+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree839Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl View Post
    Tom is having a hard time learning to say "No" (I do not like his new lady friend), I really like him though and hope he remains at Downton. Loved his advice to Edith, and right now I am trusting that the tenant farmer willing to take her daughter is honest and means no harm. Isn't he the one grateful to the Crawley's for allowing him to stay on after his father died?

I was happy to see Anna and Bates enjoying the shore, long time since her sweet spirit was joyful. Also very pleased with Daisy and her encouragement for Ivy to become Harold's new cook. I guess we will enjoy another fresh face in the kitchen next season, I was hoping Daisy would stay, love the closeness she enjoys with her father-in-law.

I tend to forgive Mary and Edith for their smallness, they are growing even if they occasionally slide a step back from time to time....

I had thought Mr Bates had an honorable career before serving in the military, he became hardened after his first wife stole and he went to prison and took the blame for her theft. Kinda thought he may have become "skilled" in prison. It does come in handy though.

Finally, I loved the final scene so much; (it was like mom and dad enjoying a lighter side) such a sweet way to end the season.
    I thought he'd had an honorable life before the war, too. I forgot that he'd been in prison before he came to Downton. Who knows where he picked up those skills, but I think it's strange that he suddenly has them. It doesn't seem like something the show would just throw in casually, so I have to wonder where they're headed with it. Maybe nowhere. I hope so.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

My guess is that Fellowes used it as a convenient device just for the letter-stealing caper, so that he didn't have to introduce any more new characters (which means hiring more actors which costs more money). I would hope Lord Grantham isn't going to be regualarly calling on Bates to forge documents for him. (Although Robert can be such a weasal at times, so who knows)
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I am hoping we see something of Lord Grantham's trip to New York! And maybe something of Ivy's. This city has come up in the s/l a lot over the years and seems to be home base for Cora's realatives. There hasnt been much said about Lord G's trip except a comment from sly old Thomas. I would love to see them managing in the strangeness of a new place.
    Watching the presentations at court, I never realized before that the young girl 'coming out', had to be presented by an older female realative with connections to the aristocracy. I thought--when something like this even crossed my mind--it would be her father presenting her to the king.

Wouldn't it be shocking if it comes out that Bates really did kill his wife???????lol Just kidding. I think she did commit suicide by poisoning herself, but he might have helped her along with it? He can be very convincing.

I do hope Edith can trust the man she is leaving the child with. She has such poor luck. She's likely to get caught in a blackmail situation.

I do wonder how Edith thinks she and her child can inherit from her lover gone missing since he has a living wife. There is no proof this child is his and he cannot acknowledge it is his child. This is usually required for inheritance by out of wedlock children. I also wonder why Edith has never checked in on the wife who is supposedly in an asylum. Wouldn't the man's estate go to pay for his wife's care?

Is there a Christmas special that we haven't seen yet?
    Last edited by Debb70; 02-26-2014 at 08:26 AM.
    cablejockey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I do hope Edith can trust the man she is leaving the child with. She has such poor luck. She's likely to get caught in a blackmail situation.

I do wonder how Edith thinks she and her child can inherit from her lover gone missing since he has a living wife. There is no proof this child is his and he cannot acknowledge it is his child. This is usually required for inheritance by out of wedlock children. I also wonder why Edith has never checked in on the wife who is supposedly in an asylum. Wouldn't the man's estate go to pay for his wife's care?
    I want to think the guy taking the baby has honorable intentions too, but something about that conversation made me extra uncomfortable. Something seemed really off. I also wondered why the heck there was no mention of the wife when Edith was talking about how he had given her power of attorney. Very strange.

I thought we had seen Bates pull off a bit of forgery in the past...?

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I thought we had seen Bates pull off a bit of forgery in the past...?
    I kind of have that in the depths of my memory, too. I guess I'll have to re-watch all that dreary prison stuff to see.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.

Recall when in prison Bates had forged some kind of letter that caused the evil cell mate to go down. The guy was trying to make Bates' existence even more miserable. I have forgotten the details.

Am I the only one who thinks that Edith is actually Rosamund's love child, and that she gave Edith to her brother to raise to escape scandal? It would seem a perfect fit.
    Brodie and Moontat like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

What I got from Edith's and the farmers conversation is that he understands it is her child and that she wants to see the child raised without the scandal. I think that's why he suggested that instead of her bringing the baby to his family with her fake story that he take the baby home to his wife and family with a different story. That way the baby can never be linked back to her to avoid the scandal. IDK but I really think his intentions are honorable. I thought it was a very touching scene.
    Punkin, prhoshay, Moontat and 1 others like this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that Edith is actually Rosamund's love child, and that she gave Edith to her brother to raise to escape scandal? It would seem a perfect fit.
    I have heard this theory. Please give your reasons for believing it. It's something to consider.

+ Reply to Thread