+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree704Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I have heard this theory. Please give your reasons for believing it. It's something to consider.
    She seemed pleased when Edith said she would give the child up. This would also account for the way Edith feels second place to Mary
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    She seemed pleased when Edith said she would give the child up. This would also account for the way Edith feels second place to Mary
    It seems like if this theory were true, Edith would only feel second place to Mary if she was aware that Rosamund was her mother. If that was the case, then I would have expected that fact to have been included in the discussions about Edith giving up her own child. If the theory was true, but Mary and Edith didn't know then Edith could still feel second to Mary simply because she is the second (non-inheriting) child.

ALTHOUGH, this concept would add a whole new layer of meaning to the scene where Edith told Rosamund that she had never been a mother!!
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that Edith is actually Rosamund's love child, and that she gave Edith to her brother to raise to escape scandal? It would seem a perfect fit.
    I was thinking the same thing...just after Edith said "You've never been a mother." to Rosamund. The look on Rosamund's face spoke volumes.

I think we'll be seeing more of Lady Grantham's brother. My guess is he sincerely had feelings for the gal that was seeking his attention. (Can't think of her name. How do you people keep all the character names straight? Kudos to you...)

Shirley McClain is sooooo unShirley McClainlike. I'm amazed at how she looks and carries herself while playing this part. Great actress! She really pulls off this role.

I didn't like Sara Bunting from the minute I saw her. Watch out Tom!

I like Charles. I think I could accept a Mary/Charles coupling. BTW, is Charles related to Freda??

Hope we see more of Barrow next season. I love to hate that guy.

Can't believe the season is behind us already. A year is a very long time to wait for Season 5!
    Punkin, Florimel, Moontat and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    What I got from Edith's and the farmers conversation is that he understands it is her child and that she wants to see the child raised without the scandal. I think that's why he suggested that instead of her bringing the baby to his family with her fake story that he take the baby home to his wife and family with a different story. That way the baby can never be linked back to her to avoid the scandal. IDK but I really think his intentions are honorable. I thought it was a very touching scene.
    I also think that, for now, his intentions are honorable, since the family has been so good to him about letting him keep his farm and giving him the pigs to raise. But I can see a situation down the road where maybe he runs into difficulty, and he can't keep up the farm, and Mary and Tom might want to evict him -- his one card to play is Edith's secret, especially if she doesn't volunteer to help him somehow for fear of being found out. Or maybe they'll see Edith hanging around his place too much and accuse them of having an affair. Something will complicate this, for sure.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Well, it sure would explain Edith's reddish hair!
    Moontat likes this.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl View Post
    What a wonderful, uplifting ending to season 4! Loved the concluding episode of Downton Abbey, and I can't wait for season 5! I was going to say more, but realized the show might not have aired yet on West Coast, so I will return later.
    I felt the same way... it was very uplifting and I just loved all of it. Looking forward to season 5

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Edith being Rosamund's child would explain a lot! I wondered why she was so helpful when most people would not help in these circumstances! And she does stand out between Mary and Sybil's dark looks. And Edith always seemed to stand apart from the others and not fit in. The only person besides her aunt that naturally takes her side in things is Tom, who is not a realative.
    tinderbox, Moontat and AZChristian like this.

CCL

I doubt Edith is Rosamund's child though I wouldn't mind being wrong and the storyline that follows.
    AZChristian likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

When you think of it, the show skips over a lot of key moments that most other tv shows would linger over. We jump fromMathew lying dead on the road to months later, and the same with Edith and her pregnancy. They just skip over some funerals and baby's being born. But with so much going on, you don't really norice.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Well, it sure would explain Edith's reddish hair!
    Hmmm... Doesn't Shirley McClain's character have reddish hair??

+ Reply to Thread