+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 145 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118 ... LastLast
Like Tree908Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

CCL

Re: Masterpiece Theater

BBC's Sherlock - is Moriarty supposed to be American? His accent veers so much, sometimes American-sounding, sometimes Irish, other times English...it's confusing.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I'm not sure what nationality Moriarty is supposed to be, but Andrew Scott is Irish, but has lived in London for a number of years. Maybe that's the "mix" you're hearing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm not sure what nationality Moriarty is supposed to be, but Andrew Scott is Irish, but has lived in London for a number of years. Maybe that's the "mix" you're hearing.
    In the original story, Moriarty was English like Holmes. It's interesting that you mention accents. When I was in college, I was friends with a student whose family was Irish, but who had been raised in England. He had the prettiest accent I ever heard; I could have listened to him all day.

That also reminds me. When I was in high school, I was in our school's production of "Hound of the Baskervilles". I remember our director telling the cast that there was nothing she hated more than people acting in a foreign play without doing the accent, therefore we would have to learn to speak with an English accent. The veterans in the cast told us newbies that if we needed help, go home and watch those English mystery/history shows on PBS. I took their advice and not only gained an accent, but a life-long love of English TV.
    Florimel and Poppy Fields like this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

CCL

It sounds like he is going for an American accent but it slips frequently into English or Irish. I was just wondering if others were having the same issue (with it being distracting to the point of drawing out one from the story). I don't remember it being an issue in season one but very much so in season 2. But I didn't know if it was just me.

Aaaaack!!! Did I miss the first epi of season 2 Sherlock??? Nooooo! I thought it didn't start until like April or May! I was being so good and not watching on-line because I was going to wait and see it on the big TV screen Looks like I'll have to catch it on line after all and make I sure DVR for the rest of the season.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

You didn't miss it. It doesn't premiere until May 6th. It's been available online on various sites since it aired in the UK at the beginning of the year
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Whew!! Thanks I knew it was on line....I was just afraid since it was being discussed now I missed the TV premier. Glad to know I didn't!
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

CCL

It was airing on BBC Canada in February. I missed the first one but caught the last two.

So are you all saying SEASON 2 is available online? Where would I find it? Is it on NETFLIX?

Thanks in advance!
    KAREN

CCL

I believe Critical means it is available online through "other means"...as it hasn't aired in the US already I would think it is not available on Netflix (though I don't have Netflix so I guess you'd have to double-check).

+ Reply to Thread