+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 145 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree908Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Masterpiece Theater

I caught a bit of Masterpiece Theater, NOT Austin, last night... something set in the WWII era with Skitch (sp.?) from Jericho and the star of Felicity. She was an unwed pregnant woman married off to a farmer in the back of beyond... Was sorry I didn't see more of it.

Hibernating

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3813513;
    I caught a bit of Masterpiece Theater, NOT Austin, last night... something set in the WWII era with Skitch (sp.?) from Jericho and the star of Felicity. She was an unwed pregnant woman married off to a farmer in the back of beyond... Was sorry I didn't see more of it.
    That sounds like "The Magic of Ordinary Days." It is a good movie. You can find it on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2Lurk;3813426;
    I actually liked this latest adaptation of Emma the best. I recently watched the entire miniseries and thought it was very well done. ( I love Johnny Lee Miller ) I liked the '96 miniseries too, but not quite as much as the latest. I was not a big fan of the movie with Gwyneth Paltrow.
    I watched this through alternative means last fall, and even though I like all the versions I've seen, I think this one is my favorite too. If we're not counting Clueless, I mean. The Gwyneth one is too sunny, and I agree with Crit that it is like a Cliffs Notes version. And the Kate Beckinsale/Mark Strong version is just too dour for me, especially Mark Strong as Mr. Knightley. I watch that one and can hardly tell that Emma is a comedy. But this one I think gets the tone just right.

Jonny Lee Miller is one of the two reasons I own the wretched feature film version of Mansfield Park (the other reason is Embeth Davidtz), so I think it's safe to say that I love him in anything. Romola Garai I had never seen. I didn't like her Emma at first, and I think at the beginning of each episode I kind of have to get used to her, but by the end I really do enjoy her too. They and the guy playing Mr. Elton each do a fantastic job.

Some of the other characterizations are really off to me (Harriet's one step away from brain-dead, Jane Fairfax is too peevish, Mrs. Weston is too young, and Mr. Woodhouse is too ornery. And Miss Bates is too sad. Did I say some of the characterizations? ). But I must be looking past that since I have so much general good will for this version.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Yes, some Jane Austen is better than none at all, but I hope this one isn't quite as bad as the new versions of Persuasion and Mansfield Park that BBC did last year.
    Those were actually ITV productions, which explains why they were so shoddy. And awful. I don't think the Beeb would ever try to squeeze an Austen novel into 90 minutes, thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister;3816019;
    Those were actually ITV productions, which explains why they were so shoddy. And awful. I don't think the Beeb would ever try to squeeze an Austen novel into 90 minutes, thank goodness.
    Thanks for the clarification on that, MS. That explains it. I couldn't believe that BBC would do something so horrid.

I'll admit to loving the Jonny Lee Miller Mansfield Park, even though it's not really MP. It's one of my favorite Austens, so I should hate that movie, but there's just something about it that I really liked: "It could have all turned out differently.....but it didn't." Plus, you know, James Purefoy

Definitely check out I Capture the Castle with Romola Garai (along with Rose Byrne and the fabulous Bill Nighy). It's one of my favorite books, so I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I finally caught it this week and was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting a whole lot. I will be bummed out when masterpiece classics is done and it's back to their other genre's for the year.

I still have not had a chance to view what has been recorded yet on my DVR (Emma), but I do look forward to "Foyle's War" return later in the year. I know that they were filming new episodes of that as of May and June 2009, but no idea how long it will be for it to translate to Masterpiece Theater, only that it is included in the 2010 schedule. (A friend got me hooked on that series, and I surprised myself by just loving it!)

I plan to catch up on Emma this weekend! I enjoyed the sneak peak I viewed before it aired, and am a big Jonny Lee Miller fan!!!!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3817049;
    Thanks for the clarification on that, MS. That explains it. I couldn't believe that BBC would do something so horrid.

I'll admit to loving the Jonny Lee Miller Mansfield Park, even though it's not really MP. It's one of my favorite Austens, so I should hate that movie, but there's just something about it that I really liked: "It could have all turned out differently.....but it didn't." Plus, you know, James Purefoy

Definitely check out I Capture the Castle with Romola Garai (along with Rose Byrne and the fabulous Bill Nighy). It's one of my favorite books, so I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie.
    I've been meaning forever to see I Capture the Castle since I love that book. Now that I know Bill Nighy is in it, I'm going to get it as soon as I can.

And even though I am harsh on it and its many flaws, I know what you mean about the MP film. It does have a quality about it, and a James Purefoy about it. (Although, blink and you miss him!) But I'm still holding out hope for a really good and faithful adaptation of it. MP is one of my favorite Austens too.

I just finished watching the third episode of Emma and very much enjoyed. I was delighted in the performances of Jonny Lee Miller and Romola Garai (I have read and enjoyed I Capture the Castle, but have never seen the movie version, unfortunately!).

I could be mistaken, but it looks to me as if they will next air the 2007 version of Northhanger Abbey, which is the better of the two (1986) versions. IMO
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Masterpiece Mystery series will begin in May! I love the PBS mystery series, and look forward to the return of Foyle's War, Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, and Inspector Lewis.
    Here is a sneak peak, and the link to the PBS schedule.
    Masterpiece | Mystery! | PBS
    Christopher Reeve

Mike'sgirl: I love the Masterpiece Mystery series, always have. A good portion of my Netflix list consists of British mystery series. Thanks for the heads up.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread