+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 149 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878128 ... LastLast
Like Tree802Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: PBS Downton Abbey Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Here's something else I didn't know, from the article above:
    Click to see Spoiler:

Sybil got killed off because the actress wanted to leave. Hmph! Can't these people realize a good thing when they have it?
    You probably missed my post further up this thread which explained why. Post #243, the actors are all very popular in the US, and everyone wants them. (sigh) I love happy endings and hate when they leave me empty.
    I would actually prefer they get another actor to play a part, then to write a character out of a series.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Looking beyond season 3 of Downton to season 4...
    'Downton Abbey': PBS Considers Airing Season 4 Closer To U.K. Air Date

Posted: 12/06/2012 10:14 am EST

The third season of "Downton Abbey" is premiering on PBS next month, and the network's executives are already looking ahead to the series' fourth season will hit the airwaves stateside.

“The audiences for 'Downton' have been terrific,” senior VP and PBS’ chief programming executive John Wilson noted in an interview with THR. “So you can’t say that [airing months earlier in the UK] has knocked the legs out from underneath 'Downton Abbey.' On the other hand, we can’t know how much more terrific it might have been had it aired closer to the UK premiere.”

Wilson added that the network is assessing the possibility of airing Season 4 of "Downton Abbey" closer to the UK premiere date. Though that would make US fans happy, one thing about Season 4 is still upsetting: Dan Stevens' decision to duck out of the series.

Stevens, who plays Lady Mary's (Michelle Dockery) love interest Matthew Crawley, will reportedly only appear in the first episode of the "Downton's" fourth season. And according to series creator Julian Fellowes, his role won't be recast.

“Sometimes actors feel they want to move on. Initially, for the first two or three [seasons] you can contract them, but after that, every season, you have to re-contract them,” Fellowes told EW. "If they don’t want to come back, there’s nothing we can do.”

Season 3 of "Downton Abbey" will premiere on Sunday, January 6 on PBS.
    This would be a smart move. They know that there are too many ways for US viewers to get their hands on new episodes as they are airing in the UK, which could chip away from the ratings when they finally air officially in the US.

Oh, and a memo to Dan Stevens: I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself here in New York, performing in The Heiress. We're enjoying having you, and the show is great.

Now get your butt back to Downton, you fool! What is it, a couple of months' filming? What incredible things will you miss in that short span of time? Go back to the show that gave you all this opportunity and honor it. (End rant)
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Looking beyond season 3 of Downton to season 4...

This would be a smart move. They know that there are too many ways for US viewers to get their hands on new episodes as they are airing in the UK, which could chip away from the ratings when they finally air officially in the US.

Oh, and a memo to Dan Stevens: I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself here in New York, performing in The Heiress. We're enjoying having you, and the show is great.

Now get your butt back to Downton, you fool! What is it, a couple of months' filming? What incredible things will you miss in that short span of time? Go back to the show that gave you all this opportunity and honor it. (End rant)
    That's my problem with it. This show doesn't do 22 episodes per season or anything. I'll bet it's maybe 2-3 months of filming, tops. Since it's TV, the shooting schedule is probably shorter than for a film. It's not a HUGE time commitment like US broadcast network dramas.

Any time young actors decide to leave their wildly successful TV show and capitalize on that popularity, I want to direct them to the first season of NYPD Blue and David Caruso's career.....and he wasn't part of a wildly popular couple when he left that show.

I like Dan Stevens, but I can't see how he'll become a big star outside of that show
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

He does theater too, and now that he's on Broadway, he fell in love with the place and wants to move his family here and keep looking for stage work (and I assume some local TV guest shots when he's going hungry).

CBS Sunday Morning had a wonderful piece on the filming of Season 3 with updates on some of the actors. It is posted with a SPOILER ALERT.

Behind the scenes at "Downton Abbey" - CBS News
    Last edited by Arielflies; 12-09-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    Debb70 likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I'm new to the show. I'm getting up with the marathons. I've been DVRing all day. I just love this show!

I just loved the feature of them today on the CBS Morning Show.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    CBS Sunday Morning had a wonderful piece on the filming of Season 3 with updates on some of the actors. It is posted with a SPOILER ALERT.

Thanks for the link. I got more out of this than I did from that lame recap show with Angela Lansbury on PBS. Plus, no pledge breaks!

Since I already watched season 3 (except for the Christmas special, of course), I'm geared up for season 4. I'll watch season 3 when it airs on PBS, but I've really begun the countdown to season 4.

I'll be happy when everyone here has seen season 3 so I can discuss it!
    momrek06 and MFWalkoff like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post

Thanks so much for putting this into a Spoiler Alert, Arielflies. I just wish the PBS article posted above had been put into a Spoiler Alert because I am so sorry to prematurely learn that Matthew is leaving the series. Please guys, there are so many of us who really don't wish to know this kind of information in advance. Please respect that, and put any storyline or casting information into a spoiler. Thanks so much for doing so.
    prhoshay likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You are my (s)hero! I have never understood people who just insist on telling people what they tell them they don't want to know. Somebody explain that to me....pretty please!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread