+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 149 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344454686136 ... LastLast
Like Tree802Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Affair?? I think it was more like a 'romp'!

And, yes, certain men were expected to try to protect a woman's virginity....but more men were trying to 'get at her'....and the people who were supposed to 'protect' were definitely outnumbered!

A lot of women have always liked "bad boys", despite anyone's best efforts!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 01-16-2013 at 06:19 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydayz View Post
    I think Sir Anthony got a bit swept away by all of Edith's attention and maybe some dreams/fantasies of being in love with a young girl again. Then he hears Robert's doubts and concerns (despite all Robert's "happy" comments), and then Edith tells Anthony that he's going to be her lifelong project or work. Yikes! How scary is that?!
    Good observation.

Matthew's self-righteous martyrdom was getting really old. What a grumpy, angry, spoiled brat! I liked him a lot better before he and Mary got married. Maybe now that the money issue has been settled he'll revert to his more likable self.

Same here! I must clarify that, however. I really liked his character in Season 1. Then in Season 2, when he started the self-righteous kick of trying to push Lavinia away, he started to get on my nerves. Now he irritates the heck out of me.

Loved Granny's comment about the uneaten, unused wedding food...."if the poor don't want it, bring it to me."
    My kind of woman!

My favorite scene was Carson singing after hearing the good news about Mrs. Hughes! And how touching was the known/unknown interaction between Carson, Mrs. Patmore, and Mrs. Hughes. So very sweet.

I know. I have enjoyed this storyline more than any other this season. I hope they continue to pursue it. It would be lovely if we saw more interaction between Carson and Mrs. Hughes, a la "Remains of the Day". And definitely want to see more of Mrs. Patmore. Next to Lady Cora, she's my favorite character!
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

My favorite characters are Maggie Smith's character and that of Edith.

My least favorite are Mary and Matthew.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Mary seems different from the first 2 seasons.....maybe a little more severe. She seemed softer the first 2 seasons.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I don't know if this belongs here or in another thread, but I just found another Masterpiece Mystery show that has started on PBS. It's titled, Death in Paradise. They are airing series 1, which was done in 2011, IMDB shows that there is a series 2 listed for 2013.

I've seen two episodes and they seems to be starting at the beginning. It's a light-hearted British murder mystery series startting Ben Miller as a downright, uptight, English police inspector who finds himself transferred to a tiny Caribbean island where he is definitely out of place. I find the show highly entertaining and would recommend it to anyone who loves the British mystery series.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I keep waiting for Elizabeth McGovern to show some emotional range as Cora. Maybe it's the way her character is written, but I wonder what a better actress could do with that role.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I keep waiting for Elizabeth McGovern to show some emotional range as Cora. Maybe it's the way her character is written, but I wonder what a better actress could do with that role.
    Just wait. It's coming. I think she's a terrific actress. Cora just isn't allowed to show a lot of emotion.
    Florimel and Babbred like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yeah, I think part of Cora's character is that she has learned to mute her American personality somewhat, or at least make it all more subtle, as a way to adapt to English ways. But I like how she comforts Robert when he is despondent about losing the money by saying, "You know me, I'm American -- have gun, will travel." I laughed at that line the first time I heard it last fall, now it's more ironic...
    prhoshay, PGM35 and Babbred like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Yeah, I think part of Cora's character is that she has learned to mute her American personality somewhat, or at least make it all more subtle, as a way to adapt to English ways. But I like how she comforts Robert when he is despondent about losing the money by saying, "You know me, I'm American -- have gun, will travel." I laughed at that line the first time I heard it last fall, now it's more ironic...

I loved that scene in the first episode of this season where Mary was crying in her lap. To paraphrase:

"Oh, woe is me! We'll have to downgrade to only 8 servants and a Place instead of an Abbey! How will we survived?"

Cora's response: "You pick yourself up and move on. Suck it up."

Spoken like a true American! I cheered for her in that scene.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fan

How hilarious that Mr. Carson thinks having an electric toaster in the house is worse than harboring a revolutionary! I love the interactions between he and Mrs. Hughes.

+ Reply to Thread