+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 149 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676126 ... LastLast
Like Tree802Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    OK, I'm confused. Why isn't anyone talking about Series 2 of Upstairs Downstairs which is now on Episode 3 and is FABULOUS!!!!!!
    The trouble with some Masterpiece shows is that they air in the UK months before they do in the US, and there are ways for impatient Americans to get their hands on new episodes even if they aren't *ahem* officially available yet. So for some, it's old news when the shows finally air on PBS.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    The trouble with some Masterpiece shows is that they air in the UK months before they do in the US, and there are ways for impatient Americans to get their hands on new episodes even if they aren't *ahem* officially available yet. So for some, it's old news when the shows finally air on PBS.
    Yes, that's true. Thanks MFWalkoff. But whether you guys have already seen this 2nd series of Upstairs Downstairs, or are just watching it now, I just wanted to comment that although it is quite different from the original, it does have it's own character and it's own appeal. And I'm loving that they are taking it into the early 1940s, and dealing head-on with the German/Hitler atrocities and how the English and Americans were dealing with them. It's very, very moving and touching and heart-rendering, and I think a wonderful depiction of a part of history rarely seen from the British upper-crust point of view! And I'm especially enjoying the fact that they are depicting some real life personages (like a very young John Kennedy and his father, Ambassador Joseph Kennedy, not to mention Wallace Simpson, the King of England and the King's younger brother who would soon become King). Very well done!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Rewatched Episode 1 of Downton Abbey last night (OF COURSE). A question popped up that I hadn't wondered about before.

Mary and the Duke went wandering around the servant quarters "exploring" (because the Duke wanted to find the letters he had written to Thomas). The only person that I can recall who saw them was Bates . . . who, one would think, would NEVER reveal that he had seen them. All of a sudden at dinner, Lady Edith mentions that they were snooping around in the servant quarters.

How did she know? Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Rewatched Episode 1 of Downton Abbey last night (OF COURSE). A question popped up that I hadn't wondered about before.

Mary and the Duke went wandering around the servant quarters "exploring" (because the Duke wanted to find the letters he had written to Thomas). The only person that I can recall who saw them was Bates . . . who, one would think, would NEVER reveal that he had seen them. All of a sudden at dinner, Lady Edith mentions that they were snooping around in the servant quarters.

How did she know? Did I miss something?
    Good question -- it's not something they explain. Maybe Edith spotted them heading toward the attic, although we weren't shown this. I guess her real motivation for bringing it up at dinner was to embarrass Mary, in case they had gone up there to fool around (although she didn't know for sure what they did up there).
    AZChristian likes this.

Well that's it for season 3 of Downton (in the UK) -- but there will be a special Christmas episode, just like last year. And then the whole thing runs on PBS early next year so we can all talk about it!

Click to see Spoiler:
    "Lady Grantham's soap."

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Well that's it for season 3 of Downton (in the UK) -- but there will be a special Christmas episode, just like last year. And then the whole thing runs on PBS early next year so we can all talk about it!

Click to see Spoiler:
    "Lady Grantham's soap."
    I love how those three little words became a threat that stopped that character in his/her tracks!

Looking forward to the Christmas special next month, although I think it might be more like a stand-alone episode than last year's.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Since pretty much all of the major storylines were wrapped up, I think this year's episode will feel more like a lead-in to next season. Maybe they'll leave us with some teasers for season 4.

I can't believe that the show can still make me feel sorry for Thomas after all the terrible things he does to people. I really had to remind myself that Carson's ideas about homosexuality were very common back then and I tried to NOT let them affect how much I really do love that character. I had to laugh at his horror over anyone thinking he could possibly be a liberal. As if anyone would think that!

I liked that so many people countered Carson's homophobia by saying that they already knew Thomas was gay. I was also happy that Robert treated him as well as he did. Bates is kicking himself that his attempt to be kind resulted in Thomas being his superior, but Bates wouldn't be Bates if he stood by and let Thomas be tossed into the street without even a reference. I'm sure Bates will regret his kindness even more next season! I love seeing Bates and Anna just being a normal couple together. So nice after all the prison drama.

I don't want Edith to end up a lonely spinster, but I also don't want her to end up with that editor if it's going to be a "Mr. Rochester with a crazy wife he can't get rid of" scenario. She deserves better.

Happy that Ethel got a bit of a happy ending. She won't get Charlie back, but at least she can see him and be a part of his life.

I love that Robert is finally starting to appreciate Branson and see that he does have things to contribute to the running of Downton. Seeing him in his cricket whites was like a show of his transition to part of the family. Such a dramatic difference from season 1. I'm sure his brother would be horrified.

The only downside to watching all the Downton episodes early is that now I have even longer to wait for season 4 than most US viewers!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Nice observations!

I'm torn between watching the season over again, or waiting until January, when the UK Blu-Ray/DVD of season 3 comes out. Those are usually region-free, and the episodes are unedited, unlike the US/PBS discs. (I'm sure the US discs won't come out until after the season is done here)

I was so relieved to hear that Maggie Smith seems to be okay after her emergency visit to the hospital with chest pains.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Heard that Mrs. Obama's favorite show is Downton Abbey. She was needing to get a dose of it so badly that she got in touch with the people who made the show and they sent her an advanced copy of the season that is starting in January.....with the stipulation that she not talk to anybody about it!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Funny, although there are spoilers all over the place online since the show (save the Christmas episode) has already aired, so it's not like the season is a secret or anything!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread