+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 145 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041424383133 ... LastLast
Like Tree908Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Great 3 hours of television. I watched Call The Midwife before Downton Abby.

Anyone speculating about what really happened to Bate's wife? I have my theories, though they don't seem likely. Anyone recall when Mosley asked Bate's then girlfriend out and she professed her love for Bates? She said he held her heart. That was him, right? Recall how he seemed to be so touched by her devotion to Bates, though he was disappointed she would not accept his advances. And about that time Bate's wife had caused her and Bates so much pain? It made me wonder if Mosley decided to step in and off the woman. Is that too crazy?

No clue about his wife, but I loved it when Bates clobbered his cell mate at the end. "Oh, I forgot. You're in here for murder." "And don't you forget it." There were times when Bates got on my nerves last season, but he redeemed himself tonight. That and insisting that Anna go to France and "live life for both of us".

Mary is still my least favorite sister, although this feeling Matthew has about not accepting the money he is to inherit is just ridiculous, IMO.

I have never liked Mary. Edith's cattiness irritates me, too, but at least I can understand her. Being the oldest daughter, Mary would have gotten the lion's share of attention growing up, not to mention dowry money. I like Sybil the best, for daring to have the courage to leave that world and join "the real one".

And Matthew's sanctimonious refusal to help his wife's family is grating. Yes, I understand his qualms of conscience. It reminds me of Daisy's situation last season. (Is that the one? The maid who carried on because she didn't really love the footman, William, but married him on his deathbed, anyway.) I sympathize with him tremendously. However, in Matthew's case the consequences are a lot more dire than the maid's if he doesn't accept. His wife's entire family would be forced to give up the only home they've ever known. That was the one part where I supported Mary. I would have thrown a fit, too, if I had been her.

I must admit that I'm a little disappointed in Shirley McClain's character. I was expecting more for some reason. It just fell a little flat. Perhaps the directors could have intervened more.
    Yes, I was disappointed, too. The picnic ending was great. The rest of the time, though, her character seemed unbalanced. It's like she was playing a parody of an eccentric rich woman.

The constant moralizing about needing to change/hang on to tradition was also tedious. Not to mention the Irish history lectures. I happened to have studied Irish history in college, so maybe I'm biased since I know the background already. I wonder how Matthew and Mary's children are going to react when Ireland finally gets its independence after WWII? Bet they had some more great dinner conversations with Tom and Sybil's kids...if the latter were even allowed at Downton.
    mindy384 likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fan

I love this show! DA, that is. I just started watching a couple of weeks ago, and as of yesterday, have watched every episode. It's pretty much consumed my life the past couple of weeks.

The fast pace surprised me. I can't believe they're already at 1920. Wow! I started out not liking Mary too much, but she's grown on me. She seemed to mellow some after her "mistake." And I love Maggie Smith in this! She's definitely one of my favorites. She gets some of the best lines.

Hoping Bates gets released soon for Anna's sake. She's as sweet as can be. I can't figure out who killed Bates' wife either. Perhaps Mosley did have something to do with it.
    Last edited by sunnydayz; 01-09-2013 at 11:49 PM.

I must admit that I'm a little disappointed in Shirley McClain's character. I was expecting more for some reason. It just fell a little flat. Perhaps the directors could have intervened more.
    I feel the same way, although there is something about her appearance that seems unnatural. I don't remember Shirley's features being so sharp before. She is portraying Cora's mother as crass, but maybe that's the point!

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: Mr. Selfridge

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy View Post
    Piven was a little over the top but I think he's supposed to be that way. Mr Selfridge was larger than life. I enjoyed it but I just finished watching an 8 episode mini series called The Paradise and they are very similar.
    "The Paradise" sounds really intriguing Duxxy. Can you tell us a liittle more about it, and on what network or on-line site you watched it? Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by ladygreco View Post
    [I]
    I feel the same way, although there is something about her appearance that seems unnatural. I don't remember Shirley's features being so sharp before. She is portraying Cora's mother as crass, but maybe that's the point!

Thank you! I thought I was crazy. I kept thinking, "I sure don't remember Shirley MacLaine looking this angular and harsh before." I thought it was kind of sad what they did to her character.

On a more positive note, though, I thought I'd list some things I liked from the premiere. It's funny, because in the first couple of seasons, I liked the upstairs shenanigans more. This season, however, it looks like my interest will shift downstairs.

Loved how O'Brien got revenge on nasty Thomas. That look on both his and Lord Robert's face was priceless. "ALL of them?"

As I said above, loved the Anna/Bates storyline. Can't wait to see who the killer was.

And my favorite, the "Mrs. Hughes has cancer" story. My eyes teared up every time she and Mrs. Patmore had a scene together. The writers did a bang-up job showing their beautiful friendship. And I wanted to shake Carson every time he treated Mrs. Hughes badly. I feel like I'm watching one of those old Merchant/Ivory films like "Remains of the Day" when I watch that story.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

On Shirley McLaine's look: I think all they did was give her period-accurate makeup & hairstyling. Back then they weren't as concerned with creating illusions as with modern-day techniques. She's 78 years old -- once in a while she's going to take a role in which she looks her age.
    prhoshay and Florimel like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Did anyone get a chance to watch "KATIE" yesterday?

Cora, Carson, Thomas, Anna, Daisy, Robert

It was GREAT! Daisy is adorable. Thomas so friendly. Anna very sweet. Carson so jovial. Cora and Robert were rather quiet.
    KAREN

OH no. I missed it. Too bad. I would love to see more of that cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    OH no. I missed it. Too bad. I would love to see more of that cast.
    Ohh, sorry, Debb. I always wish I could post shows like this IF I know in advance.

But living on the West coast, more times than not it is already shown on the East coast.

My Sis, texted me yesterday to watch it AFTER she had seen it. (She lives in Boston).
    KAREN

"Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread