+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 145 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585135 ... LastLast
Like Tree908Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

I saw it, Debb70. It was wonderfully interesting.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

A part of me wondered if Sir Anthony is gay and didn't want to have to come out and say it?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    A part of me wondered if Sir Anthony is gay and didn't want to have to come out and say it?
    That thought did cross my mind, but he did seem really interested in Edith some years ago when he showed up for their outdoor event and Mary lied and ran him off. He seemed quite distraught that Edith did not fancy him as he had thought. Perhaps that was an act. It's difficult to say.

I'm a little surprised that such a fuss was made over the age difference, as I thought older men with younger women was common...then and even now.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    That thought did cross my mind, but he did seem really interested in Edith some years ago when he showed up for their outdoor event and Mary lied and ran him off. He seemed quite distraught that Edith did not fancy him as he had thought. Perhaps that was an act. It's difficult to say.
    Speaking of which, why did Edith write to the Turkish Embassy? Wasn't it because Mary had screwed her somehow and Edith wanted revenge? Although I didn't approve of her action, I still have more sympathy for Edith. Mary has been nothing but a spoiled brat throughout the series, expecting to have everything handed to her on the proverbial silver platter. And she's won, too, which means she'll probably be insufferable in the future. No wonder Sybil ran away and Edith is going crazy.

I wish that Edith would go away to America. I bet her and her maternal grandmother could have some quite interesting adventures. If I'm remembering corretly, wasn't it Edith who encouraged the housemaid in Season 1 who wanted to become a secretary and rise farther in life?

I'm a little surprised that such a fuss was made over the age difference, as I thought older men with younger women was common...then and even now.

You are correct. Maybe not among the lower classes, but absolutely among the upper classes. Speaking of upper classes, that's another way that Mary won. A true nobleman of Lord Robert's time would have died of shame if his daughter had confessed that she wasn't a virgin. He probably would have punished her in some way, too. Virginity was still a big deal for unmarried women back then, and would remain so into our own time among European elite. Remember the Diana/Camilla fiasco among the Royal Family?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It was Sybil who encouraged the maid who wanted to be a secretary. Sybil has always been the sister who was more independent-minded and needed to forge her own path. Sybil is a very independent woman. I don't think Sybil "ran away"; she was going to go, no matter what.

And, truthfully, I doubt that there were many virgins around, over time...in general. As long as sex has been around....people have been "bumping uglies", hiding it anyway that they had to!
    Florimel likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    You are correct. Maybe not among the lower classes, but absolutely among the upper classes. Speaking of upper classes, that's another way that Mary won. A true nobleman of Lord Robert's time would have died of shame if his daughter had confessed that she wasn't a virgin. He probably would have punished her in some way, too. Virginity was still a big deal for unmarried women back then, and would remain so into our own time among European elite. Remember the Diana/Camilla fiasco among the Royal Family?
    I think the more important factor in Sir Anthony's unsuitability as a match for Edith is his war injury. Like it or not, men who came back from war with such injuries were often considered "half a man." That, coupled with his age, posed a problem. I thought Sir Anthony was a bad match for Edith anyway. It didn't feel like a love match to me. It felt like Edith trying to avoid becoming a spinster.

I'm firmly on Mary's side in the Edith vs. Mary feud. Edith writing to the Turkish ambassador about Mary's indiscretion with Mr. Pamuk was beyond disloyal. Even today, a foreign dignitary dying in the bed of a member of the aristocracy (and a young female one at that) would probably cause a scandal. In pre-WWI / late-Edwardian England, Edith "outing" Mary could have ruined her reputation for the rest of her life and could have ruined the family as well. I don't hate Edith, but I think she's still terribly immature and impulsive.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I would categorize Edith as "slightly squirrelly." Mary's affair with Pamuk lasted about an hour, and he was the pursuer. Edith has gone after an old, infirmed man, a disfigured possible cousin, and a local farmer, all unsuccessfully thanks to her need to see herself in someone else's adoring eyes (or to one-up Mary).

Mary is arrogant, self-centered and entitled. Edith's jealousy of being the Jan Brady of the bunch has made her slightly cracked.

(Just IMO of course)
    Florimel likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I would categorize Edith as "slightly squirrelly." Mary's affair with Pamuk lasted about an hour, and he was the pursuer. Edith has gone after an old, infirmed man, a disfigured possible cousin, and a local farmer, all unsuccessfully thanks to her need to see herself in someone else's adoring eyes (or to one-up Mary).

Mary is arrogant, self-centered and entitled. Edith's jealousy of being the Jan Brady of the bunch has made her slightly cracked.

(Just IMO of course)
    I've seen people around the internet start to call Edith "Jan Brady". Now I'm not sure I'll be able to watch her scenes with a straight face.

As for Mary, I couldn't agree more, Critical, that her affair would have ruined her reputation and tarnished the family had it become known. But as the old cliche goes, "it takes two to tango". She could have screamed when he came to her bedroom. Or asked her father to intervene before that. Yes, girls were supposed to be virgins, but men were expected to protect them. Mary could have traded on that cultural expectation and nobody would have thought less of her. It was her letting the Turk stay and then having to cover it up that made her and the family vulnerable. Again, I'm not defending Edith. I'm just saying that there's plenty of blame to go around.
    Florimel likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Since the issue of Mary's virginity has come up again, may I please repeat my question about her and the Turkish man. I made it upthread, but perhaps no one knew or had a response.

Recall when the Turk was trying to convince Mary to hook up? She was initially opposed. But, then recall how he made a comment about how there were things they could do sexually that would not ruin her technically. I used my imagination and thought that is what happened. Later, Mary seemed to gloss over it. I'm not sure if it matters at this point. She's now married.

Edith does remind me of a childhood friend that was also the middle daugther. She was a freckled red head and did not resemble her sisters. She was one of my very best friends for many years and a dear person. Perhaps that's why I defend Edith so. lol

FORT Fan

I think Sir Anthony got a bit swept away by all of Edith's attention and maybe some dreams/fantasies of being in love with a young girl again. Then he hears Robert's doubts and concerns (despite all Robert's "happy" comments), and then Edith tells Anthony that he's going to be her lifelong project or work. Yikes! How scary is that?!

I couldn't understand what the prisoner told Bates when they were walking in the prison yard (other than check your bedding), and I didn't recognize what Bates found and then hid in the wall. What was it??

Matthew's self-righteous martyrdom was getting really old. What a grumpy, angry, spoiled brat! I liked him a lot better before he and Mary got married. Maybe now that the money issue has been settled he'll revert to his more likable self.

Loved Granny's comment about the uneaten, unused wedding food...."if the poor don't want it, bring it to me."

My favorite scene was Carson singing after hearing the good news about Mrs. Hughes! And how touching was the known/unknown interaction between Carson, Mrs. Patmore, and Mrs. Hughes. So very sweet.

+ Reply to Thread