+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree812Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

CCL

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

I think the showmakers might want us to correlate Miss Bunting with Sibyl but I don't. Miss Bunting is just...awful. Pushy and opinionated without knowing all the facts...downright rude at times.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Miss Bunting, like most people in her world, do not like people like the Crawleys. She is constantly chiding Tom for his loyalty and friendship with them. I cannot see this relationship going anywhere! But who knows what the writers will do.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I do! I see Miss Bunting coming from where Tom once was.
    cablejockey and redsox girl like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yes Tom was really against the aristocracy and all it stood for, with good reason. But without the Crawleys he would have ended up in jail or worse.
    Debb70 likes this.

I was sad that there didn't seem to be any young ladies attracted to Tom at the ball. I understand that he's not desireable due to his status and lack of an inheritance, however, certainly some young lady who has issues of her own would see such a handsome and kind young man who lives in Downton and have some interest in him. Miss Bunting is all they can come up with? Please.

I rewatched the show again this weekend. The expressions on Mr. Carson's face just crack me up. When the American servant was asking if there was anything "Going on" between Daisy and Alford, I just died. The way he looked at the young man and the response about certainly nothing is GOING ON, in any house that I am in charge. lol Just a delightful scene, IMO.
    Florimel, Moontat, Coco46 and 1 others like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think it's more about who Tom might be interested in.

Mr. Carson's expressions were, indeed, hilarious!! Loved them!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I think with both Tom and Sybil (coming at it from different perspectives), there evolved a willingness to see the "other side" and to recognize that life is a conglomeration of different shades of gray . . . not the black and white they originally thought. We haven't seen any evolution of Miss Bunting yet. But the situational friction between early Tom and early Sybil was a lot more interesting than what we see between Tom and Miss Bunting.
    Punkin likes this.

Mr. Carson has this way of just leering at someone who is saying things that don't proport with his sensibilities. It's so amusing to me.

Does anyone know if we will see more of Mrs. Crawley's mother and brother next season?

And how much in the future will the next season go? If they keep going too much, they are going to have to do age progression on the actors.
    Last edited by Debb70; 03-03-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I was sad that there didn't seem to be any young ladies attracted to Tom at the ball. I understand that he's not desireable due to his status and lack of an inheritance, however, certainly some young lady who has issues of her own would see such a handsome and kind young man who lives in Downton and have some interest in him. Miss Bunting is all they can come up with? Please
    I think we're so used to seeing how evolved the Crawleys have become on race, religion and the classes, that we can forget that they are unique in their time for doing so. Many of the guests at the ball probably would still consider Tom unworthy for his Irishness and his Catholicism, and the fact that he married up as a servant.

There were 9 Marys for every Rose/Sybil. The Miss Buntings are probably Tom's best bet at this point.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I think we're so used to seeing how evolved the Crawleys have become on race, religion and the classes, that we can forget that they are unique in their time for doing so. Many of the guests at the ball probably would still consider Tom unworthy for his Irishness and his Catholicism, and the fact that he married up as a servant.

There were 9 Marys for every Rose/Sybil. The Miss Buntings are probably Tom's best bet at this point.
    Or, a trip abroad to America might work. I am so fond of Tom I really want him to find someone as noble, compassionate and brave as Sybil. I am not feeling sympathetic toward Miss Bunting, it's as if she has to many rough edges; Sybil softened Tom's rough edges so he is deserving of someone more refined now. I am not doing a good job of explaining myself. He can't fit in, he is between classes now and going abroad seems the only reasonable solution. But the writing is exceptional, so I am sure we will watch Tom struggle and grow through this next season. (Sigh, such a long time to wait).
    Punkin likes this.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread