+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 152 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940414282132 ... LastLast
Like Tree819Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

I LOVE the writers!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by ladygreco View Post
    Question: Why doesn't Downton Abbey have it's own category? It's hard to find under Masterpiece Theater!
    I tried doing that, LG!!!

I stated in my OP on the new thread that we needed a separate thread for DA!!!

Before I knew it my thread was gone and actually merged back into this one!!!

Sooooooooo, I have no clue why we can't have a separate thread for DA???

Maybe a MOD can weigh in here.
    KAREN

I'm so addicted to this show it's stupid. I love how there are no commercials but I find myself pausing the the action just to reflect on my reactions to what is happening on the show. I geniunely like the "upper" crust featured here but my instinctive reaction is always "who do they think they are treating these folks like servants no matter how kind they may be!?" Then, I have to further weigh the then-current climate and whether or not I am being fair since the servants are technically paid employees that are free to come & go as they please. I never contemplate these questions too long, however, because I start getting antsy to see what will happen next and I'm hitting the play button again...BUT, kudos to the writers for presenting such complex and interesting characters, situations and stories that actually force me to stop and reflect
    PGM35 likes this.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    I tried doing that, LG!!!

I stated in my OP on the new thread that we needed a separate thread for DA!!!

Before I knew it my thread was gone and actually merged back into this one!!!

Sooooooooo, I have no clue why we can't have a separate thread for DA???

Maybe a MOD can weigh in here.
    Probably because all the DA stuff is already in here. Plus the majority of the discussion, while DA is on at least, is about DA so this could be considered a de facto DA thread, really.
    Critical and momrek06 like this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Downton is on for, what, 7 weeks out of the year (considering that PBS combines episodes like they did this past Sunday) and it's a part of the series Masterpiece, so we chose to not give it its own thread. Because it's the only show on Masterpiece right now, it should be easy to find the posts
    momrek06 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks, Critical!
    KAREN

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I go back and forth on Nurse Jenny. She is quite judgmental which is understandable I guess, coming from a well-off upbringing and being thrown into post-war East End London (mind you, Chummy comes from an even more drastically different background and I've never found her judgmental). But then she -Jenny- gets all mad whenever anyone makes a judging comment about something she was judging twenty minutes earlier. I want to introduce her to a kettle. Don't even get me started on her mooning over her married lover who, from what little we've seen of him, seems utterly charmless.

But I'd watch any day of the week just for Chummy. She's the best. Her romance with the police officer has been just lovely.
    I think the difference with Chummy is that she's from a privileged background but was judged a lot. Her mother obviously judged her and found her wanting, and in the Christmas special she felt for the teenage girl who was larger (and, as we later found out, pregnant) and mentioned that she remembered what it was like being that age and feeling like she was the wrong size and didn't fit in. It wouldn't surprise me if she were teased for being uncoordinated as well, since she had a lot of trouble learning to ride that bike.

I love Chummy too, and I especially liked the episode when she turned herself in to her police officer beau and then got to tell her mother what she'd be wearing at the wedding and why. Chummy's fun to watch, because we've gotten to see her grow so much in a short period of time.

I also love that the nuns aren't shown as these perfect, saintly creatures. I went to a Catholic college, and the nuns I had contact with there, in the classroom and outside of it, ran the gamut of personalities, just like people everywhere else, and they certainly didn't lack for senses of humor either.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: Mr. Selfridge

Thank you both very much for the heads up. I do love the period dramas, so I'm so glad to hear about this one coming up in March!

Piven was a little over the top but I think he's supposed to be that way. Mr Selfridge was larger than life. I enjoyed it but I just finished watching an 8 episode mini series called The Paradise and they are very similar.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Yes, thanks for the heads up. I'm not the biggest Jeremy Piven fan, but the show sounds compelling. I'll be watching.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread