+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree812Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

I loved it as well.♪♫ oh I do love to be beside the seaside, I do love to be beside the sea..♫♪ what a perfect ending
    Moontat likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Who would have thought that we would ever watch the Crawleys get involved in a comedy caper? Find the letter and save the monarchy!

I guess Fellowes felt he owed us an upbeat finale this time, after the gut-punch of Matthew's crash last season.

Carson and Mrs. Hughes at the end were the perfect cherry on the sundae. Can't wait for next season!
    Punkin, Florimel, nanarama and 2 others like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

All these posts sound so great! Can't wait to watch it. But the season has seemed so short...just flew by!
    I can't get enough.
    BTW, can anyone recommend other Masterpiece shows that are good like DA? This is all I've ever watched and feel I'm missing out on a lot of good shows. I can only take just so many Hoarders and Real Housewives!

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

You're in luck, DL, cause PBS is rerunning Season 1 of Mr. Selfridge, starting with part 1 next
    Tuesday March 4th (check your local listing for the time --- it's at 2AM here in the mid-west). I would imagine that once season 1 is done, PBS will run the new Season 2 of Mr. Selfridge. By the way, this is a series that starts out being a little harder to get into than Downton Abbey, but hang in there, cause it gets very engaging very quickly, and by episode 2, I was pretty much hooked. And, it's a true story, which makes it all the more fun!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I, too, enjoyed Mr. Selfridge. Other favorites are "Lark Rise to Candleford" and an older series, "The Vicar of Dibley." Great characters in all of them.

I can highly recommend The Paradise, which will have Season 2 returning at some point. As well as Call The MidWife. Soon to be returning. And Lark Rise To Candleford. It usually runs on Sunday nights, but would make better sense if you started with Season one. This series is complete and is probably on Netflix.

So, did Bates cause the guy to fall and be killed? I'm still not positive, though he sure does seem to be hiding things. I wonder if anything further will ever come of it.

Was the lady to whom the letter was sent married or single? What did Shirley McClain's character mean when she told the lady she had read rumors about her in America? Was it about her affair with the Prince?

Why is Shrimpy so popular and favored? I thought he lost all of his money and had to move abroard with no money. How could he afford to entertain and still hobnob with the royals?

Why was the daughter of the man who was trying to court Shirley McClain's character NOT a "Lady." When that came out, she and her father seened embarrassed. He made a comment about her being something else though. Can someone explain that? If she and her dad weren't in the right class, why were they mingling with such a crowd?

Is this man really going to help Edith with keeping her daughter or is it a trap?
    Last edited by Debb70; 02-24-2014 at 08:40 AM.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I can highly recommend The Paradise, which will have Season 2 returning at some point. As well as Call The MidWife. Soon to be returning. And Lark Rise To Candleford. It usually runs on Sunday nights, but would make better sense if you started with Season one. This series is complete and is probably on Netflix.

So, did Bates cause the guy to fall and be killed? I'm still not positive, though he sure does seem to be hiding things. I wonder if anything further will ever come of it.

Was the lady to whom the letter was sent married or single? What did Shirley McClain's character mean when she told the lady she had read rumors about her in America? Was it about her affair with the Prince?

Why is Shrimpy so popular and favored? I thought he lost all of his money and had to move abroard with no money. How could he afford to entertain and still hobnob with the royals?

Why was the daughter of the man who was trying to court Shirley McClain's character NOT a "Lady." When that came out, she and her father seened embarrassed. He made a comment about her being something else though. Can someone explain that? If she and her dad weren't in the right class, why were they mingling with such a crowd?

Is this man really going to help Edith with keeping her daughter or is it a trap?
    ACK! How could I have forgotten to mention the GLORIOUS "Call the Midwife" series? It is super awesome!

My comment on some of your other questions:
    • They sure seem to make it look like Bates may have been involved in Green's death. That train ticket to London on the day of the "incident" was quite the clue. So glad that Lady Mary burned it.
    • The Prince of Wales' lady friend was introduced a couple of times as "Mrs." . . . and he is historically known as a man who really liked married women. I got the sense that Shirley's character's comment was an indication that his behavior was the fodder for a lot of tabloid gossip in the States . . . even though it would have only been whispered about in England.
    • RE Madeleine, I found this online: "Madeleine's father holds a barony in English peerage. The daughters of Viscounts and Barons (the two lowest ranks of peers in the British system) are not entitled to be called "Lady [First name]" like the daughters of Dukes, Marquesses, and Earls, but are instead "the Honourable [First name] [Last name]". Thus, as the daughter of a Baron, Madeleine is "the Honourable Madeleine Allsopp", rather than "Lady Madeleine." Nevertheless, as the daughter of a peer, Madeleine is automatically eligible to be presented at court."
    • I am very concerned about Drewe's intentions regarding Edith's baby. The fact that he wasn't even going to tell his wife that Edith is involved in any way makes me very nervous about his intentions. I smell blackmail.

As hubby and I were discussing the show this morning, I mentioned how sweet the developing relationship between Molesley and Baxter is - and how much Barrow does NOT like losing his control over Baxter. Hubby came up with the best suggestion in the world to solve the issue:

"Barrow needs to go to London with Bates."

The woman who had the letter is a real person, Freda Dudley Ward, a married woman who had a 5-year affair with the Prince of Wales (who later abdicated the thrown and became the Duke of Windsor), so that part of the story line was dealing with actual historical characters.

I'm becoming very curious about Bates' history. What did he do before the war that made him such a capable pickpocket and forger? With those two talents and an apparent murder on his hands, he may not be quite as nice a guy as we have thought, which I would find very distressing.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I totally loved your husband's suggestion, AZ. It had me laughing just like your emoticons.

I was about to explain about the titles, "Lady" and "Honourable," but you did a great job. Of course, these shows demonstrate to us that all "Ladies" are not so ladylike and all "Honourables," are not so honorable in their behavior, just as the senators and congressmen who refer to each other as "the Gentleman from .....". are rarely gentlemen.

There were so many things to like about last night's episode such as the Crawley's purloining the letter, Bates doing the forgery, Daisy's new found strength in deciding who she is and what she wants, the mellowing of Harold, and more.

What still puzzles me is that no reference has been made of Cora and her family possibly being Jewish. Levinson is most definitely a Jewish surname and Harold Levinson leaves little doubt in my mind. I wonder if that will come up next season since we did see a glimpse of the rise of Nazi Germany in Edith's desciption of what happened to Michael.

Another question is whether the Prince of Wales is supposed to be Edward VIII, whose real name was David and who abdicated to marry Wallace Simposon in 1936. My thinking is that's who it was.
    Punkin, Dragonlady and AZChristian like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Shrimpie was able to keep his title, but he had to sell the estate in Scotland before moving to his new diplomatic post in Bombay. I guess he and Susan are living off the proceeds of the sale -- in separate bedrooms.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread