even after all she's done to him and to Cora? Makes no sense to me. He just says he's done in.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    That said, the actress who plays O'Brien is outstanding.
    And whoever does the make-up to make her look like O'Brien is AMAZING. She's in the red dress in this picture.

medium_848a277e1d4624622c0abd732d5889a9.jpg
    Last edited by AZChristian; 02-11-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    Jexter likes this.

Oh my, I would definitely not have recognized this attractive lady as Mrs. O'Brien!
    AZChristian likes this.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

Like many have stated I am tired of the same stories over again. I'm tired of Thomas and I don't at all like Thomas being promoted to under butler. So he ends up being rewarded. I agree he shouldn't have been punished for this incident as it really wasn't his fault, but what about all the rotten things he has done...makes it hard for me to be happy to have him promoted to be boss over everyone else.

Also the reaction to his homosexuality was not true to the times. I mean perhaps there might have been one person who reacted by coddling him, but not everyone! I hate when historical fiction does this kind of thing to make the story more acceptable to the watcher/reader.
    Debb70 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread