+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1662Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Acorn is a streaming subscription service focusing on British TV series. I can access it through my Roku, but didn't know you could get it through Prime....or did you mean with the Amazon Firestick, GG?
    Using Roku, I access my Amazon Prime Video (on the TV vs laptop). Then within Amazon, they have different channels. Acorn TV is one of them. In addition to Britsh shows, there are Australian and New Zealand shows. Very cool!
    Arielflies likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    I did see the PBS documentary about Victoria's children, and I was really surprised and horrified that she because such a horrible mother to them.

PS In answer to your question, tinderbox, according to Wikipedia, Victoria "inherited the throne aged 18, after her father's three elder brothers had all died, leaving no surviving legitimate children." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Victoria

It's complicated, but that's basically it. Victoria's father died when she was a little girl, and Victoria stood next in line since she was her father's only legitimate child. Her father and uncles lived with their mistresses and had a ton of illegitimate children between them, when suddenly the Princess of Wales died in childbirth. Since she had been the only legitimate royal child of the younger generation, there was a mad scramble for the King's brothers to get married and father the next heir. Victoria was the lucky winner of that birth lottery. Can you tell British royalty is my passion?

Victoria hated having kids and was more than happy to pass them off to the royal nannies when they arrived.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Now that Trump has decided to defund and destroy PBS, where will we find Masterpiece Theater series'??

And Then They Came for Big Bird: Public Broadcasting Reels From Trump
    Mike'sgirl and Imperfect1 like this.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Now that Trump has decided to defund and destroy PBS, where will we find Masterpiece Theater series'??

And Then They Came for Big Bird: Public Broadcasting Reels From Trump
    I was afraid this would happen. Hopefully, things will change where PBS is concerned. We have to remember this is just the beginning of the "negotiation" stage of Trump's budget plan, but I'm not going to hold my breath. America... What did you do?????

I don't want to get too political so I'll just end my thoughts there. I hope I didn't offend anyone. *sigh*

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

I used to donate to PBS, because I do love their shows. Then they made it s Canada could watch nothing online.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Why? What logic do they have for that Fanny? I don't know what I would do if I couldn't watch online. I miss so much half the time! Is there some entertainment law which prevents watching online in Canada? Hmmmmm, I know I would love to watch Miss Fisher in Australia if I could, but am blocked. But, Australia is a long ways away, Canada is right across the Detroit river for goodness sakes!
    When you canít control whatís happening, challenge yourself to control the way you respond to whatís happening. Thatís where your power is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl View Post
    Why? What logic do they have for that Fanny? I don't know what I would do if I couldn't watch online. I miss so much half the time! Is there some entertainment law which prevents watching online in Canada? Hmmmmm, I know I would love to watch Miss Fisher in Australia if I could, but am blocked. But, Australia is a long ways away, Canada is right across the Detroit river for goodness sakes!
    I don't know. I read their CEOs make huge money, maybe one of them decided...
    Mike'sgirl likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

It's the same kind of nonsense that has BBC productions airing months later in the US than they do in the UK. Those of us who are impatient just find the shows online anyway.

Speaking of which, did anyone else watch the new season of Call the Midwife? I know some people who dismiss it as a "nun show," but it's so much more than that. I'm always impressed with all of the really serious issues they tackle, like the Thalidomide storyline from last season. This new season was no exception and that season finale was one of the best! I'm so happy we're getting at least 3 more seasons! I know some posters here miss Chummy, but I don't. I liked her, but I'm enjoying the characters who ARE on the show. Miranda Hart had a successful career before the show and she's enjoying more success now. I'd be okay if she doesn't return. I thought I'd really miss Jenny too, but I really don't.
    Punkin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It's the same kind of nonsense that has BBC productions airing months later in the US than they do in the UK. Those of us who are impatient just find the shows online anyway.

Speaking of which, did anyone else watch the new season of Call the Midwife? I know some people who dismiss it as a "nun show," but it's so much more than that. I'm always impressed with all of the really serious issues they tackle, like the Thalidomide storyline from last season. This new season was no exception and that season finale was one of the best! I'm so happy we're getting at least 3 more seasons! I know some posters here miss Chummy, but I don't. I liked her, but I'm enjoying the characters who ARE on the show. Miranda Hart had a successful career before the show and she's enjoying more success now. I'd be okay if she doesn't return. I thought I'd really miss Jenny too, but I really don't.
    Did you see the new season in the UK or the US? I'll be upset if I missed an entire "new" season (I'm in the US). I love this show and will admit to missing Chummy and Jenny.

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    Did you see the new season in the UK or the US? I'll be upset if I missed an entire "new" season (I'm in the US). I love this show and will admit to missing Chummy and Jenny.
    It hasn't aired yet in the US or Canada. I love Chummy. I don't miss Jenny that much.
    Mike'sgirl likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread