+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 149 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181131 ... LastLast
Like Tree798Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

LOVED the entire PREMIER!!!

I just wished we had seen more of the wedding!!!

RECAP for all!!!

1 "Episode One"
    March 1920. Cora’s mother sweeps into Downton for Matthew and Mary’s wedding, causing friction with the Dowager Countess with her "revolutionary" way of seeing things. Lord Grantham is informed that his attempt to make money for Downton by pouring the bulk of Cora's fortune into a single railway company has failed, leaving the estate near bankruptcy. Salvation is possible thanks to Matthew inheriting a large amount of money from Lavinia's father, but his high values will not let him keep the money, feeling it a betrayal of Lavinia and her father. Meanwhile, O'Brien's nephew Alfred joins the staff downstairs and struggles against both Carson's high standards and Thomas' vindictive behaviour.

2 "Episode Two"
    April 1920. With the future of Downton hanging in the balance, Mary and the Dowager Countess conspire to show Downton at its grandest, thereby persuading Mrs Levinson to give Downton more money and save them from financial ruin. Their attempts are impeded by the oven breaking down, forcing Mrs Levinson to throw the impromptu party herself. She reveals, when finally asked for help, that though she will "entertain them in New York" she cannot provide them money, as her own late husband tied it up much as Violet's did, feeling the Crawleys had more than their share. She laments their impending loss but tells them they have to adapt to the changing world, and states her intent to return to America. Meanwhile downstairs, O'Brien and Thomas wage war against one another due to Alfred's recent promotion to valet to Matthew, whilst Mrs Levinson's maid takes a shine to Alfred. Mrs Hughes faces a cancer scare that she shares only with Mrs Patmore and Doctor Clarkson, and Mrs Isobel Crawley finds Ethel has become a prostitute.
    Last edited by momrek06; 01-07-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    Moontat likes this.
    KAREN

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

I went to bed with a huge smile last night - the one-hour special about Highclere (which I hope to visit next year), plus the two hours of Downton Abbey. I've already ordered the set of Season 3 from Amazon - they're supposed to be mailed in a few weeks, and I can't WAIT. I've followed spoiler sites, so I have an idea of what's happening this season, but ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhh, it's so much more glorious to actually see each episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    It made me wonder if Mosley decided to step in and off the woman. Is that too crazy?
    Yep. It is. Molesly can't even serve wine at dinner without getting hammered.

I also found it rather odd that the Lord of Downton would have been so foolish to have taken such a great risk with their money. Seems odd to me. Do you think it's for real or was the accountant who gave him to news crooked and he stole the money? Just wondering.
    Robert is the one who told him to invest the money. No scheming there. With Downton, remember that when you hear hooves, look for horses, not zebras. It's not Scandal!

I have to say, having seen the season already has really affected how I watch it on PBS.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I practically bawled through all of Sibyl's scenes because of what's coming and through Mary and Matthew's wedding too.
    Last edited by Critical; 01-07-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    MFWalkoff likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

If I was Matthew I'd be making off with Reggie Swire's money, no problem. He did make Lavinia happy (albeit not at the end) and saving Downton is a worthy cause (ok, I get Shirley Maclaine's point about moving with the times and giving up the house but Downton, although not a charity in itself, does support and employ a lot of people).

So much happened last night! Other shows would have dragged things out for at least a season. The fast clip has always been something I liked about Downton, but also something I dislike when it comes to wishing they had spent more time on something (like the wedding, or showing Sibyl's life in Dublin).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Debby70, I completely agree with you about Matthew's idiocy in not accepting the money. It makes as little sense as most of the choices he's made. Also agree abut Mary being the least likable sister, though she is an interesting character.

I'm hoping to see more verbal banter between Martha Levinson and Violet Crawley, and I like the idea of Martha's maid causing trouble for Thomas below stairs. I don't know for how many episodes Shirley Maclaine is contracted, but her character last name of Levinson leads me to believe she may be Jewish. There was a lot of anti-Semitism among the upper classes in England, so I wonder of that will come into play at all.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I don't know, I can understand Matthew's hesitation. Reggie Swire believed Matthew loved Lavinia and would be her husband after he (Reggie) died. That didn't happen and Matthew felt a lot of guilt and responsibility for Lavinia's death, whether it was misplaced or not, and he's now married to the Mary, who Lavinia saw him kissing when she and Matthew we're engaged. I think I'd have a hard time accepting the money under those circumstances too.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't know, I can understand Matthew's hesitation. Reggie Swire believed Matthew loved Lavinia and would be her husband after he (Reggie) died. That didn't happen and Matthew felt a lot of guilt and responsibility for Lavinia's death, whether it was misplaced or not, and he's now married to the Mary, who Lavinia saw him kissing when she and Matthew we're engaged. I think I'd have a hard time accepting the money under those circumstances too.
    I think I'd be able to accept the money if all this happened today, but I think part of Downton Abbey's job is showing us how things like honor, integrity and nobility (or at least these characters' ideas of them) really meant something back then. When someone made such an abstractly noble gesture, people understood it completely, even if some didn't agree with how far Matthew was carrying his guilt.
    Mike'sgirl, Critical and mindy384 like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

Mr. Selfridge

For my fellow Downton Abby, period drama addicts. You will LOVE this!! Check it out when it airs in your area.

Centers on the real-life story of the flamboyant and visionary American founder of Selfridge's, London's department store.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

CCL

Re: Mr. Selfridge

Supposed to start on PBS March 31st. Jeremy Piven is the lead and I don't really care for him so here's hoping the supporting cast is strong.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Question: Why doesn't Downton Abbey have it's own category? It's hard to find under Masterpiece Theater! Loved this episode, and the best line of the night was when Violet Crawley looked at Lord Grantham and said "I thought you were the butler" when she tried to order a drink from him!
    Mike'sgirl and PGM35 like this.

+ Reply to Thread