+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 149 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787137 ... LastLast
Like Tree802Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

CCL

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

A toaster! Imagine. Though I did wonder how Mrs Hughes could afford it as I would think the new-fangled thing was expensive.
    What's the time period they're in now? I'm trying to place the Irish incidents.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

If the show is trying to be historically correct, then it's probably 1922. In one of the earlier episodes, didn't Branson mention the Treaty and Ireland being a dominion? I vaguely recall that. If he did, then read on.

After about 50 years of agitating for Home Rule (the IRA was born during this time), Britain invited Irish reps to the bargaining table. They hammered out a treaty in 1922, whereby Ireland, formerly completely a part of the UK, would now be treated as a dominion like Canada or Australia. IOW, they could have their own parliament and some degree of autonomy, but not complete freedom.

The treaty was hugely controversial in Ireland. In fact, the country plunged into civil war over it. Eventually, the Treaty side won, but "just" as they say in Britain. (In case you're wondering, southern Ireland would finally break away free and become an independent republic in 1949. In order to do so, they had to leave behind Northern Ireland, which was heavily Protestant Anglo-Irish. Hence the violence between Irish and Catholics in NI until the 1990's.)

Anyway, the incident they described last night, with the noble family being thrown out of the castle, would have fit right in this period of violence and chaos. So would Branson's having to flee. If you set aside the Treaty and say that we're still back in 1920, then it would still fit. This was a period of violence, and both sides committed it.

And now on to a technical matter. Is there a place to view the rest of the episodes for this season, preferably for free? I've read about the spoilers, and I can't wait weeks to watch them. Thank you.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I'm not sure where you can view the rest of Season 3 for free. I think I want to wait and watch it happen on Sunday nights. I've read some spoilers too, but think I can wait it out. lol

Last night I had a change of opinion about Matthew. I thought he was right to want to correct the finances. He seemed rational and mature. And he realized how his suggestion would be received and sought advice from grandmother. Good idea. She was probably right too, about noses getting out of joint. Still, it must be done. I say, fix the problems or lose the money.

I love the previews where the maid turned prostitute is hired by Matthew's mom. I hope that can be worked out. Her regular maid was too heavy handed with the insults about the former maid and after all, regardless of her job, she was an invited guest in that home and that mouthy maid needs to get fired, IMO.

What do you make of the new footman?

Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    And now on to a technical matter. Is there a place to view the rest of the episodes for this season, preferably for free? I've read about the spoilers, and I can't wait weeks to watch them. Thank you.
    There are numerous sites that have season 3 available. However, because they violate copyright law, we don't allow links to be posted here. They're easy enough to locate with a basic google search
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Tom, ugh, leaving Sybil. I was so happy that she made it to DA.

I felt terrible for Ethel. Charlie and his cap.

Mrs. Crawley's maid is so mean.

I felt great for Bates and Anna. I love the way JF filmed them and their letters.

Mrs. Hughes and the toaster. LOL.

Thomas eyeing the new footman. James/Jimmy is a cutie.

Daisy and her Dad. That was a sweet and nice conversation between them.

I am so glad that Matthew is going through the books at DA and realizing bookKEEPING needs addressing.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    If the show is trying to be historically correct, then it's probably 1922. In one of the earlier episodes, didn't Branson mention the Treaty and Ireland being a dominion? I vaguely recall that. If he did, then read on.
    According to program information I've read, it's supposed to be Aug/Sept 1920.

Creator Julian Fellowes tries to be historically accurate, but sometimes his grasp of elapsed time between episodes goes a little fuzzy. It's amazing how over 8 years have passed since the very first episode, and yet people don't seem to be aging much at all.

Favorite line:

Cora: "I think Mama is right."
    Dowager Countess: "Can somebody write that down?"

"Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post

I felt great for Bates and Anna. I love the way JF filmed them and their letters.

I am so glad that Matthew is going through the books at DA and realizing bookKEEPING needs addressing.
    I loved so many of the vignettes from last night. The closing scene with the fadeout of Bates and the fade-in of Anna was lovely. I'm enthralled about Daisy finding that perfect parental figure so late in her life. I sobbed the first time she went to the farm and spent time with William's father. (Having had a crappy childhood makes me a sucker for that type of thing.)

The Matthew storyline makes me crazy! First, he's so high and mighty and noble and good that he doesn't want to accept the money from either Robert's entail or Lavinia's father. This guy is so incredibly LUCKY that all sorts of people are dying (literally) to leave him huge gobs of money that he doesn't even want. Sheesh. And now, suddenly, he's becoming Mr. Manager (but thank goodness SOMEONE is doing SOMETHING other than changing clothes 5 times a day). I guess it makes more sense for him to put his efforts into maintaining and growing his own future, rather than that boring lawyer stuff he started out doing. The whole situation just makes me LOL.
    PGM35 likes this.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    Tom, ugh, leaving Sybil. I was so happy that she made it to DA.
    Thomas eyeing the new footman. James/Jimmy is a cutie.
    Isn't that William's father that Daisy was talking to?

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    Isn't that William's father that Daisy was talking to?
    I think in the last season, William's father asked if he could be her dad, since all of his children had died. Kind of an "honorary" dad to Daisy.

CCL

Daisy's interest in Alfred confuses me a bit because he reminds me a lot of William, both in terms of personality and even physically, and Daisy was adamantly not romantically interested in William. Though I guess her tastes could have changed.
    Debb70 likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread