+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 135 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445464748495090 ... LastLast
Like Tree704Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Mrs. Hughes said it best when talking to Anna and Thomas "We have lost the sweetest spirit under this roof."

OMG saddest episode ever.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    Lord G isn't dumb, he's just stuck...and that's what makes his behavior and decisions even more interesting. Here we have a guy who fights for his servants, treats most folks with respect and is an all-around decent guy but that last vestige of the old ways will likely always remain with him and for us that presents a problem. I'm not too proud to say that I wanted to strangle his conventional butt last night!

In most circumstances his refusal to "evolve," so to speak, doesn't have life-threatening consequences and for some would even seem honorable, like his consistent refusal to alter the business/finances of the estate even though forcing some renters out and making change would probably be better for everyone in the long run. The writers are really striving to setup the inevitable distance between Mr. Crawley and Lord G....as a larger metaphor for evolution and the passage of a age where noble sentiments sometimes did more harm than good (but, at what cost does this new "world" come as well?)

What I found most interesting, however, was the staging of characters during last night's episode. If you noticed they actually physically separated the different camps of thought on Sybil's treatment many times (in the drawing room, hall, even bedroom) and as the show progressed Matthew was not as firmly present with Lord G. and Sir Phillip as time progressed. In addition, the women were clearly on the side of taking the seemingly "less safe, public hospital" approach instead of the traditional, at-home birth almost from the start...so subtle and yet so poignant.

Finally, what an interesting development of Thomas's character last evening; I get the feeling we will start to like him more and then he will be struck by the public "homosexual" hammer that will really make us hurt for him (without this humanizing we might not feel too badly given his past). I find Thomas incredibly compelling--he is smart, savvy, cam from little yet strives for more in a world that has told him his place is unchangeable, and just a bit eerily disturbing--what a great actor and character!

This show is like intellectual crack for me...kudos to everyone for so many interesting scenes and moving moments last night!
    [I really like your thoughtful and thought provoking post.

Lord G lost some decent guy points with me when he wanted to hook up with that maid, and his idiocy quotient rose with the evidence of serious estate mismanagement and bullheaded refusal to weigh the optiors with regard to his daughter's condition. He had two in the room with child bearing experience (Cora and Violet)
    and a very experienced doctor ... Army doctor to boot. I guess I don't really get why they wouldn't have tranported her to the hospital and got some additional opinions. Tom ... the deciding party ... seemed to have decided on hospital until Lord G spouted off to him and then the labor began!

I didn't realize the decision debate positioning was all deliberate directorial staging so thanks for pointing that out. I'll watch again.

I fo agree that Thomas is a great actor/character ... but I was amused by the scene after Thomas was so familiar with JimmyJames. Note the look on (Alfred's Aunt ) O'Brien's face when she subtley enourages JImmy's interaction with Tom in order to help with Lord G.

I love this show !
    Last edited by echo226; 01-28-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    L

What I found most interesting, however, was the staging of characters during last night's episode. If you noticed they actually physically separated the different camps of thought on Sybil's treatment many times (in the drawing room, hall, even bedroom) and as the show progressed Matthew was not as firmly present with Lord G. and Sir Phillip as time progressed. In addition, the women were clearly on the side of taking the seemingly "less safe, public hospital" approach instead of the traditional, at-home birth almost from the start...so subtle and yet so poignant.

Finally, what an interesting development of Thomas's character last evening; I get the feeling we will start to like him more and then he will be struck by the public "homosexual" hammer that will really make us hurt for him (without this humanizing we might not feel too badly given his past). I find Thomas incredibly compelling--he is smart, savvy, cam from little yet strives for more in a world that has told him his place is unchangeable, and just a bit eerily disturbing--what a great actor and character!

This show is like intellectual crack for me...kudos to everyone for so many interesting scenes and moving moments last night!

I did notice that in the death scene. Matthew was right by the bed with Branson and Cora while the others were in the background. I thought Dr. Clarkson's words were some of the most chilling I've ever heard a character say. "It's eclampsia...once the seizures begin there's nothing you can do." I think hearing that was almost as painful as watching the actual death.

Yes, I really love what they're doing with Thomas, too. That scene where he cried for Sybil made me cry all over again. It humanized him so much, now I feel kind of sorry for him. In his own way, he's as stuck as Lord G, since he only thinks in terms of rising in the servant ranks. He's striving to get to the top of what the world has told him is his place. I didn't understand O'Brien's behavior until I read a brilliant analysis in a blog. She's encouraging Jimmy so that he'll eventually report Thomas for being too "friendly". Talk about devious and subtle. Now my sympathy has swung back to Thomas. At first I didn't like the interaction between Thomas and O'Brien this season, but it took a turn for the better last night.

And Mary, Mary quite contrary. First at one sister's wedding and then at another's deathbed you have to make catty remarks. I have totally and completely lost any good feeling for her.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

So, have the questions about whether Elizabeth McGovern can show emotion been answered? I think so.
    MFWalkoff likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yee haw! My Season 3 Blu-ray arrived today, several days before it hits the stores. And it includes the Christmas special! Thank you Amazon!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Yee haw! My Season 3 Blu-ray arrived today, several days before it hits the stores. And it includes the Christmas special! Thank you Amazon!
    Super! Hope mine arrives this week, too!

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

LOVED this episode last night. I actually really loved Mary because she is who she is... and she owns it! She doesn't try to adapt to please anyone. She really wanted Matthew's money just to keep Downton afloat... she certainly did *not* want for him to exert any influence or be anything but the proverbial silent partner.

Sad we lost Sybil.

I'm ready for Bates to get out of prison - I'm truly tiring of that whole storyline.
    Florimel and momrek06 like this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    LOVED this episode last night. I actually really loved Mary because she is who she is... and she owns it! She doesn't try to adapt to please anyone. She really wanted Matthew's money just to keep Downton afloat... she certainly did *not* want for him to exert any influence or be anything but the proverbial silent partner.

Sad we lost Sybil.

I'm ready for Bates to get out of prison - I'm truly tiring of that whole storyline.
    I agree with every one of your opinions, and I think Mary is very much like Violet. It's way past time for the Bates/Anna story to move on. They are both much more interesting in their home setting and interacting with both upstairs and downstairs characters.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    I agree especially watching the dialogue between her and Edith as they stood next to Sybil's bed saying good bye to Sybil.
    KAREN

I can understand Robert's hesitation a tad bit, though. They still have open wards in the government-run hospitals in Britain, and I was always afraid of being sent to one if I got that ill. That's why hubby and I eventually took out private medical insurance, so we could go to a private American-style hospital if need be. Anyone who can afford such insurance in Britain gets it. The government hospitals are seen as a kind of last resort for those who can't afford it.
    It's the same way in Sweden. The government run hospitals and medical system are very scary and more and more people are opting for private insurance and clinics.

+ Reply to Thread