+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 144 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989139 ... LastLast
Like Tree908Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Oh, my goodness. It's THAT episode tonight? I've been bracing myself all season for it. To paraphrase the great Betty Davis, "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be an emotional ride."

As for the love triangle of Daisy/Alfred/Ivy, I wonder if part of the reason Daisy has a crush on Alfred is because he has an aura of sophistication and/or glamour. I know he's a footman, but think about it. In the premiere episode, his aunt O'Brien said he had been a waiter in a hotel in London. Then he had that fling with the visiting American lady's maid. Obviously, he is not the conventional type of servant that Downton is used to. It's certainly foreign to Daisy's sheltered life.

This will sound funny, but I liked that scene last week of Edith having breakfast with the guys and planning how she's going to make a new life for herself. I guess it's because I'm a tomboy myself. I always preferred playing with boys, because girls were just too catty for my taste. Like Sybil and Edith, I wouldn't fit in with the whole "wealthy lady who barely lifts a finger" life, either. I've quite enjoyed watching the younger girls try to break free. Now, if only Edith could really embarrass Robert by speaking at a suffragette rally.

I also liked how Matthew supported Edith. I read in a blog that it's a shame, because Matthew is actually better suited for Edith. It's kind of true, isn't it? I mean, they're both outsiders who in their own ways are trying to push against the system. Oh, well. As long as Matthew continues to be Edith's friend, I guess I'll be happy.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

CCL

Sibyl! I knew it was going to happen but I still teared up. And all their reactions, right down to Thomas crying in the hallway,got me.
    PGM35 likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I wanted to punch Sir Philip. I thought Thomas making friendly with James/Jimmy was amusing.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I've already watched the season and have been watching it again on PBS. This is the one episode I probably won't watch again. Just too gut-wrenching.

I am glad I can finally talk about it. I've been SO good about not spoiling any of my friends.
    Miss_Griss, PGM35 and MFWalkoff like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

And while the episode was airing...

Congrats to Downton Abbey for winning Best Ensemble for a Drama at the SAG Awards!

Michelle Dockery and Maggie Smith were also nominated for Best Female Actor in a Drama.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I was pretty shocked that they won the SAG award. I thought sure it would go to the cast of Homeland. Nice to see some of the cast there all gussied up!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Sibyl! I knew it was going to happen but I still teared up. And all their reactions, right down to Thomas crying in the hallway,got me.

Yes, same here. I knew about it from reading British blogs, but it was still hard to actually watch. I cried all over again. Poor, poor Sybil. And such a waste. Just because her blasted father wouldn't listen to their blasted family doctor. I was SO proud that he stood up for his patient despite Sir Philip's bullying.

I can understand Robert's hesitation a tad bit, though. They still have open wards in the government-run hospitals in Britain, and I was always afraid of being sent to one if I got that ill. That's why hubby and I eventually took out private medical insurance, so we could go to a private American-style hospital if need be. Anyone who can afford such insurance in Britain gets it. The government hospitals are seen as a kind of last resort for those who can't afford it.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Maybe I can't relate to health care at that time, however, their longtime doctor thought she should go to a hospital. I would have gone with that recommendation. And even though women had different status at that time, I think I would have told my daughter's husband that I was taking her to the hospital and that the only way I would be stopped is if they cut off my head. Then I would have picked her up in my arms and carried her there myself if necessary.

Doctors can make mistakes, but to be so arrogant about it and so dismissive of the safeguard was inexcusable. How can Cora forgive her huband now? I guess she will for the sake of the program, but I don't think I will. Now I see why many viewers think he's an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post

Doctors can make mistakes, but to be so arrogant about it and so dismissive of the safeguard was inexcusable. How can Cora forgive her huband now? I guess she will for the sake of the program, but I don't think I will. Now I see why many viewers think he's an idiot.
    Lord G isn't dumb, he's just stuck...and that's what makes his behavior and decisions even more interesting. Here we have a guy who fights for his servants, treats most folks with respect and is an all-around decent guy but that last vestige of the old ways will likely always remain with him and for us that presents a problem. I'm not too proud to say that I wanted to strangle his conventional butt last night!

In most circumstances his refusal to "evolve," so to speak, doesn't have life-threatening consequences and for some would even seem honorable, like his consistent refusal to alter the business/finances of the estate even though forcing some renters out and making change would probably be better for everyone in the long run. The writers are really striving to setup the inevitable distance between Mr. Crawley and Lord G....as a larger metaphor for evolution and the passage of a age where noble sentiments sometimes did more harm than good (but, at what cost does this new "world" come as well?)

What I found most interesting, however, was the staging of characters during last night's episode. If you noticed they actually physically separated the different camps of thought on Sybil's treatment many times (in the drawing room, hall, even bedroom) and as the show progressed Matthew was not as firmly present with Lord G. and Sir Phillip as time progressed. In addition, the women were clearly on the side of taking the seemingly "less safe, public hospital" approach instead of the traditional, at-home birth almost from the start...so subtle and yet so poignant.

Finally, what an interesting development of Thomas's character last evening; I get the feeling we will start to like him more and then he will be struck by the public "homosexual" hammer that will really make us hurt for him (without this humanizing we might not feel too badly given his past). I find Thomas incredibly compelling--he is smart, savvy, cam from little yet strives for more in a world that has told him his place is unchangeable, and just a bit eerily disturbing--what a great actor and character!

This show is like intellectual crack for me...kudos to everyone for so many interesting scenes and moving moments last night!
    Last edited by mindy384; 01-28-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    PGM35 likes this.

I saw another death from eclampsia on Call The Midwife last night. It was a bit much. We have a family friend show almost died from it some years ago.

+ Reply to Thread