+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 156 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565115 ... LastLast
Like Tree846Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Masterpiece Theater

Ahh, thanks, Critical! I have to say that I loved all the characters - even the evil Vera Bates. The last role I saw Maria Doyle Kennedy she was Katerine of Aragon on The Tudors. I kinda think Bates did kill her. If I were on that jury, that would have been my vote.

I hear that series 3 goes into production next month.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I don't think anyone at Downton - including Bates - had anything to do with Vera's death. I think that she either committed suicide because she knew she didn't have power over Bates anymore while she was alive and felt she had nothing else to live for, so she killed herself in a way that would place suspicion on him. OR, she was still involved with another man, who was part of the plan to get more money out of Bates, and when she was unsuccessful, he killed her. It's just too obvious to have Bates be the killer.

Bates has always been the noble hero of the piece. I doubt Julian Fellowes would turn him into a murderer. I'm sure they had a devastating fight, she attacked him and scratched his face and then he left. I guess we'll find out eventually....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Here's an idea: (Spoiler for those who haven't seen the Christmas episode yet).

Click to see Spoiler:
    Vera knew about Mary and Pamuk (sp?) and had accepted money from Richard to keep her mouth shut. She possibly went through that money . . . and was shown dead BEFORE Mary dumped Richard. Maybe Richard had her killed because she went back to him for more money, and at that point he knew the only way to protect Mary's reputation (and therefore his own) was to have her killed. Could be!

That possibility did cross my mind. That character is definitely ruthless. I just don't know if that person would be willing to risk their own freedom to protect someone else.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Haven't seen the Christmas episode, but looked at the Spoiler anyway That possibility seems the most plausible, and could
    be the best result for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ladygreco View Post
    Haven't seen the Christmas episode, but looked at the Spoiler anyway That possibility seems the most plausible, and could
    be the best result for everyone.
    You will LOVE the Christmas episode. One of my favorite episodes of television EVER.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but really, I have to agree with a commenter over on Slate's blog about the series: "If this [last week's] episode were any more campy we'd have to break out the s'mores." I did like some of the stories, such as Thomas'--never thought I would feel sorry for him! I doubt he'll stay a humble footman in the next season. It was also touching to see Anna and Bates finally get married. As the police were leading him out, though, I kept thinking, "Quick! Somebody hire Hercule Poirot!" (Which would be appropriate since he was a Belgian refugee from WWI. Maybe Isobel can find him through her charity work and bring him over. )

Honestly, though, I burst out laughing when Matthew sprang from his wheelchair to catch Lavinia. Just like I said, rising like Lazarus! And it's hugely ironic that Britain recently celebrated Dicken's birth, because he became famous by writing about a self-sacrificing heroine who died tragically and angelically. He and his readers would have loved this series--only they would have made Lavinia the heroine.

And so now the only thing left is to vanquish the dragon of Sir Richard. Whatever will everybody do with themselves once they don't have all that drama in their lives?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Thoroughly agree on the Matthew jumping out of his wheelchair scene. The only thing worse was when everyone came running into the room to see if it was true, then he stood up and everyone started clapping. I thought that was wayyyyyyyyyyyyy weird. And Lavinia's death scene was like something out of Carol Burnett impersonating Ali MacGraw in "Love Story." "I don't feel well, I'm going to go lie down." Boom. She's ever so angelically dead, and the makeup artist goes crazy trying to make Matthew look like his eyes are sunken in and red from mourning. But the rest of it was good - and the Christmas episode (next one) is fantastic.

I was reading something about the influenza epidemic and, apparently, that strain of influenza behaved the way we saw with Lavinia: you seemed to get better when it was just the eye of the storm and then, fairly quickly, you went downhill and died. It was actually the first pandemic involving H1N1 and it killed between 50 and 100 million people.

I don't care if it is corny. I love this show! It's like an antidote to cynicism.
    Florimel and AZChristian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I was reading something about the influenza epidemic and, apparently, that strain of influenza behaved the way we saw with Lavinia: you seemed to get better when it was just the eye of the storm and then, fairly quickly, you went downhill and died. It was actually the first pandemic involving H1N1 and it killed between 50 and 100 million people.

I don't care if it is corny. I love this show! It's like an antidote to cynicism.

Critical, you are absolutely correct. The 1918 flu epidemic killed more people than in WWI. It especially hit young people the
    hardest, with some of them succumbing within hours of coming down with it. Others died within a few days. I agree, even though it gets a little melodramatic at times, it is still one of the best shows on television right now.

+ Reply to Thread