+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 149 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666116 ... LastLast
Like Tree802Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Masterpiece Theater

Okay - I stand corrected on the swift progression of the disease. But I agree with those who thought it was a little corny and/or melodramatic. And Downton Abbey is STILL my favorite current show.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I thought the Jane/Robert thing was one of the few criticisms I have of anything I've seen on Downton Abbey. I didn't like how he became a petulant child about not having Cora's full attention and adoration, so he went off and started snogging one of the maids . . . and talking to her in ways he never did with anyone else. I'm glad their relationship ended when and as it did - unconsummated. The irony of him nearly disowning Sybil for having a relationship with the chauffeur when he was so close to an affair with a maid was just a sour note for me.
    The difference being he wasn't going to tell the world about his dalliance with the maid. He seemed rather depressed and lost this episode so I think his mindset played a part. But I didn't like it one whit. Because Cora and Grantham are the one true pair...

Yay for the Sybil and Branson storyline. I hope they're in the finale. And I loved how the granny was trying to attach him to an important Irish family.

I surmised that Matthew would walk again though I did like how it came about. Though everyone else found it cheesy. I had read that Lavinia died (that's what you get for reading the British press) so I wasn't surprised at that. Now we just have to get rid of Richard.

So we did end up with a wedding. How strange it was to see Bates and Anna in bed. They looked so
    modern, half-naked and her with her hair down.

Man, I rather felt sorry for Thomas this season...with his palpable fear in the war and then his business
    going down because he was hoodwinked. I did rather like how he wormed his way back into Downton. Last season I disliked both him and O'Brien but this season they've shown more shade to their personalities.

Does anyone find that the scenes seem to be really short at times?

On to next week!
    Last edited by CCL; 02-15-2012 at 11:02 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I am thinking of buying Season 1 and 2 of Downton Abbey. I have looked at both the PBS site and Amazon. Do those of you who have purchased the two seasons recommend the UK version over the US PBS version? If so, one of the warnings on the
    PBS site for the UK version was that Season 2 didn't have the Christmas episode in it. I haven't seen it yet, but want to be
    sure that what I buy contains it. Any recommendations?

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I got mine from Amazon. I'm looking at the case for Season 2 right now. It has PBS at the top, and "Original UK Edition" on the front as well. I've watched the Christmas episode on it twice already.

I don't even know if they are selling the edited PBS version. If they are, make sure you get the UK edition. The listing on PBS says there are 9 episodes on the DVD, so it does include the Christmas special. The description even specifies that it's included.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Great, thanks for your suggestions. The double set from Amazon did not include the Christmas episode, so I will be sure to
    order the UK version.

If you look at the comments in the Amazon listing, someone corrected their information. The UK version on Amazon is the same product as on the PBS site. They're both 544 minutes on 3 discs.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

CCL

Was a bit disappointed in the finale for two reasons: I thought Bates would get out (yes, I know that they have to have a drama going into the next season, but still) and no Sibyl (not even little scenes of her in Ireland). I guess that's true to the show in that they never show Mary when she is away from Downton in London. But you know if she had ended up going to America they would have followed her there so....
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I was trying to figure out why PBS listed the Christmas special as 2 hours long. I'm glad they showed the behind-the-scenes special and showed it after. It was fun to see it again.

Even though I've watched it several more times than I'm willing to admit, I still weeped my way through the show tonight.

Nice interview with Julian Fellowes in the NY Times:
    Julian Fellowes Overcomes His Scruples and Looks Back at Season 2 of 'Downton Abbey' - NYTimes.com

CCL - I was hoping that Bates would get out of jail too, but I guess they do need to leave something for next season. If it was too easy, it wouldn't be realistic. For now, it was enough that he isn't going to hang. He definitely needs to get out and come back to Downton to displace Thomas from his new valet position!

I think that something will have to happen next season for Sybil and Branson to come back to Downton. At least I hope so. I really like her and he's grown on me too. I did miss them in the finale.

I thought the edit in this episode was really obvious. The UK version had more of the tree decorating at the beginning and the PBS version practically started right with the Crowleys giving the staff their Christmas gifts.

My favorite Violet line was when Sir Richard told her that she would never see him again and she asked, "Is that a promise?" That and "Life is a game in which the player must look ridiculous."

Even though I've already seen it, I'm looking forward to The Old Curiosity Shop with Derek Jacobi next week! It's just about the only Dickens novel I've ever read for enjoyment and finished. We read it in my book club a number of years ago and were all surprised at how much we enjoyed it.

+ Reply to Thread