+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree847Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    Mary and Anna both were thinking Bates killed the guy. When Anna said she was relieved I think she was referring to there being witnesses to the "accident". I think Mary asked why because she too was thinking Bates did it and wanted Anna to confirm that Bates was innocent.
    I don't think Bates did kill him, he didn't have much to go on..jmho of course
    Debb70 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I wonder if they ever let us know. I guess I'm hoping that something comes up that gives a perfectly logical explanation of what Bates was doing. Like did he go somewhere to make a purchase for a special gift for Anna or to arrange a trip or something that would explain why he went and why he was mysterious about it. I haven't read any spoilers on it. I'm just speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I don't think Bates did kill him, he didn't have much to go on..jmho of course
    I'm hoping Bates didn't kill him because that's what's expected.

As much as I LOVE Downton Abbey, and I sincerely do love it, I think it's becoming a bit too "soapy". It's not that I'm above soap operas. Heck, I've watched and enjoyed them for years. However, I'm beginning to be able to predict Downton storylines, like I can with soaps, and that's not something I want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    I'm hoping Bates didn't kill him because that's what's expected.

As much as I LOVE Downton Abbey, and I sincerely do love it, I think it's becoming a bit too "soapy". It's not that I'm above soap operas. Heck, I've watched and enjoyed them for years. However, I'm beginning to be able to predict Downton storylines, like I can with soaps, and that's not something I want to do.
    I am just guessing, mainly because I think Bates is a fair man..I don't find it soapy, but that's just me.
    -Andy Rooney-

What struck me is that Bates seemed so nonchalant about the thing. As he walked down the hallway, he could tell that Anna was very worried over this death and if he were involved. He knows she must wonder about his actions and this man's death, yet he acts so calm and almost like the cat who ate the canary. How is that being sensitive to your wife? He's supposed to care for her feelings, yet he acts cavalier and gives her some vague response........I didn't like it. An innocent man would have held her in his arms, looked her in the eyes and told her intently that he was no where near that man and explained in detail what he was doing. That would make Anna feel better and give her peace. Letting her stew about it is just plain cruel to me.

Of course, if did do it, then he could have just lied to Anna about it. That would still have made her feel better. Either way he was causing her undue distress.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Would telling her about it make her an accessory to his action? If so, he'd never want to do that to his Anna. I can see him avenging her honor, though.

Debb, you are so mushy!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I did not find him insensitive to Anna. He stood by her through it all even when she was pushing him aside and he had no idea what was wrong. He just kept at it until he found out what had happened to her and then was completely supportive, something men of that time often were not. I doubt she'd even care if he did kill Green except for her worry that he'd be imprisoned again. That she couldn't stand especially if she thought she caused it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I did not find him insensitive to Anna. He stood by her through it all even when she was pushing him aside and he had no idea what was wrong. He just kept at it until he found out what had happened to her and then was completely supportive, something men of that time often were not. I doubt she'd even care if he did kill Green except for her worry that he'd be imprisoned again. That she couldn't stand especially if she thought she caused it.
    ICAM.. I think Bates is very loving toward his Anna
    Marlena_M and Moontat like this.
    -Andy Rooney-

Did anyone watch Murder on the Home Front following Downton? I really enjoyed it, the cast seemed likable and a little quirky, funny in an amusing sort of NCIS way. I was just wondering if they are considering running this as a future Masterpiece Mystery series, anyone hear or read anything?
    Punkin likes this.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I just watched the most recent episode, and there is not a doubt in my mind that Bates did the deed to eliminate the rapist. His smart move is to mention it to no one. Can't wait to see how this plays out!

I love how Mary has all of these men eating out of her hand. When you've got it....you've got it!
    Matthew's mother also seems to be having a time keeping the pathway to her door clear, too!

I swear, it's either feast or famine!
    Punkin likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread