+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 156 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484134 ... LastLast
Like Tree846Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Katie has some great guests. I think I'm going to start just DVRing her every day. I can then sort through what I want to see on the weekends.

LOL!!! Downton Abbey Facebook recap from last Sunday!!! LOL!!!

Downton Abbey Facebook Recap | Happy Place
    MFWalkoff likes this.
    KAREN

CCL

Ha! That was great. Thanks for posting.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Okay. I have a few questions about the trouble that seems to get started with the staff at DA. It's usually the same ones causing the problems. Mr. Mosley got caught up in it last night. Why don't the employers inquire into the root of the problems and take care of it? Why doesn't Carson get to the bottom of it? Recall when the shirts went missing? Why wouldn't there have been an investigation into the reason for it. Carson did know about the reason the new guy put a hole in Mr. Crawely's suit right? It just seems like too mischief is being tolerated with certain staff members. I guess the writers have to have something to be going on huh?

Matthew really annoyed me last night. Until the end he behaved like a 4 year-old child. I'm beginning to feel sorry for Mary. He really is acting like a spoiled child.

Poor Edith. What happened to her was beyond horrible. That man could have at least called it off before she walked down the isle. I hope we never see him again! PLEASE bring Edith a good husband.

Does anyone know why Bates' cellmate hates him so much?

The lady who gave information to Anna about Mrs. Bates seemed to lying big time. Why?

These are just my perceptions on things, they may or may not be fact:

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Okay. I have a few questions about the trouble that seems to get started with the staff at DA. It's usually the same ones causing the problems. Mr. Mosley got caught up in it last night. Why don't the employers inquire into the root of the problems and take care of it? Why doesn't Carson get to the bottom of it? Recall when the shirts went missing? Why wouldn't there have been an investigation into the reason for it. Carson did know about the reason the new guy put a hole in Mr. Crawely's suit right? It just seems like too mischief is being tolerated with certain staff members. I guess the writers have to have something to be going on huh?
    I think it has to do with the fact that Cora, while aware that O'Brien is a terror to others, is still comfortable with her, and probably thinks it's harder to break in a new lady's maid than to put up with O'Brien's negatives. Plus, several years have passed since O'Brien caused Cora to slip on the soap and miscarry, and she's spent that time being a contrite, faithful servant. I guess each member of the family would gladly get rid of troublesome staff, as long as it's not their own personal servant. As a result, nobody seems to get the sack.

Poor Edith. What happened to her was beyond horrible. That man could have at least called it off before she walked down the isle. I hope we never see him again! PLEASE bring Edith a good husband.
    I felt bad for her too, but I also saw it as karma for the horrible thing she'd done to Mary when she wrote the Turkish ambassador. Mary and Edith had always fought with each other and competed over men, but Edith took it way too far. Also, she was naive to the point of delusion in picking Sir Anthony as her target. He tried to tell her a hundred times to give it up, until he simply didn't have the strength to fight her anymore. The whole thing was really in her mind.

It could be because he's a nobleman's servant -- other prisioners might think he feels superior to them. Also, there's the resentment when they see a posh lawyer come to visit him, and that he has so many people working to free him.

The lady who gave information to Anna about Mrs. Bates seemed to lying big time. Why?
    I don't think she was lying exactly. She'd spent all that time living next to Mrs. Bates and being fed only her side of the story, that she was convinced it was the truth. It's why she felt so free in giving details about what food Mrs. Bates was preparing, which just might end up being useful information for Anna...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Thanks for your comments MFWalkoff. I agree with some them.

I think we may have a difference of opinion about Edith. I never thought too negatively of what Edith did as compared to Mary. Mary was horrible to Edith. I guess it's a personality thing, but I far prefer Edith over Mary and despite her mistakes find her a much better person.

Ref. the woman who sang the praises of Mrs. Bates. The reason I thought she was lying is that we know Mrs. Bates was not afraid of her husband. She showed up and ordered him home in no time flat. She was not the timid kind at all, so the woman's description to me seemed VERY off. And the description she gave of a hallo around the woman as she walked in the rain was just too unbelievable. I don't get it. I guess time will tell. I still have not looked at the spoilers on this topic.

I figure Mrs. Bates played the part of the frightened, sainted victim to the neighbor, to get her sympathy so she would have the kind of story to tell others that she told Anna.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Oh that comment about the HALO … give me a break.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post

I don't know about all that. However, the pettiness between O'Brien and Thomas has gotten old. They both need to grow up. Speaking of which...

Matthew really annoyed me last night. Until the end he behaved like a 4 year-old child. I'm beginning to feel sorry for Mary. He really is acting like a spoiled child.

Actually, I'm sick of both of them. Her husband took a position based on his moral convictions, she doesn't like it, so she badgers him about it day and night. And let's see. Him sticking by those convictions would mean what? That poor Mary would have to move to a house that only had eight servants and that...how did Branson put it? "Looks like a fairy palace to most people." I felt kind of sorry for her last week, but this week she just got on my nerves. Now I know why her mother wanted to probably hit her.

Not that Matthew gets off scott-free. I agree that he acted like a spoiled child. I was also confused. Somebody will have to refresh my memory about last season. So Lavinia tried to break it off, but Matthew refused. So what did Lavinia write? "Dear Daddy, my fiance has fallen in love with another woman. I tried to do the noble and tragic thing by letting him go, but he just as nobly refused." And Mr. Swires thinks this is reason to be enamored of Matthew? The whole letter thing was just too pat. No wonder Matthew thought it was a fake. (That reminds me. Some commenter on a blog said that they wished Mary had forged it. That would have been a drama worthy of Scarlett O'Hara.)

So Downton is saved, and now M & M can settle down and produce heirs. So are we going to focus on Edith and Sybil for the rest of the season?

At first I agreed with you. Now, I don't know. Sir Anthony did appear pretty desperate. He said that he had tried to call it off, but Edith wouldn't listen. Although I think it's horrible that it happened at the wedding, I kind of sympathize with the groom. He would probably have gone crazy with Edith's endless fussing. You're right, MF. Edith was so desperate not to be a spinster, that the whole thing was in her mind. Better for her to find out now, then go through the worse agony of finding out Anthony didn't love her after the marriage. And besides, he was a wuss. Remember last week when he just rolled right over and agreed to do whatever Robert wanted? Edith is better off without him.

Speaking of which, I was a reading a blog last night that does recaps. In the comments beneath, somebody had a fascinating insight about Edith. The "piece of commentary" he's referring to is an an interview with the show's creator, Julian Fellowes, that he had read.

She’s rather more complex than Sybil, and much more active, but she’s always taking the wrong way around to do anything, and it’s usually the wrong thing. She keeps mistaking the means for the goal; she’s pursuing a husband instead of pursuing a life, and she’s trying to go on living like it’s still 1914. (Part of the irony of Robert’s disapproval of her marriage to Strallon is that Robert is guilty of the very same thing.)

In his one piece of commentary about Edith, Fellowes said she’s waiting for life to come to her door, and she’s waiting in vain—or worse; that people like her have to leave their place of comfort and make their own luck and their own lives.
    I wonder if Fellowes is hinting that, like Sybil, Edith will try to leave Downton and find a life of her own?

I agree with you, MF. Bates has spent his career working for noblemen. Remember when he first arrived, we were told that he had served as Lord Robert's "batman" (military valet) during the Boer War? So Bates probably has an air about him that sets him apart from the other prisoners.

MF answered:

I figure Mrs. Bates played the part of the frightened, sainted victim to the neighbor, to get her sympathy so she would have the kind of story to tell others that she told Anna.
    Good point. I thought it was maybe because she was afraid of somebody--just not Bates. (Maybe that nasty newspaper editor that was Mary's fiance?)

I thought Carson singing at the end was a lovely touch. Once again, the Mrs. Hughes story was my favorite this week.

Wonder why that maid keeps showing up where Isobel is? Is she regretting not giving up her son? I mean, she keeps saying, "I don't want help for me," so that might mean she wants help for him.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Did anyone watch the documentary after DA about the real castle that DA is based? I think it may have been mentioned upthread some time ago. It was GREAT! I highly recommend it if you can find it on PBS or online. The story of DA is loosely based on true people and events, such as the use of the castle for wounded soldiers. They share so many details about the true family who has owned the house for over 300 years and the castle itself, grounds, chefs, etc. Their family is famous for reasons you would never expect.

+ Reply to Thread