+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree908Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Oh yes. That would make sense that they would return him to the water, if they could ensure he would stay down.

I was a little surprised of the entire plot about the drunk driving killing the friend so long ago. Mr. Powell was drinking. It was an accident. Today there might be very serious charges, but back then? Cyprus was under British administration during the time the accident happened, but not later on. I wonder what the laws were then. Certainly the time period for pressing charges had lapsed. And would something like that really ruin Mr. Powell's career? It seems a pity to live your life in a mental prison under those circumstances.

Why did they call Dr. Powell Mr. Powell? I heard them call other doctors doctor.

I do really like the actor who portrayed Mr. Powell. He's been in a lot of things.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I, too, wondered why they called Dr. Powell "Mr.". Wonder if it has to do with him being a surgeon, giving acknowledgment to his advanced training?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yes, the surgeons are referred to as Mr. Odd, IMO.

Why are (male) surgeons still addressed as Mr?

Calling them Mr is standard practice in England, just as they called nurses "Sister."
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Looking forward to Mystery at Pemberly.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

2 hours every night, for the Roosevelts, is waaaay too much. Whose bright idea was this? I'm trying to hang in there, and I'm fading fast!
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    2 hours every night, for the Roosevelts, is waaaay too much. Whose bright idea was this? I'm trying to hang in there, and I'm fading fast!
    I'm so glad you said that, Shay. I watched the first 2 hours last night and looked at my clock several times, thinking "When is this going to be OVER????" I can't imagine another 5 two hour episodes --- especially since I thought (and hoped) this series was going to be portrayed as a 'drama' and not like the typical 'voice-overs +-photos type of documentary that other channels, like the History Channel, usually produce.

I have to admit, the 'history' lesson is very interesting, and I learned way more about the Roosevelt's early years than I ever knew --- but jeeeeez. . .

I'm recording it all to watch as time allows. I love Ken Burns' documentaries. I own the 10 disc Baseball series which is way longer than this was wonderful, and I watched each disc when I had time or interest. Will keep The Roosevelts saved and do the same.

I sort of expect it will become available to watch at no charge on my Roku via Amazon Prime as so many of his other documentaries are. I think all the Roosevelts are fascinating and a great example of what government could be.
    Punkin likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    I'm so glad you said that, Shay. I watched the first 2 hours last night and looked at my clock several times, thinking "When is this going to be OVER????" I can't imagine another 5 two hour episodes --- especially since I thought (and hoped) this series was going to be portrayed as a 'drama' and not like the typical 'voice-overs +-photos type of documentary that other channels, like the History Channel, usually produce.

I have to admit, the 'history' lesson is very interesting, and I learned way more about the Roosevelt's early years than I ever knew --- but jeeeeez. . .

Today, I have to confess that I skipped 2 episodes. I think it was mainly about the time slot at 10 p.m. I watched last night at 8 p.m., and did much better. I plan to try that again tonight; I am up to WW2, at least. If I eventually catch the 2 episodes that I missed, well good on me. What really struck me last night was how much of what happened last night is repeating itself, in this day and age. As the saying goes "Everything old is new again."

I'm loving The Roosevelts!
    Florimel likes this.

+ Reply to Thread