+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 145 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474124 ... LastLast
Like Tree908Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Anyone going to watch the new series that starts tonight on PBS, Call the Midwife?
    Yes, I'm going to DVR it. There are just too many shows on tonight that I must see.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Thanks for the reminder, CCL! I had planned on watching, but I didn't realize it started tonight.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've already watched episode 1 of season 3 and have got episode 2 loading right now. I just can't wait until it's on PBS! So far, it's pretty great!
    I just watched episode 3 (shh) -- it's getting better week by week,
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I've got episode 3 loading right now. I agree - it's getting better and better! I just hope they can convince Maggie Smith to stay on for next season. How long could it really take to shoot this show anyway? It's not like she's tied up for months and months like on regular 22 episode series.

I'd really miss her quips if she left. Her line last week - "I'm sorry, I thought you were a waiter" - was pure awesome.
    MFWalkoff likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Don't know if this is the case nationally, but in the mid-west the last season of Upstairs/Downstairs 2 is being shown again, if anyone's interested. The first and second episodes are airing on PBS 'Masterpiece Classic' on Tues, middle of the night.

This is making the rounds on Facebook, from the Downton Abbey page. It's based on a line that Maggie Smith says in the third episode, but I don't think it gives away any spoilers:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Florimel and PGM35 like this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I love her. That was a great line. I REALLY want to talk about the episode, but I won't! As with pretty much every episode of DA, I reached for the Kleenex more than once!

I wasn't as thrilled with this week's DA. The writing didn't seem as sharp, even Gran's one-liners were a little flat.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The beginning of tension between Matthew and Lord Grantham over the running of Downton is being dragged out. Anna & John, yawn--that plot is just getting silly. We all know he'll be exonerated by the end of the season (which is only 4 or 5 more episodes). Also, why didn't Matthew or Murray make inquiries for Anna once she told Matthew that Bates hadn't written for ages? It's like the show is forgoing logic sometimes in order to milk the melodrama...

The most interesting story was Tom's fleeing from Ireland, if only because everyone in the house suddenly grew a pulse over it. Plus, Tom's nice to look at in a tank top and PJ bottoms... Which reminds me, hot new footman! Pity that it seems Tom will be barking up the wrong tree...

Ironically, the best-handled subplot was a story I don't even care about -- Ethel giving up her child. At least it was handled economically, although I hope this is the end of it. It's really a story that doesn't involve any of the main characters at this point, it just seems like a diversion.

Maybe I wasn't in the right mood when I watched it, I'll have to give it another try.

The electric toaster bit was funny, though, if a little lowbrow.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 10-09-2012 at 05:22 AM.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I wasn't as thrilled with this week's DA. The writing didn't seem as sharp, even Gran's one-liners were a little flat.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The beginning of tension between Matthew and Lord Grantham over the running of Downton is being dragged out. Anna & John, yawn--that plot is just getting silly. We all know he'll be exonerated by the end of the season (which is only 4 or 5 more episodes). Also, why didn't Matthew or Murray make inquiries for Anna once she told Matthew that Bates hadn't written for ages? It's like the show is forgoing logic sometimes in order to milk the melodrama...

The most interesting story was Tom's fleeing from Ireland, if only because everyone in the house suddenly grew a pulse over it. Plus, Tom's nice to look at in a tank top and PJ bottoms... Which reminds me, hot new footman! Pity that it seems Tom will be barking up the wrong tree...

Ironically, the best-handled subplot was a story I don't even care about -- Ethel giving up her child. At least it was handled economically, although I hope this is the end of it. It's really a story that doesn't involve any of the main characters at this point, it just seems like a diversion.

Maybe I wasn't in the right mood when I watched it, I'll have to give it another try.

The electric toaster bit was funny, though, if a little lowbrow.
    I think I'm easier to please than you are, MFW! ANY Downton is good Downton for me!

Click to see Spoiler:
    It was SO obvious when the new footman appeared that Thomas was finally going to be outed. I loved Mary's response to the decision, telling Carson to tell the maids to buy their Valentines. It'll be interesting to see if James turns out to be anything but a scam artist. He seems to me like someone who's gotten by on his looks and charm. He's never met Carson!

The thing with the toaster was hilarious. Especially Carson's reaction to it like it was the end of civilization. I adore him, but he's hopelessly old-fashioned.

As much as I like Tom, I kind of wanted to smack him. His FIL just saved his ass and he's already whining and wanting to go back to Ireland, even though he knows he'll be arrested immediately.

I'm ready for Bates to be out of prison. The longer he's in, the more chance there is that he'll kill his cellmate. I want him back at Downton going toe-to-toe with Thomas again. I did love that smile when he realized that Anna's letters were being kept from him. He's a darling man. I love that Brendan Coyle is a sex symbol now.

Poor Daisy. She just can't catch a break with men. She finally works up the nerve to tell Alfred how she feels and then the cute new kitchen maid shows up. Did we know that he's O'Brien's nephew before this? Maybe I missed it. It seemed like a bit of info we hadn't received before.

I'm not thrilled that they're setting it up to look like Lord Grantham is inept at managing Downton. I love Matthew, but I don't like that they're elevating him at the expense of his FIL. It makes him look like a bumbling aristocrat who can't do anything.

I hate that they're making me feel sorry for Edith!

Ethel wasn't my favorite character when she was working at Downton, but I'll admit to shedding a few tears last night when she was saying goodbye to Charlie.

Agreed about Daisy, I forgot about that. As I was watching her this week, it struck me that these characters have all supposedly aged 8 years since the first season, yet Daisy doesn't seem to have changed one bit, even after going through everything with William and his father. I'm looking forward to Anna or maybe the new kitchen maid giving her a makeover. She's way overdue!

And yeah, I was harsh on the episode, but I seek this show out and rabidly watch it like it was TV crack. You're right about any DA being good DA...

(and yes, I have the Blu-Rays of the first 2 seasons, I and watch them too)
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread