+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 135 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree704Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Re: Masterpiece Theater

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3812816;
    If you missed it, you can watch the first episode on the PBS site. Masterpiece | PBS Video

I'm really glad PBS is jumping in on the trend of allowing video on their website.
    Thank you for posting this link! I stumbled across the second episode of Emma last week and have been looking for a place online to see watch what I missed.

I always forget how much I love Masterpiece Theatre until I catch an episode.

Did anyone see last week's The Diary of Anne Frank? I don't know that I actually took the movie in, I was so busy crying, but I had to watch it at least once.

I did love Felicity Jones as Margot and Tamsin Greig as Mrs. Frank; their relationships to Anne were very well done. It was an interesting move to show Anne as more of the peevish teenager, sort of closer to the way Anne described herself in the diary than Millie Perkins in the 1950s version, but I think they might've gone a little overboard about it.

I have Small Island on the DVR now. I've been looking forward to that one for a while; can't wait to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister;3880034;
    Did anyone see last week's The Diary of Anne Frank? I don't know that I actually took the movie in, I was so busy crying, but I had to watch it at least once.

I did love Felicity Jones as Margot and Tamsin Greig as Mrs. Frank; their relationships to Anne were very well done. It was an interesting move to show Anne as more of the peevish teenager, sort of closer to the way Anne described herself in the diary than Millie Perkins in the 1950s version, but I think they might've gone a little overboard about it.

I have Small Island on the DVR now. I've been looking forward to that one for a while; can't wait to watch it.
    I just couldn't b ring myself to watch it, MS. I knew I'd be bawling through the whole thing.

Thanks for the reminder about Small Island! It's starts in a few minutes and I would have forgotten all about it
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm out of town still, but I will catch Anne Frank when I return (on my DVR) and Small Island as well! Can't wait!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I watched Anne Frank because the book has always been dear to me in a strange way (we read it in school when I was her age), and honestly because nothing else was on. I often let MT go by on the tivo list before watching.

Glad I did. It's the best adaptation I've seen. She seems like an actual, flesh and blood teenager in this one, which makes the ending rip your heart out. I won't say more since some haven't seen it.

Has everyone read up about what happened to them all after being captured?

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Anne Frank was very well done. I participated in a presentation on the book in an honors class on existential heroes and heroines in college, and became quite impressed with Anne.

The MP Theatre version was really good. Characterizations and casting were top-notch. The real-life "Miep" just passed away this year, as I recall. Someday, I hope to get to Amsterdam to visit the Frank museum.

How blessed we are that we haven't had to face this type of persecution.

Yes, wasn't Miep 100 or very close to that?

ITA, I cannot even imagine things being that way - and it sounds as if it hit everyone in Denmark in various ways. People were starving so badly, they began stealing, just to get food. I still wonder who 'sold them out' and was it for something so mundane as something more to eat? I learned some things that I don't recall being included in other versions from her diaries.

It also hit home how long they were all trapped in there - and to think, many had it even worse. Some survived the war in nothing more than a pit underground. Awful. And the Nazis at the end, businesslike and smiling.

Imagine what a writer Anne would've been (and was, of course, but still.) She wasn't afraid to be truthful - Mrs. van Daan is never likeable. But she's human.

I finally watched part one of Small Island. Loving it so far. I meant to read the book before the series launched, but now I'm definitely putting it on the summer list.

I like that the characters each have believable flaws. Hortense -- I know if I knew her in real life I couldn't stand her, but she is so interesting to watch. They all are. I can't wait to see what happens when they all meet up in London. And I really, really wonder if Michael will come back.

Foyle's War begins this Sunday, May 2nd!
    I never thought that a mystery series set during WWII would have any interest to me..... ever!
    When a friend invited me to watch the first two episodes once, I squirmed and tried every excuse I could to get out of it. But, when I could no longer "put it off", I was surprised to discover how much I enjoyed the very likable characters in this series. I love the way Inspector Foyle (Michael Kitchen) unfolds the mystery, but also love and respect his character;....... Sam, really what is not to love about Honeysuckle Weeks, and the fact that Sargent Paul Milner (Anthony Howell) has finally been promoted to Inspector, makes me anxious to learn how he is progressing.
    I am now a big fan of Foyle's War, and look forward to the Sunday premiere of this warm, witty and engaging mystery series.
    If you miss any of these episodes, as usual PBS will make them available to watch online for free for a limited time.

I sound like a commercial, but if you are not a big fan already, why not give it a try.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Is this a new season of Foyle's War, Mike'sgirl? I rented all the episodes that were available from Netflix about a year ago.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread