+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 140 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334353637383979129 ... LastLast
Like Tree876Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Let's be clear about what constitutes a spoiler -- a spoiler is plot information leaked in advance. If someone posts a story on a news site about the upcoming season and mentions contract negotiations and whether or not an actor might leave -- that isn't a spoiler. That's public information. If you don't want to know things like that, then you would need to avoid the internet in general until season 3 is over.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

It's particularly tough to keep casting news out of the discussion since the show airs in the UK so far ahead of when it airs here AND because those things are reported not just on entertainment sites, but on sites like CNN.com and HuffPo.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Personally, I have no problem with public information. That is fair game. I have a friend who just loves to try to tell me story-related goodies. It's like she knows the next chapter, and she is bragging that she knows and wants you to know, too. I just don't get "the giggles and satisfaction" in that, even though she knows I don't want to know. You can see the disappointment on her face when I stop her. On this board, I've noticed that some people like to put spoiler tags around their opinions/guesses, which makes no sense to me. Maybe they just like playing with that feature?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yes, spoiler tags probably get used more than they need to at times (I've been guilty of that myself), but it's nice to think people err on the side of being considerate more than not.

And mods can always remove the tags if they're not needed.
    prhoshay and Imperfect1 like this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Saw the S3 Christmas special last night -- I'm running out of places to talk about it!
    Click to see Spoiler:
    They set up Dan Steven's exit from the show, which is officail according to news stories all over the net today. I think this will end up being good news for Allen Leech, who plays Tom Branson. His character had a lot of good screentime last night, and I would bet he'll be a more central figure next year.

Other than Matthew's tragic exit, it was good news and warm moments all around for the rest of the family and staff. They pack up and visit "Cousin Shrimpy" in Scotland, and they become more grateful for what they have after seeing how miserable life is for Shrimpy and his wife, and daughter Rose (who has already appeared in the last couple of eps in S3, and will apparently become a regular in S4).

Mrs. Patmore had a funny story about a male suitor, Edith's relationship with her publisher grows deeper and more complicated, and Thomas can't help getting his ass kicked again. But it leads to an interesting scene between him and James... O'Brien has some non-villainous screentime, and surpise! Mosely gets drunk again.

As for Tom, he stays behind with the baby at Downton Abbey, and is faced with running the house, and being fully catered to by his former friends on staff. He grapples with how he has changed since becoming a member of the Crawley family. Also, there's yet another new maid looking to suck face with a Crawley. Luckily this one dooesn't last as long as Ethel or Jane -- that story has been done to death.

But overall, I was glued to the screen from start to finish. Can't wait for the S3 Blu-Ray to be released...
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Since this has already been posted on this thread multiple times, I guess it's not a spoiler. I'm quite disappointed that Dan Stevens isn't returning after season 3. When I read articles about his decision to leave, I just laugh a little. He really does think highly of himself. He's an okay actor, but his decision to leave that show? It's his business, but it sounds like a silly boy IMO. Time will tell. It brings to mind those super successful American tv actors who left when they got too big for their pants. Later as they sat waiting for their phone to ring, I wonder how silly they felt. Yes, I know Dan is on Broadway. I wish him good luck with that.

Here's a detailed article about it. WARNING SPOILIERS SPOILERS SPOILERS for Season 3.
    Dan Stevens: Why I left Downton Abbey - Telegraph

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I've read the spoilers. Can't wait for my DVDs to arrive (January) so I can watch Season 3!!!!

CCL

I spoiled myself but haven't seen any S3 yet.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I'm more sad at Sibyl's death than Matthew's. I guess they now have an heir in the family though so "all's well that ends well" in that respect. Though, seriously, other Downton people should gravely consider before having children because the possibility of dying immediately afterwards is very real.

Agree with everyone regarding Dan Stevens. It's not like he was on a soap where they work fifty weeks a year or whatever and would never have any other opportunities.

Call the Midwife holiday special is on next Sunday on PBS.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Call the Midwife holiday special is on next Sunday on PBS.
    Thanks CCL, for letting us know about the Call the Midwife holiday special. I didn't know if I was going to enjoy the series before it started, but once into it, I really liked it very much.

CCL

I go back and forth on Nurse Jenny. She is quite judgmental which is understandable I guess, coming from a well-off upbringing and being thrown into post-war East End London (mind you, Chummy comes from an even more drastically different background and I've never found her judgmental). But then she -Jenny- gets all mad whenever anyone makes a judging comment about something she was judging twenty minutes earlier. I want to introduce her to a kettle. Don't even get me started on her mooning over her married lover who, from what little we've seen of him, seems utterly charmless.

But I'd watch any day of the week just for Chummy. She's the best. Her romance with the police officer has been just lovely.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread