+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree818Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    .......in Edith's desciption of what happened to Michael.
    Whoa! Somehow I missed that! What exactly did happen to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Whoa! Somehow I missed that! What exactly did happen to him?
    It was touched upon only briefly and I don't even recall to whom she was telling this. Perhaps it was Drewe. From what I remember, Michael has not been found, but Edith has learned that Michael got into a fight with a gang of tough young men -- (he took a stand against things they were saying) -- on his first night in Munich, These toughs were apparently quite well known and wore brown shirts. That sounded like budding nazi's to me. I did check and found that this took place in 1923, ten years before the actual beginning of the Third Reich, but I believe those sentiments had been brewing for a while.
    Last edited by Florimel; 02-24-2014 at 04:51 PM.
    Punkin, ClosetRTWatcher and Debb70 like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I totally loved your husband's suggestion, AZ. It had me laughing just like your emoticons.

I was about to explain about the titles, "Lady" and "Honourable," but you did a great job. Of course, these shows demonstrate to us that all "Ladies" are not so ladylike and all "Honourables," are not so honorable in their behavior, just as the senators and congressmen who refer to each other as "the Gentleman from .....". are rarely gentlemen.

There were so many things to like about last night's episode such as the Crawley's purloining the letter, Bates doing the forgery, Daisy's new found strength in deciding who she is and what she wants, the mellowing of Harold, and more.

What still puzzles me is that no reference has been made of Cora and her family possibly being Jewish. Levinson is most definitely a Jewish surname and Harold Levinson leaves little doubt in my mind. I wonder if that will come up next season since we did see a glimpse of the rise of Nazi Germany in Edith's desciption of what happened to Michael.

Another question is whether the Prince of Wales is supposed to be Edward VIII, whose real name was David and who abdicated to marry Wallace Simposon in 1936. My thinking is that's who it was.
    Interesting observation about the name Levinson and whether Cora is Jewish.

As for the bolded part, see my earlier post. The Prince of Wales was most definitely the one you speak of. The woman he was with in last night's show was referred to as Mrs. Dudley Ward, so I googled, Dudley Ward and David Windsor, and found information on the affair.
    Punkin and Florimel like this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Thanks for all to their info on my questions. It makes so much sense now!

Please ignore what I said about Mary changing. I'm not so sure now. Last night she was once again such a spoiled brat. Why was she so appalled to share a room with Edith. She ranted like Edith was a serial killer or something. Then she had to remind her suitor that he shouldn't indulge himself with feeling frustrated or afraid of his chances with her. As Mary told him, what he should be focused on was celebrating that Mary has come to the realization that she has a life ahead of her. Sorry Mary, we know it's all about how you feel and what you want. And when she found out her other suitor was going to recieve a large inheritance, I thought she was going to faint, she was so giddy. Talk about being full of youself......she hasn't changed IMO.

And I'm also disappointed in Shirley McClain's character. She has the never to tell the Dowager that she is the future.....WHAT is she talking about? She lives off her husband's money, living the good life, traveling in style, etc. much the same as any royal. The only difference I see between her and a Brit upper class person is their accent.

I do love the guy who played her son, although I have a difficult time seeing him as playboy or an effective business man.

Last night made me wish they had made Rose a great character. If she was more personable watching her last night would have meant something.

I do not care for the lady that Tom took to see Downton Abbey. Everytime I see her, she is more amnoying than the last. What is she a stalker or something? lol
    Last edited by Debb70; 02-24-2014 at 06:59 PM.
    Dragonlady, Coco46 and AZChristian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    Interesting observation about the name Levinson and whether Cora is Jewish.

As for the bolded part, see my earlier post. The Prince of Wales was most definitely the one you speak of. The woman he was with in last night's show was referred to as Mrs. Dudley Ward, so I googled, Dudley Ward and David Windsor, and found information on the affair.
    Thanks for confirming, Miss_Griss. I must have missed your earlier post. That character screamed Duke of Windsor to me from the first. So, if I'm remembering correctly, the younger brother who took the throne after that was George VI, father of the current queen, and the one the film, The King's Speech was about. I love how Fellowes adds the history of the period into the goings on at the Abbey.

Debb70, I completely agree about the Sarah Bunting character. She seems to have an agenda and would probably be a good partner in crime for Thomas. She's one of my least liked female characters on the show.
    Mike'sgirl likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I think Tom Likes a challenge, not a yes girl

Edith can be sooo maudlin.

I love sassy Mary- love her.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Thanks to all who gave other suggestions to watch on Masterpiece Theater. I really appreciate it.
    And I was serious that these silly housewives are becoming more and more cartoon-ish and Hollywood-ized.......just not interesting anymore because they don't even show a slight resemblance to any high society women.
    I just need something more now.
    Of course, I'm going to try watching the Private Lives of Nashville Wives just to see what that's about but I have a feeling I'll be disappointed. Atho I did notice that one of the wives is married to the lead singer of The Mavericks band. I'm so in love with her husband's voice. I had never heard of them until I tracked down the song used in the Dallas finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Thanks for all to their info on my questions. It makes so much sense now!

Please ignore what I said about Mary changing. I'm not so sure now. Last night she was once again such a spoiled brat. Why was she so appalled to share a room with Edith. She ranted like Edith was a serial killer or something. Then she had to remind her suitor that he shouldn't indulge himself with feeling frustrated or afraid of his chances with her. As Mary told him, what he should be focused on was celebrating that Mary has come to the realization that she has a life ahead of her. Sorry Mary, we know it's all about how you feel and what you want. And when she found out her other suitor was going to recieve a large inheritance, I thought she was going to faint, she was so giddy. Talk about being full of youself......she hasn't changed IMO.

And I'm also disappointed in Shirley McClain's character. She has the never to tell the Dowager that she is the future.....WHAT is she talking about? She lives off her husband's money, living the good life, traveling in style, etc. much the same as any royal. The only difference I see between her and a Brit upper class person is their accent.

I do love the guy who played her son, although I have a difficult time seeing him as playboy or an effective business man.

Last night made me wish they had made Rose a great character. If she was more personable watching her last night would have meant something.

I do not care for the lady that Tom took to see Downton Abbey. Everytime I see her, she is more amnoying than the last. What is she a stalker or something? lol
    I wasn\t too keen on Cora's mother and brother either! Its hard to imagine they are even related to Cora, as she embraces life at Downton, while her mother and brother look down on it so much! Really, how different are they? Mom and brother live high off the hog and probably just inherited their fortune as the aristocrats did! And they seem so rough around the edges and unmannered! It would be fun to see some kind of episodes of how Cora first came to England, first had to get used to Violet as a mother-in-law! I'll bet there were some fireworks!
    I dont like Miss Bunting's hats, its so hard to see her face in them. Most of the clothes of that era look flat and shapeless.

I had mixed feelings about Mary. I did think it was ridiculous that she basically said Gillingham shouldn't feel bad that she was stringing him along, he should feel great that he made her want to string him along!

On the other hand, I didn't really think that she was giddy about Blake's inheritance. I think she really likes Blake, but didn't truly consider him a viable suitor because she thought he came from a lower-class background and thus could not understand her. Finding out that he comes from an upper-class background means that he really can related to her family and culture, even if he doesn't completely agree with all the implications of an upper-class lifestyle. I think the inheritance would just be a bonus.

We saw in this episode how many fewer rules servants in America were expected to follow. How many times did Levinson's valet break an unspoken rule that every English servant inherently knew about?? I think Shirley McClain's character just understands that the general trend is moving toward less rigidity in society and accepts the idea. As opposed to the Dowager, who clings to the old societal norms.

Paul Giamatti is a very good actor. I thought he did a great job in this role.

I do not care for the lady that Tom took to see Downton Abbey. Every time I see her, she is more annoying than the last. What is she a stalker or something? lol
    I can't tell if she has ulterior motives or not! I did think it was rude and out of line for her to insist that Tom allow her in parts of the house that made him clearly uncomfortable. It wasn't a matter of being "allowed" to let her upstairs as much as it is having respect for the rest of your family and how they conduct their household.
    CantGetNuf, Florimel and ladygreco like this.

Tom is having a hard time learning to say "No" (I do not like his new lady friend), I really like him though and hope he remains at Downton. Loved his advice to Edith, and right now I am trusting that the tenant farmer willing to take her daughter is honest and means no harm. Isn't he the one grateful to the Crawley's for allowing him to stay on after his father died?

I was happy to see Anna and Bates enjoying the shore, long time since her sweet spirit was joyful. Also very pleased with Daisy and her encouragement for Ivy to become Harold's new cook. I guess we will enjoy another fresh face in the kitchen next season, I was hoping Daisy would stay, love the closeness she enjoys with her father-in-law.

I tend to forgive Mary and Edith for their smallness, they are growing even if they occasionally slide a step back from time to time....

I had thought Mr Bates had an honorable career before serving in the military, he became hardened after his first wife stole and he went to prison and took the blame for her theft. Kinda thought he may have become "skilled" in prison. It does come in handy though.

Finally, I loved the final scene so much; (it was like mom and dad enjoying a lighter side) such a sweet way to end the season.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread