+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 134 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast
Like Tree704Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Masterpiece Theater

I'm watching it this morning - for the 3rd time. Words fail me.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Ok, now I understand why none of you who have already watched Series II responded to my inquiries about Jane and Robert
    a few pages back. Definitely wouldn't have wanted to spoil that one, which surprised me tonight in Episode 6. Can't wait until next week for the "Christmas episode". Or maybe I won't and will watch it online.

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

I thought the Jane/Robert thing was one of the few criticisms I have of anything I've seen on Downton Abbey. I didn't like how he became a petulant child about not having Cora's full attention and adoration, so he went off and started snogging one of the maids . . . and talking to her in ways he never did with anyone else. I'm glad their relationship ended when and as it did - unconsummated. The irony of him nearly disowning Sybil for having a relationship with the chauffeur when he was so close to an affair with a maid was just a sour note for me.

And how sweet were the Bates/Anna scenes? I love Brendan Coyle!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I thought the Jane/Robert thing was one of the few criticisms I have of anything I've seen on Downton Abbey. I didn't like how he became a petulant child about not having Cora's full attention and adoration, so he went off and started snogging one of the maids . . . and talking to her in ways he never did with anyone else. I'm glad their relationship ended when and as it did - unconsummated. The irony of him nearly disowning Sybil for having a relationship with the chauffeur when he was so close to an affair with a maid was just a sour note for me.

And how sweet were the Bates/Anna scenes? I love Brendan Coyle!
    I couldn't agree more. When Robert kissed Jane, I was shocked. He has been so admirable throughout this series, and it
    seemed out of character for him. I hope that she doesn't make another appearance in Season III. His behavior was deplorable.
    LOVE Mr. Bates and Anna! How cute was it that Anna still calls him Mr. Bates, even after they are married.
    AZChristian likes this.

At that time, it was not at all unusual for the aristocrats to have liaisons with the downstairs help. As long as it was discreet, it was pretty much accepted as the norm both for men and women. We saw it in Upstairs/Downstairs and also in Gosford Park, among others. I found Robert to have acted with more integrity than most of his class would have done. Outrage was expressed only if discretion failed. Not at all surprising to me.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ladygreco View Post
    Ok, now I understand why none of you who have already watched Series II responded to my inquiries about Jane and Robert
    a few pages back. Definitely wouldn't have wanted to spoil that one, which surprised me tonight in Episode 6. Can't wait until next week for the "Christmas episode". Or maybe I won't and will watch it online.
    Watching the UK series 2 online, the Christmas Special is episode 10. Episode 9 was a "Behind the Scenes" chapter, out of story sequence.

So, if this past Sunday's episode was #6, there should still be a 7 and 8 before the Christmas Special?

Season 2

Episode 1 Episode 1 9/18/2011
    Episode 2 Episode 2 9/25/2011
    Episode 3 Episode 3 10/2/2011
    Episode 4 Episode 4 10/9/2011
    Episode 5 Episode 5 10/16/2011
    Episode 6 Episode 6 10/23/2011
    Episode 7 Episode 7 10/30/2011
    Episode 8 Episode 8 11/6/2011
    Episode 9 Behind the Drama 12/21/2011
    Episode 10 Christmas Special 12/25/2011
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 02-13-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

What we saw yesterday was what IMDB lists as episodes 7 and 8. I don't know if there's a "Behind the Drama" episode, but my local PBS listing doesn't show it. In fact, it shows the Christmas Special as Episode 7 (they count 2-hour episodes as 1 episode although they are 2 episodes shown back-to-back.

It really bothered me that he was kissing that maid while his wife was ill. It seemed very out of character.

I still don't get the "romance" between Sybil and Branson. They just have no chemistry in my opinion. And he seems like such a humorless stick in the mud. I can understand Sybil's impulse to run away from all that aristocratic oppressiveness but with him?

Poor Lavinia. I knew she would never make it through the Spanish flu epidemic as soon as her engagement to Matthew was announced. And it seemed a little melodramatic her telling him on her deathbed that she wanted just wanted him to be happy.

Despite my many complaints, ha-ha, I actually LOVE this show. Bates and Anna were so sweet last night. Seeing Thomas lose it all was so satisfying, and watching him try to ingratiate himself back into the household was very amusing. And the Dowager Duchess never disappoints!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Watching the UK series 2 online, the Christmas Special is episode 10. Episode 9 was a "Behind the Scenes" chapter, out of story sequence.

So, if this past Sunday's episode was #6, there should still be a 7 and 8 before the Christmas Special?

Season 2

Episode 1 Episode 1 9/18/2011
    Episode 2 Episode 2 9/25/2011
    Episode 3 Episode 3 10/2/2011
    Episode 4 Episode 4 10/9/2011
    Episode 5 Episode 5 10/16/2011
    Episode 6 Episode 6 10/23/2011
    Episode 7 Episode 7 10/30/2011
    Episode 8 Episode 8 11/6/2011
    Episode 9 Behind the Drama 12/21/2011
    Episode 10 Christmas Special 12/25/2011
    I doubt they'll show the behind the scenes episode. I'm surprised it aired before the finale since it revealed spoilers from the Christmas Special. I watched it last because I didn't want to see what happened before I actually watched.

Episodes 1-8 were all about an hour long. PBS combined 1&2 and 7&8, so next week is the last week, with the Christmas Special.

Robert's little dalliance with Jane is just another example for me of how no one on this show is all good or all bad - they're just human and they all make mistakes. I was happy to see her go.

I think I watched all of the episodes online after the first week, so I watched the rest of the season in a day or two. I couldn't remember what events happened in which episode. I forgot how much happens in the Christmas Special! Get ready - it's going to be a roller coaster of emotions!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I forgot how much happens in the Christmas Special! Get ready - it's going to be a roller coaster of emotions!
    And the Academy Award for Understatement of the Year goes to . . . . "CRITICAL"!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread