+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 155 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898148 ... LastLast
Like Tree839Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    O'Brien set the soap on the floor intending Cora to slip on it. It was retaliation for Cora seeking a replacement for O'Brien...or so O'Brien thought. In reality, Cora was helping Violet find a replacement for her own lady's maid, who was leaving. O'Brien got an attack of conscience while Cora was still in the bath and started back to the bathroom to get the soap, but it was too late. O'Brien didn't find out that Cora wasn't planning on replacing her until after Cora lost the baby.
    Wow, you have such a great memory, Critical. That is exactly how it happened right down to O'Brien deciding to go back into Cora and retrieve the soap and then we hear Cora scream out.

I was so upset when Cora lost the baby. Didn't they say it was a boy?
    KAREN

Yes, Lord Grantham said that it was a boy when he was talking to Bates.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Here's an interesting article on Season 3. Good observations.

'Downton Abbey' annoyance: 10 characters who jumped the shark - The Clicker
    Oh my, Debb! Interesting article to say the least.
    KAREN

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    Oh my, Debb! Interesting article to say the least.
    Interesting, but I disagree. I rather enjoyed season 3. However, I must admit I viewed it differently than most. By mistake I watched the Christmas Special that aired after Season 3 so I already knew how all the story lines concluded.

I got a kick out of a link I found at the bottom of the previously posted article...

Jimmy Fallon's Downton Sixbey
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I really want to ban the phrase "jump the shark," not just from this site, but from the entire Internet. Now, any time someone doesn't like something - or wants to seem like they're just above it all - they wheel out that phrase. Sorry, but any so-called journalist who uses that phrase is just lazy.

I love Downton. If any season was weaker, it was season 2. I enjoyed it because I accept the show for what it is, melodrama, schmaltz and all. I think people like to mock things when they get popular because it makes them feel superior. I'm the first person to admit that sometimes popularity and quality don't go hand in hand but with Downton, that argument doesn't hold water.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

O'Brien had put the soap in a place where Cora would step on it as she got out of the tub, then she went into the next room. Right before she stepped out, O'Brien appeared to have a change of heart and was headed in to warn her. Too late. Cora stepped on the soap, fell down hard, and had a miscarriage of what would have been the MALE heir of Downton Abbey.

Not for most things, believe me! That was just a pretty major plot point in season 1 and it revealed O'Brien as more than just a "bad guy." When Cora was sick and O'Brien wouldn't leave her, you could see that there was genuine affection there.
    prhoshay likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I can't believe that this season is, rapidly, coming to an end. It just breaks my heart!
    ladygreco and AZChristian like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm embarrassed at how much I watch the show on disc. It's too easy to get through the whole series, there aren't enough episodes!
    prhoshay, Coco46 and AZChristian like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

CCL

Can Edith not catch a break? A married farmer kisses her, her old man husband-to-be jilts her and now she's got both in one package -an old, married man as a suitor (not as old as the last one though I swear they look enough alike to be related). I fear we're veering into Jane Eyre/madwoman in the attic territory with this one if its going to turn out right.

I thought Mary was taking measures not to get pregnant -just the vibe I got. Of course it was just some small operation that took a nanosecond and that's that?
    Last edited by CCL; 02-10-2013 at 11:28 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread