+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1098Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I thought it was cancelled Florimel.
    Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I had not seen anything one way or the other. That's too bad.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

It was cancelled to make room for "new dramas". I don't know why, but BBC thought viewership was not as high as some of the other shows they have produced. But, at least the way they ended was very satisfying (for me at least). Add that to my list of missed shows!
    Punkin and Florimel like this.
    Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius.
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Yes, they ended it very nicely.
    Punkin and Mike'sgirl like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Really, unless it's something like Doctor Who or Eastenders, most British series have much shorter runs than US shows. Shorter seasons or series and fewer of them. It's probably why the quality is so high.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Coronation Street has been on for years, started in the 60's, I cant believe its so good, and still on. We never miss it.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Foyle's War, 9 seasons, Lovejoy, 5 seasons. Midsomer Murders, 16 seasons, Herceule Poirot, 13 season, and a lot of other that have been or were around for a significant number of seasons. They do have shorter mostly seasons, it true.
    Mike'sgirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Foyle's War, 9 seasons, Lovejoy, 5 seasons. Midsomer Murders, 16 seasons, Herceule Poirot, 13 season, and a lot of other that have been or were around for a significant number of seasons. They do have shorter mostly seasons, it true.
    MUCH shorter seasons. Foyle's War has had 28 episodes in 9 seasons. That's not even two full seasons on American broadcast TV and less than three on most cable networks.

If you browse the selections on Acorn TV, you'll probably see dozens of short-lived shows. The long-running shows mentioned are the exception. Now, long-running shows on American TV are the exception too, but broadcast networks air between 18 and 24 episodes per season, not 3-10, which is usually how many episodes most British shows get. Even with a show that only gets one season here, there can still be more episodes that British series than run for a few years.

While I'd love to see more episodes of my favorite shows, I'd rather the quality be good. This past season of Foyle's War was pretty great, but after so many years, I can understand why they wouldn't want to continue.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I do browse Acorn TV. In fact, it's probably the one I watch most often. There are shows I'm going back to that I haven't watch in several years and I find they just as entertaining now. As I'm watching fewer and fewer reality tv shows every year, I have to fill my tv quota with something.

I just found one that I think may be in its second season which has me LOL. It a pseudo quiz show hosted by Stephen Fry with the "contestants" British comedians. It's called QI. You'e ben watching Acorn a lot longer than I, Critical so you may know of several shows I haven't found yet.

CCL

QI has been around for a lot longer than two seasons -it has been on for over a decade! They have a lot of past episodes on youtube.

Anyhow, to get back on the topic of Masterpiece -are we supposed to be sympathetic to Sidney's non-girlfriend in Grantchester? I just want her to go away. Loving the new assistant curate however.
    Mike'sgirl likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I can't stand Amanda. She either needs to leave Sidney alone and let him heal or break it off with Guy, defy her father, and elope with Sidney. I do't think it's fair of her character to keep stringing him along emotionally, so to speak.
    I love the series, but I can't help to think that it's strange that in such a small village there's a new murder every week that is somehow connected to Sidney's parish.
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread