+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree802Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    I think the boss confirmed that he "stumbled or tripped somehow". People might not have noticed that he stumbled and tripped on a walking stick. I have no doubt Bates did it. What he said to Anna at the end pretty much confirmed it. Now we just have to wait and see what Mary or Mr. Green's boss do about it. Mary asking him to fire his valet right before he has an accident is way to suspicious for him to just write it off. I am glad that other guy told Mary she should do nothing.

It looks like the juvenile kitchen storyline is over. And wrapped up nicely in my opinion. I like that Mr. Mason told Daisy to end her friendship with Alford with "no sharp edges". Very wise advice. And Mrs. Patmore brought a tear to my eye when she told Daisy how proud of her she was.

Mr. Mosley and the new lady's maid. Cute!!! Especially when he rang the bell! It's about time something went in his favor. And I love that he isn't afraid to stand up to Thomas. But he also isn't prepared for the conniving troublemaking that is Thomas. Mr. Mosley would be a poor combatant for Thomas to go after. I like how Robert told Mr. Bates that he missed him while giving a pointed look toward Thomas.

I think Edith and Mary are both sorry sisters. Remember when Sybil died and Edith asked Mary if she thought they might become closer and Mary said, "No." Harsh, just ouch, harsh. I think they have both done despicable things to each other. For me with Edith it always goes back to the Turkish embassy. They have both grown so much since Sybil died. I just think Mary is a little less twisted then Edith. And I do understand more where Ediths evil comes from. She was the least favorite daughter. I remember her overhearing Cora and Mary talking about her and how she needed all the help she could get. So she's always known where she stands with them. That would make anyone a little harder. I've noticed since Sybil died that Cora calls Edith more terms of endearment. I don't know if that's on purpose or I just notice it more. But I'm glad Edith finally has an ally in her aunt. I just like the growth that Mary is showing more. I still find the fact that I like her at all amazing. I hope Edith's boyfriend returns in time to save her from disgrace and she gets to have a few happy years with him before the Nazi's come and kill him.

OMG, CGN,
    Nicely stated!!!!
    KAREN

I can see Edith being more maternal then Mary. Raising a child actively does teach a parent to love unconditionally and I can see that changing Edith. In this respect, Edith would probably be more like Sybil would have been, more "hands on" I think than Mary. I hope Julian Fellowes does include the baby into Edith's character development.... with or without her "mister".
    I am pleased with Lady Mary's development in the series and would love to see Edith's growth continue through motherhood. Mary always wanted a more active part in the running of Downton, and Edith always wanted to love and to be loved. A lot of growth and maturity occurs with both characters development through these opportunities. Thank you Mr Fellowes for the many hours of enjoyment and excitement you've brought to my family through your creation!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And, Mr. Fellowes, for not writing this to be a "happily ever after" fairy tale.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I was so enormously proud of Daisy... I actually cried. Yup, I sure did. I loved how she finally handled things with Alfred.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

I know that Anna works for Mary, but who is Edith's assistant?

I don't think we've seen that maid yet. Before Mary married Matthew, Anna helped dress & do hair for all the daughters. I guess you don't get your own personal Lady's Maid until you are married, and Anna became Mary's. So someone else is helping Edith out, but I guess Julian Fellowes hasn't figured out a way to work her into the plot yet.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

That's my take on it too. Edith doesn't have a lady's maid. IIRC, Anna was the maid for all of the sisters until Mary got married.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Oh, I see. I just thought it was Mary getting favored over Edith. lol

I guess it's possible that Bates caused the rapist to trip and fall, but I just can't believe that he would take such a bold and risky move. If he did do it, I think I would be quite bothered if I were Anna.

I rewatched some parts and they did show Bates walking away from Downton carrying his cane.

I do wonder about the dialogue between Anna and Mary after Mary told Anna of the man's sudden death. Anna looked surprised, asked how it happened, and said she was relieved. Mary asked her, "Why do you say that?" Well, I think it's obvious that she would be relieved that the man who raped and beat her is dead and no longer a threat to her or other women. I don't find that odd at all and I wouldn't ask someone why they were relieved as Mary did. It didn't fit, IMO. I'll chalk it up to poor scripting.

In a question and answer session of an interview someone asked Jullian Fellowes about a lady's maid for Edith. He replied that she did have one and gave her name - but explained that she wasn't seen on camera. There are, supposedly, many more servants besides the ones we see on camera and who are given lines. As JF said, if they had lines, "Then you have to pay them more!"

The single daughters did share a maid (Anna,) and Mary, as a married woman became entitled to her own. However, Edith as she is the only single daughter left, couldn't be expected to dress herself now could she?!

Just as one more note, the cast said in an interview that once Sybil (Jessica) tried to dress herself and came down with her dress on backwards!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I do wonder about the dialogue between Anna and Mary after Mary told Anna of the man's sudden death. Anna looked surprised, asked how it happened, and said she was relieved. Mary asked her, "Why do you say that?" Well, I think it's obvious that she would be relieved that the man who raped and beat her is dead and no longer a threat to her or other women. I don't find that odd at all and I wouldn't ask someone why they were relieved as Mary did. It didn't fit, IMO. I'll chalk it up to poor scripting.
    Mary and Anna both were thinking Bates killed the guy. When Anna said she was relieved I think she was referring to there being witnesses to the "accident". I think Mary asked why because she too was thinking Bates did it and wanted Anna to confirm that Bates was innocent.
    ladygreco likes this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

+ Reply to Thread