+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree811Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I've only just discovered Doc Martin. Loving every minute of it!!!
    I, too, have enjoyed Doc Martin, as well as several other shows Martin Clunes has starred in.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Apparently I'm Henri Leclair. Works for me!
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Seems like I enjoy watching these shows on my computer, more so than on television.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Caught up with Mr. Selfridge this morning. Harry being recruited to be a spy? Not quite sure what I think about that.....not much, I'm guessing. Lord Loxley is such a worm. Lady Mae has truly sold her soul by marrying him, and she knows it. Delphine has decided to take advantage of Harry's weakness for fooling around, but I'm hoping he will fend off the urge this time. Delphine is not romantically interested in Harry, but she's going to pretend to be in order to USE him and get to his money. Harry is so desperate to fit in that I can see him making some very bad decisions.....and still not getting where he thinks he wants to be. I think I am in favor of Miss Mardle's interest in the young man, Florian. She is SPRUNG!

This show is just too, too good!!
    Punkin, Imperfect1 and AZChristian like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Must confess . . . after seeing that Agnes got a telegram ("Mr. Selfridge"), I had to go online to check spoilers. And is anyone else looking forward to Mr. Thackery getting his comeuppance????

Haven't seen the latest episode, but Thackery is a true weasel.....and he works hard to live up to/down to that title.
    Florimel and AZChristian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Must confess . . . after seeing that Agnes got a telegram ("Mr. Selfridge"), I had to go online to check spoilers. And is anyone else looking forward to Mr. Thackery getting his comeuppance????
    In a word, YES!!!!! I'd like to see him and Loxley turn on each other with both of them going down.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FINALLY had time to watch the latest Call the Midwife last night.

• TOO MANY PLOTS in one episode, so nothing was fully developed. Felt like I was on a speeding train.

• Were we the only people who had trouble with understanding what people were saying? We will literally have to watch it again on DVD so we can turn the closed captioning on. It's bad enough when the story lines are flying past at warp speed . . . but when everyone seems to have mouths full of porridge, it's impossible to follow!

I don't think it's a major tragedy that Jenny isn't there. There are plenty of other potential story lines and cast members. It'll take some adjustment, but - well - that's life!

I have read that the stories are now away from the books and just writing of the tv show. I think it has suffered. Something is just off, IMO. It's not so much that Jenny is gone. It's just that the stories and characters are not as vivid for some reason. I think the show has suffered. It seems that Chummy is being wasted.

The story about the doctor and his wife adopting is rather confusing. They had two infants come into their lives recently, yet never thought of adoption, even though the son suggested it. Yes, I know she was planning to have a baby, but still, it seemed off that they were so far way from the idea. Then when the friend says she adopted, they jump on the idea. If just didn't ring true to me.

Then they have the adoption process written as if it complex and invasive then as it is today. I don't buy that. I believe that adoptions were much more informal and less difficult than they are today, especially for a respected physician. I think that if he put the word out, he could obtain a child for adoption with ease and avoid the red tape they are portraying.

I hope they do something with Trixie. She has been pretty one dimensional, but they could open up her character. She was pretty patient with the date she had Sunday. I'm not sure I would have been that good of a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Then they have the adoption process written as if it complex and invasive then as it is today. I don't buy that. I believe that adoptions were much more informal and less difficult than they are today, especially for a respected physician. I think that if he put the word out, he could obtain a child for adoption with ease and avoid the red tape they are portraying.
    And it veered off weirdly, didn't it? When he saw the questions, it seemed like he was trying to hide something. "I don't see why they need to know all this." Then suddenly, she said, "Don't be silly. We are filling out this paperwork tonight." And his reservations weren't mentioned again. Very unsatisfactory.

+ Reply to Thread