+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 145 FirstFirst ... 35363738394041424344454647484950515253545595 ... LastLast
Like Tree908Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

CCL

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Even Carson's eyebrows are indignant!

While I appreciate the sentiment in naming the Sibyl, I can see why it would cause unease.

I know people have been down on Mary vis a vis her interaction with Ethel last week but I saw her more as resigned than anything. She's a pragmatist and not one to utter platitudes when she knows that her relationship with Ethel will likely continue in the same fashion as it always has done. And I was glad she stood up for Sibyl (baby and mother) this week regarding the baptism.

I wonder if Daisy would leave Downton and become a tenant-farmer. And if she did would her story still be told on the show in some way (I guess as one of Downton's tenants, and maybe as a supplier to the Downton kitchen).
    ladygreco likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Does anyone else cringe every time O'Brien warns Jimmy not to tell on Thomas' overtures towards him? It is fascinating how the characters constantly evolve between "love/hate" relationships. Or maybe "like/not like" relationships. And I loved the previews when Bates returns to DA!

Quote Originally Posted by ladygreco View Post
    Does anyone else cringe every time O'Brien warns Jimmy not to tell on Thomas' overtures towards him? It is fascinating how the characters constantly evolve between "love/hate" relationships. Or maybe "like/not like" relationships. And I loved the previews when Bates returns to DA!
    O'Brien is a mean girl if ever there was one!
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

FORT Fogey

How come two of the main actors want/ed to leave the show? I get the sense that it is not a fun set. Anyone know?

I think it's just that they want to capitalize on the show's popularity to get bigger gigs elsewhere. I think it's worth noting that the actors are two of the younger ones in the cast, which shows their ambition as well as their impatience.
    Florimel likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

It's my understanding that all of the main original cast members were under contract through season 3. It makes sense that people would be considering their futures with the show before season 4.

Jessica Brown Findlay is doing just fine post-Downton. She's got two, maybe three movies (one is still in pre-production) coming out this year and she's co-starring with the likes of Russell Crowe, Will Smith, Amy Adams and Collin Farrell.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Thanks for the insight.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Did the actor who played Mathew leave on purpose or was it part of the script?

...sorry for the questions. I never watched the show until I gave it a go on Comcasts past episodes. I watched season 1 straight through and am now on to season 2. It's addictive.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 02-05-2013 at 04:41 AM.

IN answer to your question in spoilers,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the actor Dan Stevens (Matthew) has been co-starring with Jessica Chastain in a Broadway play for the past few months. He announced that he wanted to leave Downton so he could stay in New York (he even moved his family here) and do more theater. But I bet he'll end up with a movie or some NY-based TV work as well. So he's off the show because he didn't want to renew his contract.

Nobody else has been mentioned in news reports in terms of not returning for Season 4, but something happens in the upcoming final episode (spoiler below) that makes me think that someone else might not be returning. But we'll see.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    O'Brien -- she seems to take a job with another Lady, but it's left a little vague.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    IN answer to your question in spoilers,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the actor Dan Stevens (Matthew) has been co-starring with Jessica Chastain in a Broadway play for the past few months. He announced that he wanted to leave Downton so he could stay in New York (he even moved his family here) and do more theater. But I bet he'll end up with a movie or some NY-based TV work as well. So he's off the show because he didn't want to renew his contract.

Nobody else has been mentioned in news reports in terms of not returning for Season 4, but something happens in the upcoming final episode (spoiler below) that makes me think that someone else might not be returning. But we'll see.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    O'Brien -- she seems to take a job with another Lady, but it's left a little vague.
    With the exit of some main characters and the hints of other characters branching out I wonder if we are not seeing the groundwork for expansion of Downton in Season 3 and/or a spinoff. Off the top of my head, we are now spending a lot more time off the main house grounds with Ethel and Isobel, Daisy at the farm, Tom perhaps getting one of the estate's farms to run, even the servants are seen out and around town quite often...I just wonder if perhaps this was the goal all along or if the plot/world had to be expanded since so many characters have exited the show?

Click to see Spoiler:
    I keep reading everywhere that TPTB felt that they HAD to kill Matthew off because the relationship bw him and Lady Mary was so strong nothing else was believable...I call BS! If nothing else they could separate based on the endless disagreements over how Downton Abbey is run, etc... in real life lots of seemingly perfect couples end up apart because of numerous reasons...but it is just as believable and perhaps even more real to have a couple part ways rather than just kill off anyone who chooses to leave the show. Good grief!

Does anyone think that Lord Grantham, Robert has been rather angry this season?

He seems very moody this S3.

So many different instances AND then this week interrupting Lady Crawley's luncheon and demanding everyone come home.

I also think Carson seems much more stern S3 than past seasons.

Thoughts?
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread