+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree802Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I kind of have that in the depths of my memory, too. I guess I'll have to re-watch all that dreary prison stuff to see.
    When Mathews butler lost his job this year due to Mathews death he was working odd jobs around the village and quite down on his luck. In order to help him out w/o hurting his pride, Bates wrote a letter backdated a few years stating that Bates owed him 25 pounds. That way Bates and Anna could give him some money under the pretense they owed him the money.
    I do think it's a bit silly to have Bates suddenly become a master forger and pickpocket in regards to retrieving the incriminating letter about the prince. I found it outlandish. Then again, this really is a soap opera, dressed up in beautiful costumes during a fascinating time period in England. I remember the actor who played Mathew laughing about his `miraculous recovery' from paralysis. The way he suddenly leapt out of his wheelchair when Lavinia tripped while carrying a tea tray. He had a good laugh about that scene.
    "Remember, sometimes your`buddy' isn't really your `buddy'." - Donny

Also, Bates forged a document in jail too. It was something about getting that mean cell mate in trouble, so he would stop tormenting Bates. It seems that Bates has another history from years ago that we have not been told about in detail. The pick pocketing, forgery, etc. He has a past that he left behind, but some of the skills have served him well in his new life.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I thought I remembered something like that! What can be learned over the course of one's lifetime can be multiple and varied. In grade school, I got so good at recreating my mother's signature that it was never questioned! Hah! The nuns weren't as smart and they thought they were!! It was a question of them or ME, and I wasn't going down that easily! Fortunately, that lasted less than a semester; I understood ol' Bates!
    Florimel and AZChristian like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Prhoshay, You are a sly one!

I think they have always alluded to Bates shady past. Robert talked about it in one of the first episodes. I came to the conclusion that Bates had been a shady character but changed during the African war. I never remember things right but I think his mother told Anna the problem between Bates and Vera was that he had changed into a good man and Vera was still a thief. For whatever reason I'm not a bit surprised that Bates knows how to run a con.
    Florimel likes this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Robert does know about Bates. Recall how he fudged and said the letter was accidently dropped to the floor and Bates picked it up and not that Bates picked it from an inside pocket on the man's jacket. That might raise an eyebrow.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Robert and Bates understand each other.

Some people understand when NOT to ask questions.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 03-10-2014 at 10:45 AM.
    Florimel and AZChristian like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I agree with Prhoshay. I think Robert knew exactly where the letter came from.
    Florimel likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

A friend from back east who knows my passion for Downton Abbey sent me this link.

Between frequent flyer points, hotel points, and my husband's passion for visiting baseball parks (we could hit THREE in one week) . . . I think we're going to see the Downton Abbey costume exhibit.

This old lady is jumping up and down like a teenager!
    Punkin likes this.

Looks great! But Deleware is a little far for me, so please post pics. I think my favorite dress was Mary's red dress in season 2 or 3. Anyone else know exactly which dress I am referring to?

+ Reply to Thread